U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 AM

11,606 posts, read 6,366,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Have you even been to Ireland?
Yes. And rural areas in Ireland are far more "cut off" than rural areas in England. My sisters partner is Irish, his family live in the back of beyond & it is nothing like being in rural areas of England. I have been all around Ireland & even some of the larger towns & cities are still a way behind England...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 PM

426 posts, read 230,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Since the US is such a young country in terms of longevity compared to our European cousins, shouldn't this be what country is the US most like? The US is unique in terms of its culture. That is why we are called the "melting pot".

Since the largest ethnic group in the US is of German ancestry, why isn't Germany included in the discussion?
Really is that true? I feel lonely at times where I live because I don't know any Germans around here and even within the state for that matter. They are hard to find. I only know 1 german person who owns a restaurant and that's about it lol. Over here we have a lot of Irish, Russian and Italian decendants. There are also some greek decendants as well but other than that everyone else is from the rest of the world except other European countries. It's almost impossible meeting someone who's French, Romanian, Spanish out here. I guess maybe it also depends on which state?

Old 12-18-2016, 03:19 PM

649 posts, read 550,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
Really is that true? I feel lonely at times where I live because I don't know any Germans around here and even within the state for that matter. They are hard to find. I only know 1 german person who owns a restaurant and that's about it lol. Over here we have a lot of Irish, Russian and Italian decendants. There are also some greek decendants as well but other than that everyone else is from the rest of the world except other European countries. It's almost impossible meeting someone who's French, Romanian, Spanish out here. I guess maybe it also depends on which state?
Yes, as of the last census, people of German descent made up almost 50 million Americans, whereas, those of Irish descent were in the mid 30 millions. Immigrants from Germany vs descendants are two separate issues.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 AM

426 posts, read 230,282 times
I guess I mean just in general, I can't find anyone who came from Germany and anyone who has german ancestory out here, so I find that kind of sad since I always love to learn as much as I can and perhaps find someone I have common ground with. I only get that experience when I speak with my father and when I travel a few times a year to see my relatives in Germany. The only german immigrants I've spoken to around my area were college students and that was some years ago.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:42 AM

11,414 posts, read 3,897,802 times
Both England and Ireland have a greater similarity with each other than they do with many parts of the US.

A lot of English people have Irish Ancestry and England is home to the largest population of furst generation Irish outside of Ireland itself.

The Irish enjoy watching the Premier League and often support teams such as Liverpool or Man Utd, they enjoy the Six Nations Rugby and we all enjoy a pint.

All this England and Ireland stuff is nosense, indeed most people in England like Ireland and her people, and we now enjoy good relations.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:46 AM

7,756 posts, read 6,583,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Both England and Ireland have a greater similarity with each other than they do with many parts of the US.

A lot of English people have Irish Ancestry and England is home to the largest population of furst generation Irish outside of Ireland itself.

The Irish enjoy watching the Premier League and often support teams such as Liverpool or Man Utd, they enjoy the Six Nations Rugby and we all enjoy a pint.

All this England and Ireland stuff is nosense, indeed most people in England like Ireland and her people, and we now enjoy good relations.

Ireland and the UK are VERY close, geographically and culturally. Just like most neighbours on the planet we've had our 'differences' in the past but we are much closer to our Irish friends than we are to our neighbour on the other side.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,525,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Ireland and the UK are VERY close, geographically and culturally. Just like most neighbours on the planet we've had our 'differences' in the past but we are much closer to our Irish friends than we are to our neighbour on the other side.
I don't know about that though. Many Irish and Irish-Americans have great sympathy towards one another. Many Americans who have Irish ancestry go to Ireland for visits, and for the most part are welcome there.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I don't know about that though. Many Irish and Irish-Americans have great sympathy towards one another. Many Americans who have Irish ancestry go to Ireland for visits, and for the most part are welcome there.
Are you trying to tell us that Americans are actually welcome in Ireland!! Don't believe it for a second!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:32 PM

4,690 posts, read 8,525,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
The largest ethnic group in the United States of America are German-American. Many people don't know this, because German-Americans are not as "vocal" about it as the others. Even when America was predominantly Anglo-Saxon, there were still plenty of Germans who immigrated to America and just anglicized their names in order to avoid discrimination. Many of the soldiers (Red Coats) in the Revolutionary War were actually German mercenaries hired by the British. In the 1800's so many German people immigrated to the United States. In fact, Germans deeply impacted in some way our culture, but had to bow to the dominating Anglo-Saxon culture.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The largest ethnic group in the United States of America are German-American. Many people don't know this, because German-Americans are not as "vocal" about it as the others. Even when America was predominantly Anglo-Saxon, there were still plenty of Germans who immigrated to America and just anglicized their names in order to avoid discrimination. Many of the soldiers (Red Coats) in the Revolutionary War were actually German mercenaries hired by the British. In the 1800's so many German people immigrated to the United States. In fact, Germans deeply impacted in some way our culture, but had to bow to the dominating Anglo-Saxon culture.
America has NEVER been 'predominantly Anglo Saxon'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or