U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,700,629 times
Reputation: 295

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As I understood it, it's not any supposed scammers who are being sued, it's the official who demanded a bribe. That shouldn't take long to prosecute.
Only if can prove that the official demanded a bribe. And for what? Public land is no longer sold "over the counter".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM
 
2,032 posts, read 2,409,404 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Only if can prove that the official demanded a bribe. And for what? Public land is no longer sold "over the counter".
ROL wrote: Buying private land is no different than in US. Today buying public land is also no different.

Well, if it's not sold over the counter, then it isn't really like buying land in the US then, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,700,629 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In both cases it was public land, my wife just told me. Why would you get arrested for buying public land?!
Before recently it was possible to buy public land "outside of the auction" - you paid a bribe, and officials created an auction that nobody knew about. Bribing is a criminal offense.

If he did everything legally, then, after winning the auction, nobody would be able to stop him from getting that land.

But it's obvious that he wanted to get it for a nominal price. And he was scammed half-way. Maybe, because laws changed.

There's no way to get such expensive property at a nominal price - somebody is guaranteed to bid something (a lot!) on the auction.

Even nominal prices changed dramatically...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
 
2,032 posts, read 2,409,404 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Before recently it was possible to buy public land "outside of the auction" - you paid a bribe, and officials created an auction that nobody knew about. Bribing is a criminal offense.

If he did everything legally, then, after winning the auction, nobody would be able to stop him from getting that land.

But it's obvious that he wanted to get it for a nominal price. And he was scammed half-way. Maybe, because laws changed.

There's no way to get such expensive property at a nominal price - somebody is guaranteed to bid something (a lot!) on the auction.

Even nominal prices changed dramatically...
He's refusing to pay the bribe. I've already written that. He's already paid for the land. He can't get the papers because he won't pay said bribe. Fairly straight forward, actually.
You act as if this is a strange occurrence in Russia. Would any Russian actually be surprised? My wife's not. Heck, her co-worker's not surprised, but he's patient. Why are you surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,204 posts, read 70,129,290 times
Reputation: 76042
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
There's no way to get such expensive property at a nominal price - somebody is guaranteed to bid something (a lot!) on the auction.

Even nominal prices changed dramatically...
You don't know what the person paid for the land, jeff didn't state the price paid. You're desperately grasping at straws as the ice beneath your feet gradually thins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,700,629 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Well, if it's not sold over the counter, then it isn't really like buying land in the US then, is it?
Both private and public land sales today are just like they are in US. Public sales are just as more complex than private.

Quote:
He's refusing to pay the bribe. I've already written that. He's already paid for the land. He can't get the papers because he won't pay said bribe. Fairly straight forward, actually.
If he bought the land, then he has all papers already!

I can only guess, what really happened. The most probable scenario is that he bought a right to the rental land, and tries to convert it to ownership. In Vladivostok that's an execise of impossibility - he can only sue the muni time and again, praying that some judge will give a favourable verdict.

BTW, the bribe is way too small even for pre-current times. If it's true, then I guess some beauracrat simply wanted to scam him.

Quote:
Why are you surprised?
Because what you've said makes no sense. Unlike your wife I know at least something about buying land here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,700,629 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't know what the person paid for the land, jeff didn't state the price paid. You're desperately grasping at straws as the ice beneath your feet gradually thins...
[mod cut: rude], $65k is NOTHING for any lot in Vladivostok's downtown. Critic something you've got at least some idea about...

Last edited by elnina; 11-03-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
 
2,032 posts, read 2,409,404 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Both private and public land sales today are just like they are in US. Public sales are just as more complex than private.


If he bought the land, then he has all papers already!

I can only guess, what really happened. The most probable scenario is that he bought a right to the rental land, and tries to convert it to ownership. In Vladivostok that's an execise of impossibility - he can only sue the muni time and again, praying that some judge will give a favourable verdict.

BTW, the bribe is way too small even for pre-current times. If it's true, then I guess some beauracrat simply wanted to scam him.


Because what you've said makes no sense. Unlike your wife I know at least something about buying land here.
Ok, ok, he paid for the land.

Well, that's kind of the whole point, isn't it? That would make it a bit different than buying land in the US, wouldn't it? How would you know what's the going rate for bribes if it's disappeared? Clairvoyance?

My wife is not her co-worker. He's the one telling us the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 PM
 
2,032 posts, read 2,409,404 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
[mod cut: rude] $65k is NOTHING for any lot in Vladivostok's downtown. Critic something you've got at least some idea about...
I didn't say the lot price was $65K, I said the bribe he's been asked to pay is. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited by elnina; 11-03-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM
 
1,730 posts, read 1,700,629 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Ok, ok, he paid for the land.
[Mod cut: offensive] Repeat: If he bought the land, then he has all papers already!

What in the world is he trying to get from some officials, if he has everything already? Unless he didn't buy the land...

Quote:
How would you know what's the going rate for bribes if it's disappeared?
I know what it was before.

Quote:
My wife is not her co-worker. He's the one telling us the information.
What you've said to this moment makes absolutely no sense. I'll repeat once again: if you've bought the land - you are the owner, and there's absolutely no need for any "stamp" to confirm it. The payment is released from escrow to seller only after ownership is yours!

Last edited by elnina; 11-03-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top