U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,429,248 times
Reputation: 4409

Advertisements

Hey.

I am finding myself quite unhappy and unstimulated with my life at home/school. This has been going on for awhile now and I think I have managed to suppress it pretty well. I think I am generally just turned off from being in the same small city, same people and settings...nothing personal, I would just appreciate change.

I just came back from visiting some friends in Berlin, not really knowing what to expect, and then being totally impressed. It seems as though even a modest income can give a single, modest student a pretty generous life. Talking to people renting 300/month bachelor apartments in Mitte, or students sharing a two bedroom at 550 (\2)or so. Food is pretty cheap, public transport is extensive and great, and its so easy to just go out and have a beer or coffee anywhere. Totally different than what im used to in canada. Going out is a planned financial chore reserved for one day of the weekend. It seems to me like you can do okay with 700-800/month, total.

I would really like to take a break from studying and go off living here for a little while if the chance ever came up. Some of the Berliners I spoke to say work is had to come by if youre unqualified and a foreigner, others say there is a demand for construction and labour, no matter what. I'm not so sure what the actual case is.

Anyone have any experience or advice with handling something like this? im just looking in to this and would love a change of pace for a couple months to a year. Who knows, maybe it could take off for longer? It seems like i met so many people at a similar age who just moved there from somewhere, but i need to know more first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM
 
1,817 posts, read 2,752,933 times
Reputation: 3527
I lived there for close to 8 years, moved there with virtually nothing, so it can be done. I got VERY lucky in finding a job with no German skills and no degree; they sponsored my visa and it was very much a matter of being in the right place at the right time. There are a handful of companies that will hire native English speakers but you must understand that Berlin is also crawling with Brits who will take precedence over non-EU passport holders since they don't need a visa.

If you just want go for a few months, my advice would be to forget about trying to work there and save up as much cash as you can before you go. You can stay for up to 90 days in an 180 day period without a visa so I would recommend using that time to take some German lessons and network as much as you can. In my experience, people who are drawn to Berlin usually find a way to stay. It isn't easy but it isn't impossible either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,429,248 times
Reputation: 4409
Thanks fruitlassie.

I'm open to anything to make it out there for a little while. If I save some money and try to make it for the first few months off that, and look for work to supplement I suppose I can have some fun while trying to see where it gets me.

Is there any way to study in english in Berlin? I'm not trying to take the easy way out of immersion, but maybe it would be possible to just study through my current university internationally part time or something and use loans as stipend.

I'm really open to any options, I just need a little escape and something new for awhile. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 AM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,702,601 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Hey.

I am finding myself quite unhappy and unstimulated with my life at home/school. This has been going on for awhile now and I think I have managed to suppress it pretty well. I think I am generally just turned off from being in the same small city, same people and settings...nothing personal, I would just appreciate change.

I just came back from visiting some friends in Berlin, not really knowing what to expect, and then being totally impressed. It seems as though even a modest income can give a single, modest student a pretty generous life. Talking to people renting 300/month bachelor apartments in Mitte, or students sharing a two bedroom at 550 (\2)or so. Food is pretty cheap, public transport is extensive and great, and its so easy to just go out and have a beer or coffee anywhere. Totally different than what im used to in canada. Going out is a planned financial chore reserved for one day of the weekend. It seems to me like you can do okay with 700-800/month, total.

I would really like to take a break from studying and go off living here for a little while if the chance ever came up. Some of the Berliners I spoke to say work is had to come by if youre unqualified and a foreigner, others say there is a demand for construction and labour, no matter what. I'm not so sure what the actual case is.

Anyone have any experience or advice with handling something like this? im just looking in to this and would love a change of pace for a couple months to a year. Who knows, maybe it could take off for longer? It seems like i met so many people at a similar age who just moved there from somewhere, but i need to know more first.

300 Euros won't get you more than 30 m^2.

You're hardly providing any details...

Like, what's your major? You can check if your College offers study abroad programs, which they likely do, and see if it includes Berlin. If not, you will have to do it on your own, which is possible, but it will require some more work to get the classes transferred. I think you can work on a student visa in Germany, but only up to 25 hours per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,429,248 times
Reputation: 4409
Hey,

I don't need a lot of space. I won't be bringing much stuff, and I prefer compact areas anyways. Plus my indefinite status would make a small,cheap space easier anyhow.

I'm studying geography at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Canada. We do have abroad programs, but none that would get me inside Berlin. I'm fishing around to see if I can set this up on my own but it looks pretty difficult. I've seen your posts around before, you live in Germany, right? How do non-exchange students make stuff like this happen?

I'm thinking my best bet is to save some money, pay some rent and then come over and supplement my savings with some oddjobs. Looking on craigslist, seems like there's lots of temporary, one-off cleaning jobs for a few euros here and there.

If this doesn't work, I can always come home when the *** is up. I don't even for a second think I have a reasonable chance at a decent paying job in this city without an EU passport or in-demand skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,367 posts, read 3,051,041 times
Reputation: 2961
a lot of Masters programs are offered in English at many Euro Uni(s),

not too sure about undergrad, in order to study undergrad at a german uni you really need to pass a stringent foreign lang. test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 5,102,259 times
Reputation: 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm thinking my best bet is to save some money, pay some rent and then come over and supplement my savings with some oddjobs. Looking on craigslist, seems like there's lots of temporary, one-off cleaning jobs for a few euros here and there.
Without some sort of Visa (e.g. Student Visa) that allows working, you could get in serious troubles with immigration and a possible employer wouldn't even consider hiring you.

Brotip: Look for some English-language BA/MA program or go there as an exchange student. How? Best thing is to ask your university/the university you are planning to go to. There are also lots of infos on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,702,601 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Hey,

I don't need a lot of space. I won't be bringing much stuff, and I prefer compact areas anyways. Plus my indefinite status would make a small,cheap space easier anyhow.

I'm studying geography at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Canada. We do have abroad programs, but none that would get me inside Berlin. I'm fishing around to see if I can set this up on my own but it looks pretty difficult. I've seen your posts around before, you live in Germany, right? How do non-exchange students make stuff like this happen?

I'm thinking my best bet is to save some money, pay some rent and then come over and supplement my savings with some oddjobs. Looking on craigslist, seems like there's lots of temporary, one-off cleaning jobs for a few euros here and there.

If this doesn't work, I can always come home when the *** is up. I don't even for a second think I have a reasonable chance at a decent paying job in this city without an EU passport or in-demand skill.
You don't need to participate in any of your school's study abroad programs. Sometimes, though, it would make transferring the classes easier.
Talk to your school. I'm pretty sure you could transfer the classes on your own. Look it up, compare it to the classes at your school, and then bring the syllabus etc. to transfer it. As a matter of fact, I think that's my school did it, even if they had a partnership with the school abroad. I think you still had to do it yourself and there were no set classes that would transfer. I'd say this should also be possible in Canada.

I would go this route:

Working holiday visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Germany


Citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea and Taiwan aged between 18 and 30 may apply for a Working Holiday Visa. Citizens of Canada between 18 and 35 years of age may apply as well.[12] There is no limit on the duration of employment, during the stay of up to 12 months. Evidence of sufficient funds for the first three months are required (i.e. 250 euro per month). Among other nationalities Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders can remain in the country indefinitely if they find long-term work that they are uniquely qualified to do. This is subject to approval by the government employment office.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,429,248 times
Reputation: 4409
Okay, cool. Looks like Berlin doesn't offer any BA programs in english at all, but plenty of MAs. Tricky, because i'm an undergrad, but I also read once that the BA/MA thing is more perforated in Europe. Not sure if this is true, though.

The working holiday visa thing could be a good plan. I will contact some of the unis in Berlin, too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
 
Location: American Expat
2,189 posts, read 4,702,601 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Okay, cool. Looks like Berlin doesn't offer any BA programs in english at all, but plenty of MAs. Tricky, because i'm an undergrad, but I also read once that the BA/MA thing is more perforated in Europe. Not sure if this is true, though.

The working holiday visa thing could be a good plan. I will contact some of the unis in Berlin, too. Thanks.
"more perforated"? Care to elaborate?

I just did a quick search and it looks like there's nothing for geography taught in English.

The working holiday visa isn't just "good", it's pretty awesome for your situation. This will not be done though the school, though.
You can basically just go there and take up any job for up to 12 months. You can not do anything without a visa, and this is the only visa you can get. Unless you marry somebody..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top