Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,579,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I am not referring to the average German. Since when do politicians act for their people's best interests?

If the future for Germany is bleak than god help the rest of Europe. The UK and France might as well just give up and forget about it.
Europe is a dying continent. At least the UK and France have a favorable demographic situation (compared to Germany). But noneoftheless the entire European continent is in for a terrible future. It seems though that the EU wants to bankrupt all member countries by forcing the northern countries to take on the debt of the southern countries. Oh well,.... We will see what the future will bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Look I did not start this. It was the other poster who began an unwarranted attack on the US for the Vietnam War.
That being said we have a saying in this country that you should not throw stones from glass houses.
After instigating two world wars, the people of Germany / Austria have little room to criticize anyone.
Considering Americas history it has no room to talk either. America is sitting in a glasshouse as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,268,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post

At the end of this Euro-mess. Germany will look exactly like Weimar Germany. But I know, the Germans should just shut up and pay the bill for the meal they never had. I am very glad that I left Germany last year and moved to Switzerland. The future of Germany looks very bleak. In about 20 years Germany will face a demographic catastrophe. On top of that the German tax payer has to pay the bill of the rest of Europe. But screw the hard-working Germans, afterall they are just Nazis and deserve what they get.
Let me take a look at my personal crystal ball. Hm, your right. Looks like yours. We're all doomed. In 20 years, 5 months and 7 days the catastrophe is going to kick in.

The average German today enjoys a much higher standard of living than he used to 10-20 years ago, so I don't see much of a problem there. By the way, if the sh*t really hits the fan Switzerland's not going to be a safe haven either. Might as well move to Mars to be safe.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,256,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Considering Americas history it has no room to talk either. America is sitting in a glasshouse as well.
I wonder if your other neighbor's in Europe have the same animosity towards us , I doubt it.
Given the choice between the US being the world’s sole superpower and Germany having that same status, I think most of the world would prefer the US.
In fact Vietnam, along with other countries now wants a larger US presence in South East Asia to keep the Chinese in check. Imagine that.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,306,993 times
You know, I don't think that anybody here feels animosity towards the US. I actually really like your country. But it definitely sucks when people like you constantly bring up the Nazi-era and expect us to think of the US as a messiah. Is that some kind of inferiority complex back from your days as a colony of GB?
Actually yeah, we are glad that you freed us during WW2. But me and my fellow Austrian citizens don't have to share your point of view in each and every political question, because of that.

Guess what: There are positive and negative aspects in each and every country.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You know, I don't think that anybody here feels animosity towards the US. I actually really like your country. But it definitely sucks when people like you constantly bring up the Nazi-era and expect us to think of the US as a messiah. Is that some kind of inferiority complex back from your days as a colony of GB?
Actually yeah, we are glad that you freed us during WW2. But me and my fellow Austrian citizens don't have to share your point of view in each and every political question, because of that.

Guess what: There are positive and negative aspects in each and every country.
Like I said, we were having a nice conversation until you started with the attacks, and I responded in kind.
I would prefer to get back to the economic discussion as my interest is the common points between the US and Europe in the current debt crisis.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,306,993 times
Go back a few pages. I expressed my point of view, that a country should rather invest in it's people instead of pumping unimaginable sums of money in its military. Then you came across with WW2 and that we should be glad about it. After that I mentioned Vietnam.
Remember the glasshouses now? But okay, back to our economy.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I wonder if your other neighbor's in Europe have the same animosity towards us , I doubt it.
Given the choice between the US being the world’s sole superpower and Germany having that same status, I think most of the world would prefer the US.
In fact Vietnam, along with other countries now wants a larger US presence in South East Asia to keep the Chinese in check. Imagine that.
Actually Germany is much more liked than America by miles. Recent pools have shown that. So your point is moot. We can keep on throwing stones but you will always be on the losing end here. The U.S. is very much hated all across the globe (I would like to add I do not hate America but while we are at it I'm just pointing it out). Choosing between America and China in South East Asia is choosing between the lesser evil. For those countries it's all about balancing power and influence.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Let me take a look at my personal crystal ball. Hm, your right. Looks like yours. We're all doomed. In 20 years, 5 months and 7 days the catastrophe is going to kick in.

The average German today enjoys a much higher standard of living than he used to 10-20 years ago, so I don't see much of a problem there. By the way, if the sh*t really hits the fan Switzerland's not going to be a safe haven either. Might as well move to Mars to be safe.
Lol. That made me laugh. Everyone on this planet enjoys a much higher standard of living than 10-20 years ago. Why is Switzerland not a safer place than Germany if the fit hits the Shan? Switzerland doesn't use the Euro, has barely any government debt and capital will flee in masses to Switzerland from Germany and France if the Euro implodes.

Feeling safe in Switzerland......

Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Go back a few pages. I expressed my point of view, that a country should rather invest in it's people instead of pumping unimaginable sums of money in its military. Then you came across with WW2 and that we should be glad about it. After that I mentioned Vietnam.
Remember the glasshouses now? But okay, back to our economy.
Correction, you said the country spends too much on military, and I said that you benefit from that spending without personally paying for it. You then brought up Vietnam and I brought up WWII.
At any rate none of this has anything to do with the debt crisis that envelops both continents now.
The thing if find confusing about the situation both here and in Europe is how and why the people have seemed to just accept the fiscal policies that clearly benefit banks and corporate giants at the expense of the people and generations to come.
I do see more happening in Europe though that suggests a better understanding of the problem.
The tax increase on upper incomes in France is one example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe