Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Europe on its way to becoming an Anglophone continent?
No way, not in a trillion years 31 47.69%
Maybe in a thousand years 10 15.38%
Maybe in a hundred years 14 21.54%
It's happening already and yes, eventually Europe's native languages will go extinct 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,125,637 times

Advertisements

It seems english fluency in europe is mostly a northern european phenomena. To my knowledge still very few southern and eastern europeans/russians have fluency in english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,468,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the majority of people who live in northern ireland are not irish , you insult a large number of people through your implication
Why people consider an insult when someone else is confused or call others by other nationality? I have been told Italian/Portuguese etc... and I don't feel insulted. Just the other person was mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Wait a second... Why English? Why can't it be French? Or Spanish? Or Italian or German?
Yes true, Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the world actually, after Chinese.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM

667 posts, read 936,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Physicist Michio Kaku believes that as we become a Type 1 Civilization, we will eventually all speak one language and that most likely it will be English. English is already the lingua franca of the world, and 300 million people in China are learning it. When a German and a Swede need to speak to each other in a European hostel, they will often use English as their common medium. In many European countries more music is sung in English than in the native language.

Do you think English will become so dominant that eventually European children will start forgetting the language of their parents and will be raised in English? Or are Europeans too proud of their heritage for that to happen?
As long as France exist English language has not even smallest chance to replace native languages of europeans.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 PM

666 posts, read 1,283,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well, because it is an international language that so many people know, its influence covers alot of countries. USA, UK, Canada, Australia, hong Kong.

Quite alot.

French or Spanish have nowhere near the size of influence that English has. I mean Spanish is really only in South America, Mexico and Spain and perhaps the carribean.
Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world and certainly spoken everywhere, although in a less degree than English.

Still, there are many countries which do not have that much of an English-speaking population.

If you go to a country you cannot simply go there and say to a native to speak English. Try do that in Mexico- it could end up pretty bad.

English is the language of business no doubt. But is is not the language of all the world. If you want to go to country with a different language, take your dictionary with you and try to learn from the culture you will visit. Unless you are going for business reasons, you can't impose English in another country that is not anglophone.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM

666 posts, read 1,283,535 times
I have even heard that many Europeans that do not speak English or Spanish prefer that you speak Spanish over English. I guess that the British's "not so friendly" reputation in Europe is analogous to what Latinos here in the Americans feel for the Americans and their "English-only" attitude. It would be impossible to learn all the languages of all the regions we visit, but to impose our language over them is kind of invasive and unacceptable.

Don't be lazy. At least take a dictionary, if you have a tablet you can download Google Translate and just write in English and read the translation, it may not be grammatically correct but at least the natives of the country you go to will appreciate your effort to learn their culture. You are certainly not going to be welcome if you go to a foreign country and impose your language there. You might end up wanting to leave and have a really wrong impression of the country you visit. If you can't, then simply stay on Ireland and try visit the Anglophone countries only. Fortunately for English speakers there is a lot of things to see in the Anglophone world, you have the US, Canada, Jamaica, some of the Lesser Antilles, several countries in Africa, UK, Australia, NZ and some Pacific Islands. You choose.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,780,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Why people consider an insult when someone else is confused or call others by other nationality? I have been told Italian/Portuguese etc... and I don't feel insulted. Just the other person was mistaken.

Yes true, Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in the world actually, after Chinese.
By the sounds of things, you know very little about Northern Ireland.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,531,468 times
Quote:
the majority of people who live in northern ireland are not irish , you insult a large number of people through your implication
Quote:
that was my point , most people accept that two different nationalitys live in northern ireland , around 47% british - 43% irish , roughly speaking
Ask someone in anywhere else in the UK what a person from Northern Ireland is and you'll get "Irish". Irrespective of religion, The Plantation of Ulster, self-identification, whatever.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 AM

Actually, it depends. I have seen english people who have called us Northern Irish.

Either way, they know what you mean when you say Northern Irish.

Hon,your just another american who has no right to give an opinion on the issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,468,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
By the sounds of things, you know very little about Northern Ireland.
It was a question, come on explain me the insult thing, I want to know.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
It was a question, come on explain me the insult thing, I want to know.
There are people here who fully believe that they are British. You saying that we are confused about our nationality is very offensive.

Perhaps, you Americans should actually go and learn about Northern Ireland and its history instead of taking sides and being rude. It really irritates the hell out of me when you people sit and say that we are Irish whether we like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe