Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM

561 posts, read 1,126,058 times

Advertisements

I looked it up but I need further explanation. Im from the US and that phrase is not known here. The only thing I can find in relation to it is the Crabs in A Pot Scenario. When one crab tries to escape the pot, another will grab onto it to keep it in the pot, like in a "if i cant escape ,then you cant either".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,822,176 times
Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term primarily used in the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,432,435 times
Usually it means the desire to cut down or chop off the (metaphorical) head of someone who's doing extremely well for themselves. You see this a lot in many tabloids: as soon as someone starts becoming successful in their chosen profession, some nasty little reporter has to find (invent) something scandalous or disreputable to publish about them in order to cut them down to size.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

561 posts, read 1,126,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Usually it means the desire to cut down or chop off the (metaphorical) head of someone who's doing extremely well for themselves. You see this a lot in many tabloids: as soon as someone starts becoming successful in their chosen profession, some nasty little reporter has to find (invent) something scandalous or disreputable to publish about them in order to cut them down to size.
oh well tat happens here all the time. Wow I have seen that so often I guess I never amounted it to anything

Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,236,833 times
its something which is common in countries like ireland ( though less so than in the past ) , the uk , australia , new zealand , only we dont call it tall poppy syndrome in ireland

its the complete anthesetis of the american attitude to life where when someone makes it big , the majority of people cheer for them and say to themselves , perhaps i could emulate that winner if i put my mind to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe