U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sweden is more like
Finland 13 12.87%
Norway 88 87.13%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,833,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Genetically the most atypical Europeans are Finns! That makes your people unique and special, something to be proud of. Finns are not Germanic neither Slavic, but Finnic.
Dude, did you really think a Finn wouldn't know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 AM

643 posts, read 667,586 times
Norway has all that money in their Norwegian oil fund.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 AM

23,682 posts, read 65,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Norway has all that money in their Norwegian oil fund.
Does that make them more similar to Sweden?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:45 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,583,450 times
Norway sux

Old 04-06-2014, 11:13 AM

15,490 posts, read 17,657,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Norway sux
And Finland blows. That's why all the trees in Sweden lean to the west. Har har!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM

4,340 posts, read 3,632,733 times
So that is where those cold Artic winds come from across the North Sea. By blowing Finns.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 20,843 times
"Finns are definitely not "exotic people" in Europe. I guess the Finnish-Swedish historical relationship (after the split) is quite similar to the English-Irish relationship. The English racists depicted the Irish as black Africans or closer related to them, the Swedish racists thought that the Finns were of Asian origin. The Irish and Finns were "uncivilized low classes" in England/USA and Sweden, respectively." "If the Finns aren't "white" due speaking an Uralic language and maybe having ancient and minor "Asian" DNA, then African Americans and not fully Spanish-descended South/Central Americans are white Iberians because of having Spanish or Portuguese ancestry and speaking Indo-European languages. The analogy doesn't really last. But then again, there are lots of Americans who think that ethnic Spaniards aren't white but exactly the same as Mexicans. So I guess Finns are not alone about being victims of ignorance." "And Finns aren't the only group where you can cherry pick images of individuals with "Asian-looking" eyes. Even Brits are capable of having it, like Diana Rigg, Chris Rea and Timothy West. No ethnic group is "pure". The Europeans ancestors all came from somewhere in Asia, humans never emerged there."

It is also good to remember this kind of facts;
"A lot of 'Finns' have direct Germanic Swedish heritage. Many Swedes settled in Finland in the Middle Ages and lived in insular settlements, not marrying into the local population much. But when Sweden lost Finland in 1809 and Russia took over, Swedes were disenfranchised and Finnish was privileged, as a result of which large numbers of ethnic Swedes 'converted' into Finns and changed their names and surnames." This kind of heritage history is very very common in Finland". For example my great-grandfather made the decision in the year 1907 that from now on we only talk Finnish and we changed our Swedish names and surnames to Finnish. My Great-Grandfather was "Fennoman" ""Swedes we are not no-longer, Russians we do not want to become, let us therefore be Finns."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Ivar_Arwidsson

Conclusion, Today Finns are mixed race between the Finno-Ugric and Germanic tribes.

Here are several pictures of the Finnish athletes.
They all are national teams athletes and represent Finnish from all around the Finland.
Researchers predict the last truly natural blonde will be born in Finland - the country with the highest proportion of blondes;
http://i.imgur.com/AyUd6gC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/n0uCIq1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KqATJFa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MimqfeK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sdpSnNp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bMHStLf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uwUZi4N.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GSTQaCu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DsW68WN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7lZJb5a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m99TnuJ.jpg

FINLAND IS THE COUNTRY WITH THE HIGHEST PROPROTION OF BLONDES.
"According to this map – and if you really believe that blondes have less brains –a nasty fall like that is more likely to happen in the central parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland, where at least 80% of the population is fair-haired, the highest figure in all of Europe."
Frequency of fair eyes in Europe;
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/geneti...f_europe.shtml

Here are some direct speech from doctoral thesis : "Genetic structure in Finland and Sweden : aspects of population history and gene mapping" ;
" Finns appear to be genetically closest to Swedes, Estonians, Germans, and Poles, among others (Seldin et al. 2006, Bauchet et al. 2007, Lao et al. 2008, Novembre et al. 2008, McEvoy et al. 2009, Nelis et al. 2009).
"The genetic structure of populations is a potential source of population history information and an important factor in gene mapping studies. The main aim of this thesis was to study the population structure in Finland and Sweden using, for the first time, genome-wide data from thousands of single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) markers. Furthermore, this thesis introduced a novel gene mapping approach, subpopulation difference scanning (SDS), and tested its theoretical applicability in the Finnish population.
The study subjects included 280 Finnish and 1525 Swedish individuals, and genotypes from Russian, German, British and other populations served as reference data. The results revealed that the Finns differed clearly from central Europeans. Within Finland, the genetic difference between eastern and western Finns was striking. The Finns, particularly eastern Finns, also showed reduced genetic diversity as well as an increased genetic affinity to East Asian reference populations. In Sweden, the overall population structure seemed clinal and lacked strong borders. The population in southern Sweden was relatively homogeneous and genetically close to the Germans and British, while the northern subpopulations differed from the south and also from each other. Overall, these results are congruent with earlier observations from smaller numbers of markers and with population history, particularly the small population sizes that have led to genetic drift. "Although the Finnish gene pool is mainly European, it also harbors distinct eastern elements. Estimates of the relative contributions of these sources to the nuclear gene pool have been 75% European and 25% non-European (Nevanlinna 1984) or 90% European and 10% Uralic (Guglielmino et al.1990)." Finns appear to be genetically closest to Swedes, Estonians, Germans, and Poles, among others (Seldin et al. 2006, Bauchet et al. 2007, Lao et al. 2008, Novembre et al. 2008, McEvoy et al. 2009, Nelis et al. 2009).
Link to 136 pages doctoral thesis : Genetic structure in Finland and Sweden : aspects of population history and gene mapping.
https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/36772

All respect to all great Asian people ;
So, if we compare Scandinavian and Finns genetic variations , we can see that it is 90% identical. Pale blue colour is that Finns ancient asian genetic which has less than 10 % part .
http://i.imgur.com/oMJQpYF.png
"This is part III of my series on human genetic variation; it is based on the same dataset as part I: Human genetic variation: the first 50 dimensions and part II: Human genetic variation: 124+ clusters with the Galore approach" "I have run ADMIXTURE on the 139-population/2,230-individua l dataset, starting from K=3 and increasing K for as long as the Bayes Information Criterion increases. There was a temporary dip in the BIC at K=4, which, surprisingly, I had also encountered when analyzing a worldwide craniometric dataset (for an updated version of that analysis look here)" Dienekes’ Anthropology Blog: Human genetic variation: the first ? components
Dienekes’ Anthropology Blog: Human genetic variation: the first ? components

It seems that some people believe that earth is still flat. Lets use new scientific research like this one; Here is wide investigation," Genes mirror geography within Europe. (Look Figure 1)", Distance between Finland to Sweden is about same as distance between Sweden to Germany. Population structure within Europe;
http://i.imgur.com/pmWjROBl.jpg
"Here we characterize genetic variation in a sample of 3,000 European individuals genotyped at over half a million variable DNA sites in the human genome. The resulting figure bears a notable resemblance to a geographic map of Europe (Fig. 1a)."
Genes mirror geography within Europe
Genes mirror geography within Europe

Finns has 7% ancient east-asian dna in their blood;
https://genographic.nationalgeograph...e-populations/

Well, it seems that Finns, Swedes and Danes are Europeans aboriginal residents and the rest of the people are immigrants. So Who is the original european ???? "Genetic tests reveal that a hunter-gatherer who lived 7,000 years ago had the unusual combination of dark skin and hair and blue eyes." "Scientists were able to extract DNA from a tooth of one of the ancient men and sequence his genome." "The team found that the early European was most closely genetically related to people in Sweden and Finland."
Hunter-gatherer European had blue eyes and dark skin - BBC News
Hunter-gatherer European had blue eyes and dark skin - BBC News

An international team of scientists have sequenced the genome of a 37,000-year-old male skeleton found in Kostenki in Russia." "From a genetic point of view he's an European," says Professor Eske Willerslev, Director of the Centre for GeoGenetics at the University of Copenhagen, who was involved in the new study, and adds: “Actually, he is closer to Danes, Swedes, Finns and Russians than to Frenchmen, Spaniards and Germans”.
Scandinavians are the earliest Europeans | Scandinavians are the earliest Europeans | ScienceNordic

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Or are they just Finnish influences?

What influences or examples do you have in mind? Some examples, perhaps.

I know there's some, but I would like to hear what they are in foreigners' eyes.
Finnish and Swedish in cooperation - Lexiophiles
"For over 600 years Swedish was Finland’s official language. This historical fact has, of course, left its mark. Even though Finnish is totally different from Swedish, there are a lot of loan words from the Swedish language – over 4000."

The other way round is a different story. There are few words that have been taken from Finnish to Swedish. What is remarkable is, that most of the Finnish loan words in Swedish are used in slang and among teenagers in Sweden.

For your attention my dear readers, here is a little example of some Finnish words that have been taken into the Swedish language and are widely used nowadays.

Swedish English Finnish
pojke (a boy) poika
känga (a shoe) kenkä
hyvens (good) hyvä,hyvin (slang)
kola (to die) kuolla (slang)

And the other way around – words that have been taken into the Finnish language from Swedish:

Swedish English Finnish
stol (chair) tuoli
strand (beach) ranta
gevär (rifle) kivääri
fånge (prisoner) vanki
gata (street) katu
ost (cheese) juusto
säng (bed) sänky
ämbar (bucket) ämpäri

Apart from these examples of loan nouns, I would like to mention a few verbs that have made their way from Swedish into Finnish:

Swedish English Finnish
vänta (to wait) ventata, venata
satsa (to invest in) satsata
tjäna (to earn) tienata

These loan verbs from Swedish are mostly used in Finnish slang.
Hopefully this short introduction gave you some information and an idea of the similarities between the Swedish and Finnish languages.

Finally I would also like to mention, that Mikael Agricola (the father of the Finnish language), who actually invented written Finnish from scratch and translated the first books (including the New Testament) into Finnish spoke Swedish as his mother tongue.

As you see, there is a tight connection between the Swedish and Finnish languages and if there would not have been, that would be just odd.

For a complete list of words that are identical in Finnish and Swedish (many of which are actually proper nouns), please see the attachment:

Same words in Swedish/Finnish list ( 762 words )
Finnish and Swedish in cooperation - Lexiophiles

Last edited by justfinn; 02-07-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Who is an ethnic Finn ??? Or we can ask in the same way that who is an ethnic Swedish, or who is an ethnic German or who is an ethnic American. All of these countries has lot of immigrants and today all nations are mixed.
Today Finns are mixed race between the Finno-Ugric and the Germanic tribes. There are several pictures of the Finnish athletes and they are all national teams athletes and represent Finnish from all around the Finland. Dont forget that Finland is the country with the highest proprotion of blondes, do you mean that this feature has comen from Asia ?

Finns has 7% ancient east-asian dna in their blood that is the truth;
For example lets compare Finnish and Danish "Regional ansestry"
https://genographic.nationalgeograph...e-populations/

FINNISH

This reference population is based on samples collected from people native to Finland. The dominant 57% northern European component likely reflects the earliest settlers in Europe, hunter-gatherers who arrived there more than 35,000 years ago. The 17% Mediterranean and 17% Southwest Asian percentages arrived later, with the spread of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent in the Middle East, over the past 10,000 years. As these early farmers moved into Europe, they spread their genetic patterns as well. Today, northern European populations retain the links to both earliest Europeans and these later migrants from the Middle East. The 7% Northeast Asian component reflects mixing with native Siberian populations, particularly the reindeer-herding Saami people of far northern Scandinavia.

DANISH

This reference population is based on samples collected from people living in Denmark. The dominant 53% Northern European component likely reflects the earliest settlers in Europe, hunter-gatherers who arrived there more than 35,000 years ago. The 30% Mediterranean and 16% Southwest Asian percentages arrived later, with the spread of agriculture from the Fertile Crescent in the Middle East over the past 10,000 years. As these early farmers moved into Europe, they spread their genetic patterns as well. Today, northern European populations retain the links to both earliest Europeans and these later migrants from the Middle East.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 AM

History of settlement and migration of Finland

THE ORIGINS OF FINNS "The latest research on mitochondrial genotype seems to strengthen the view that the Finns are genetically mostly Indoeuropean population. Genetics in general present the view that the original Finnish people have been the dominant population in Finland through the centuries although there has been a significant mixture from migration in various times. Therefore the Finns are related to the Balts, Germanic people and Balticfinns. Thus the genes of the Finnish people are mainly of western origin as well as those of the other nations which were proceeding northwards at the end of the recent glacial period. The language has come from the east and belongs to the Uralic family although it contains many loanwords from Indoeuropean languages such as Baltic, Germanic and Russian."
BACKGROUND FACTS OF THE MIGRATION HISTORY OF FINLAND

"The first signs of human life in Finland are from the 8th millennium B.C. " So, we are discussing something about 10 000years old things. Do you mean that nothing has happend in Finland during last 10 000years ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or