U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sweden is more like
Finland 13 12.87%
Norway 88 87.13%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM

30 posts, read 20,813 times

Advertisements

How cares what kind of situation was in Finland 10 000years ago.
Today Finns genetic variations is like this;

So, if we compare Scandinavian and Finns genetic variations , we can see that it is 90% identical. Pale blue colour is that Finns ancient asian genetic which has less than 10 % part .
http://i.imgur.com/oMJQpYF.png
"This is part III of my series on human genetic variation; it is based on the same dataset as part I: Human genetic variation: the first 50 dimensions and part II: Human genetic variation: 124+ clusters with the Galore approach" "I have run ADMIXTURE on the 139-population/2,230-individua l dataset, starting from K=3 and increasing K for as long as the Bayes Information Criterion increases. There was a temporary dip in the BIC at K=4, which, surprisingly, I had also encountered when analyzing a worldwide craniometric dataset (for an updated version of that analysis look here)"
Dienekes’ Anthropology Blog: Human genetic variation: the first ? components

Lets use new scientific research like this one; Here is wide investigation," Genes mirror geography within Europe. (Look Figure 1)", Distance between Finland to Sweden is about same as distance between Sweden to Germany. Population structure within Europe;
http://i.imgur.com/pmWjROBl.jpg
"Here we characterize genetic variation in a sample of 3,000 European individuals genotyped at over half a million variable DNA sites in the human genome. The resulting figure bears a notable resemblance to a geographic map of Europe (Fig. 1a)"
Genes mirror geography within Europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,525,539 times
Reminder: Actually the populations of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and even Finland despite a big difference in language with Finnish folks are culturally similar. As soon as you get in that part of Northern Europe, you see that. Genetically these populations adding to that of Iceland and Faroes Isles have the highest frequency of the KITLG gene which is responsible for the "true" or Nordic or light blonde hair. You know where the stereotype came from.

Illustrated by the Swedish person below:

Now genetically, there seem to be a difference in which the Swedes particularly the southern Swedes to be close to the Germans (northern in particular) and the British, while their genetical distance to the Finns who are right next door to them is longer. This is according to the largest genetic study of the Swedish population yet. Though there were also subtle genetical differences between the northern and southern Swedes, with the genetical change from north to south described as gradual. The study according to the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden and the University of Helsinki in Finland. "Despite close contact within the Nordic region, the Swedes appeared genetically closer to Germans and British than to Finns", says Professor Juha Kere from the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition at the Karolinska Institutet.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM

"According to this map – and if you really believe that blondes have less brains –a nasty fall like that is more likely to happen in the central parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland, where at least 80% of the population is fair-haired, the highest figure in all of Europe." Frequency of fair eyes in Europe;
Genetic maps of Europe - Europe Guide - Eupedia

Old 02-08-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Or are they just Finnish influences?

What influences or examples do you have in mind? Some examples, perhaps.

I know there's some, but I would like to hear what they are in foreigners' eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Reminder: Actually the populations of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and even Finland despite a big difference in language with Finnish folks are culturally similar. As soon as you get in that part of Northern Europe, you see that. Genetically these populations adding to that of Iceland and Faroes Isles have the highest frequency of the KITLG gene which is responsible for the "true" or Nordic or light blonde hair. You know where the stereotype came from.

Illustrated by the Swedish person below:

Now genetically, there seem to be a difference in which the Swedes particularly the southern Swedes to be close to the Germans (northern in particular) and the British, while their genetical distance to the Finns who are right next door to them is longer. This is according to the largest genetic study of the Swedish population yet. Though there were also subtle genetical differences between the northern and southern Swedes, with the genetical change from north to south described as gradual. The study according to the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden and the University of Helsinki in Finland. "Despite close contact within the Nordic region, the Swedes appeared genetically closer to Germans and British than to Finns", says Professor Juha Kere from the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition at the Karolinska Institutet.

Here is link to that research, "Genetic structure in Finland and Sweden : aspects of population history and gene mapping;"
Open pdf file and you can start to read , 136 side
https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/36772

Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 AM

222 posts, read 269,057 times
Probably Norway thanks to the smaller language barrier, but not with nearly as much as the poll is currently showing. Sweden has more in common with Finland than Norway in some areas. Off the top of my head:

- Outside NATO and EU members

- Swedish is an official language in Finland, not in Norway.

- Midsommar/Juhannus celebration (no big deal in Norway)

- A special hockey and athletics rivalry

- Landscape. Cottages by lakes and forests.

- Identical roadsigns and license plates (3 letters and 3 numbers)

And probably more...

Old 02-09-2016, 08:44 AM

Finland was something about 650 years (1150 - 1809) east part of Swedish kingdom. If you want to know differences between Nordic/Scandinavian countries, this funny book tell something; ( i have read it and laughed )
"Michael Booth is the author of The Almost Nearly Perfect People: Behind the Myth of the Scandinavian Utopia.
He tells NPR's Rachel Martin about how culturally different Scandinavian countries really are."

"That's really what started my idea of this book about 10 years ago when I first spent time in Denmark and kind of [saw] the weird, dysfunctional family dynamic there is up here. ... I thought of Scandinavians as just one big, homogenous, bearded, you know, cycling, maybe with a pipe. But they are radically different. Even within Sweden, from north Sweden to south Sweden [they are] very, very different peoples. And then I learned what the Danes thought about the Swedes and what the Finns thought about the Swedes and what the Swedes thought — the great, juicy gossip that journalists love, you n how culturally different these countries are"

Interview: Michael Booth, Author Of 'The Almost Nearly Perfect People' : NPR
The Almost Nearly Perfect People: the Truth about the Nordic Miracle, by Michael Booth, review - Telegraph
The Almost Nearly Perfect People: The Truth About the Nordic Miracle by Michael Booth

Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,525,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfinn View Post
"According to this map – and if you really believe that blondes have less brains –a nasty fall like that is more likely to happen in the central parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland, where at least 80% of the population is fair-haired, the highest figure in all of Europe." Frequency of fair eyes in Europe;
Genetic maps of Europe - Europe Guide - Eupedia
What foolishness is that? Blonde people aren't dumb! The smartest girl, I have ever met while still in high school in the 10th grade was a very blonde girl ("snow blonde"). This is probably why I've never stuck to that useless stereotype. Some of the most beautiful women in the world are blondes! Why do you think many women dye their hair blonde? So probably in central Norway, Sweden and Finland, there are very good-looking people!

Blondism in Scandinavia [ From highest to lowest].
Finland
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Faroe Isles
Iceland

Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 AM

9,816 posts, read 10,051,938 times
As an American who has only visited Sweden and Finland one time, I was not even aware this was an open question. I always thought Scandinavian trumped Nordic. I know that the United Kingdoms of Sweden and Norway, was more of a personal union of separate kingdoms , but I always thought the tie was stronger than with any other country.

The tie between USA and Canada is interesting because the nation of Canada was created primarily because the British were afraid that post civil war USA would conquer Canada. While the independence movement in Canada undoubtedly existed, the impetus for independence came from the UK. The idea was that the USA would respect an independent nation, but as long as it remained a territory, the USA would eventually conquer and absorb it.

In 1870 the population of Canada was 3.625 million compared to 38.56 million in USA and 27.8 million in UK.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
What foolishness is that? Blonde people aren't dumb! The smartest girl, I have ever met while still in high school in the 10th grade was a very blonde girl ("snow blonde"). This is probably why I've never stuck to that useless stereotype. Some of the most beautiful women in the world are blondes! Why do you think many women dye their hair blonde? So probably in central Norway, Sweden and Finland, there are very good-looking people!

Blondism in Scandinavia [ From highest to lowest].
Finland
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Faroe Isles
Iceland
This is just bulls*it from you. Icelanders are more or less norwegians you fool.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,712 times
Norway is probably the most stereotyped country in Europe. Everything from comunist to nazist. They are hunting christians. The whole country has the same climate as Svalbard island. Everybody is at least 1,90m tall. Oslo is 100% muslim. So tired of all this BS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or