U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Europe on its way to becoming an Anglophone continent?
No way, not in a trillion years 31 47.69%
Maybe in a thousand years 10 15.38%
Maybe in a hundred years 14 21.54%
It's happening already and yes, eventually Europe's native languages will go extinct 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,767,488 times
Reputation: 1095

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
There are people here who fully believe that they are British. You saying that we are confused about our nationality is very offensive.

Perhaps, you Americans should actually go and learn about Northern Ireland and its history instead of taking sides and being rude. It really irritates the hell out of me when you people sit and say that we are Irish whether we like it or not.
I didn't say you are confused, I say: why do you get angry when someone call you by mistake by other nationality? for example if they call you "French" or whatever.

I am not American if you read my location, and I am not offended (being American is not an insult, good example) but I am sure they are happy to read your opinion about them

It's funny that someone who claim that everybody MUST speak English everywhere is asking to others for more culture and respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,411,259 times
Reputation: 3107
Because, it is a sensitive issue and it is very rude to say that we are confused about our nationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,767,488 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Because, it is a sensitive issue and it is very rude to say that we are confused about our nationality.
Haha stay in your line, please learn how to read first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 5,092,775 times
Reputation: 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Haha stay in your line, please learn how to read first.
I don't think it would be a problem, if you would call someone from the Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland a Spaniard (or something else), because it would be obvious that that's not the case. But given the history of this place, the people there are really sensitive being called British/Irish/Northern Irish/..., when they are truly not.

It's probably the same with Austrians being called German, but there isn't that much of a political tension in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 AM
 
7,143 posts, read 7,919,208 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Ask someone in anywhere else in the UK what a person from Northern Ireland is and you'll get "Irish". Irrespective of religion, The Plantation of Ulster, self-identification, whatever.

thats because a sizeable percentage of mainland brits are ignorant of thier own history

btw , its also why so many people brand the troubles in northern ireland as an irish problem , it was every bit as much and more a british problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM
 
7,143 posts, read 7,919,208 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Actually, it depends. I have seen english people who have called us Northern Irish.

Either way, they know what you mean when you say Northern Irish.

Hon,your just another american who has no right to give an opinion on the issue.

your know little about americans if you think they will ever accept the idea of having no right to an opinion , goes against everything that they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM
 
7,143 posts, read 7,919,208 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I didn't say you are confused, I say: why do you get angry when someone call you by mistake by other nationality? for example if they call you "French" or whatever.

I am not American if you read my location, and I am not offended (being American is not an insult, good example) but I am sure they are happy to read your opinion about them

It's funny that someone who claim that everybody MUST speak English everywhere is asking to others for more culture and respect.

if you were familiar with the ulster scots trait of hypocrosy , it would not seem that funny to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,411,259 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
if you were familiar with the ulster scots trait of hypocrosy , it would not seem that funny to you
Where do you live that you even think you can say things like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 08:40 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,056,840 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
thats because a sizeable percentage of mainland brits are ignorant of thier own history

btw , its also why so many people brand the troubles in northern ireland as an irish problem , it was every bit as much and more a british problem
Lol, that's because the only history they teach in British schools is World War II and some of World War I. You're left wondering why Ireland is split in 2, why the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand exist. You don't know why the various Indo-Europeans settled they way they did, because history did not exist prior to the 1910s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
5,599 posts, read 8,229,036 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, that's because the only history they teach in British schools is World War II and some of World War I. You're left wondering why Ireland is split in 2, why the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand exist. You don't know why the various Indo-Europeans settled they way they did, because history did not exist prior to the 1910s.
That's nonsense. Here is an idea of what's taught between age 11 and 14 for example (much of it unchanged from when I was in school):
History KS3 | History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top