U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,433,035 times
Reputation: 3107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
How has the debt crisis changed Europe?
Do you see the possibility of the EU changing with some countries withdrawing?
How has it affected the average person?
What are the feelings about government and banks?
How has Europe changed?

It has gotten in more Debt. The UK, is finally more willing to leave the EU.

Something I am absolutely estatic about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM
 
7,144 posts, read 7,930,461 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The problem in the US thought is people are living a comfortable life, but not really accumulating any real wealth.
Only about 60% of the population are property owners and of those, most will not ever pay off their homes.
In fact many will through reverse mortgages, end up selling their equity back to the banks before they die.
The way I look at it, if you work your entire life and do not accumulate anything to pass on to your children for their upward mobility, you are really little more than a modern day slave, and your heirs are destined to be the same.
Meanwhile the banks and corporations are becoming obscenely wealthy from the work of the people

whats strange about america in particular is how many people vote against thier own interests , i dont know how anyone on a low( ish ) income with an ounce of self preservation could vote republican when they demonstrabley prioritise donald trumps tax rate above joe the plumbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,302,400 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
whats strange about america in particular is how many people vote against thier own interests , i dont know how anyone on a low( ish ) income with an ounce of self preservation could vote republican when they demonstrabley prioritise donald trumps tax rate above joe the plumbers
Voting for most people in this country is choosing the lesser of 2 evils. While the Republicans are vilified for their preferential treatment of upper income taxes and spending massive amounts on military, the Democrats have bankrupted the country with welfare programs that take from people their initiative to work and succeed, and endless bureaucracy that rob our freedom.
We basically have a rub between people who value freedom, the values the country was founded on and the chance to excel, pitted against a large immigrant population who want something for nothing, and have discovered that all they need to do is vote to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 5,099,495 times
Reputation: 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We basically have a rub between people who value freedom, the values the country was founded on and the chance to excel, pitted against a large immigrant population who want something for nothing, and have discovered that all they need to do is vote to get it.
As a European, this seems to be a bit odd. I mean, you pump billions of dollars into your military just to play world police, but you are unwilling to provide your citizens some basic healthcare? And you seriously state that you "value freedom" as an argument for that?

Well, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,693 posts, read 4,650,005 times
Reputation: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
As a European, this seems to be a bit odd. I mean, you pump billions of dollars into your military just to play world police, but you are unwilling to provide your citizens some basic healthcare? And you seriously state that you "value freedom" as an argument for that?

Well, well...
Very, very, very good post! This is what I and many others I know are so angry about here in the US, it seems silly to be wasting money by the billions and even trillions of $ on the worldwide military empire but yet don't want to "waste" any money on repairing roads or schools or fixing health care coverage. There is a large portion of our population who are not smart enough to understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,302,400 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
As a European, this seems to be a bit odd. I mean, you pump billions of dollars into your military just to play world police, but you are unwilling to provide your citizens some basic healthcare? And you seriously state that you "value freedom" as an argument for that?

Well, well...
America's military strength is the only reason you are not living under German or Soviet occupation right now. Considering you do not pay a penny for it, it is odd that you would criticize it.
By the way the US still has the best health care system in the world both for those who pay for it, and for those who take advantage of the system by not insuring themselves and knowing that hospitals are required by law to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 5,099,495 times
Reputation: 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
America's military strength is the only reason you are not living under German or Soviet occupation right now. Considering you do not pay a penny for it, it is odd that you would criticize it.
So, you are justifying the recent military expenditures because of a war 70 years ago? And we didn't pay a penny? Ever heard of war reparations?
I guess you are also expecting Vietnamese people to be grateful for what your military did in their country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
By the way the US still has the best health care system in the world both for those who pay for it, and for those who take advantage of the system by not insuring themselves and knowing that hospitals are required by law to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay.
I highly doubt that. See: http://www.who.int/whr/2000/en/whr00_en.pdf or World Health Organization ranking of health systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . But you are right. You can probably have the best treatment when you pay enough money.

But anyway, I don't really give a damn about what you are doing in your country. It's definitely not my tax money that gets wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,302,400 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So, you are justifying the recent military expenditures because of a war 70 years ago? And we didn't pay a penny? Ever heard of war reparations?.
Yes well thatís what happens to losers. Ever heard of the Marshal Plan? Perhaps you would have been better off if we allowed Austria to be taken by the Soviets? [quote]
Quote:
'I guess you are also expecting Vietnamese people to be grateful for what your military did in their country?
As far as Vietnam goes, it was a tragedy for the Vietnamese people, but the real atrocities were committed by the communists. Communists have been responsible for nearly 100 million deaths worldwide, which even makes the holocaust, as satanic as that was, seem minor in comparison.
The US had to make a stand and unfortunately the place that stand was made was South East Asia. The Vietnamese people paid a huge price, but in the end that war broke the economic back of the Soviet Union.



Quote:
But you are right. You can probably have the best treatment when you pay enough money.

But anyway, I don't really give a damn about what you are doing in your country. It's definitely not my tax money that gets wasted
Not that I would expect you to know this, but we do not have different health care for rich and poor. Everyone gets the same treatment, by the same doctors, in the same hospitals. At least for now until the socialists allow the government to take it over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
 
7,144 posts, read 7,930,461 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Voting for most people in this country is choosing the lesser of 2 evils. While the Republicans are vilified for their preferential treatment of upper income taxes and spending massive amounts on military, the Democrats have bankrupted the country with welfare programs that take from people their initiative to work and succeed, and endless bureaucracy that rob our freedom.
We basically have a rub between people who value freedom, the values the country was founded on and the chance to excel, pitted against a large immigrant population who want something for nothing, and have discovered that all they need to do is vote to get it.

wellfare is miserly in the usa

freedom has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue we are discussing so why insert it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego California
6,797 posts, read 6,302,400 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
wellfare is miserly in the usa

freedom has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue we are discussing so why insert it
Because you were talking about people voting against their own interests, voting for freedom robbing bureaucracy is an example of voting against your own interests. That is if you value freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top