U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 AM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,834,737 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

I kinda feel like Ireland is a bit more like the US. Their accent sounds more like ours with its rhoticity, like in America religiosity didn't start to drop until the '90s, and they have a bit of a streak of passion. Also they heavily influenced American culture, especially the Scots-Irish from Ulster/Northern Ireland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 AM
 
7,145 posts, read 7,933,206 times
Reputation: 4370
first of all , the scots irish are not irish , they are british

ireland is too small to be compared to the usa on any significant level , it might be somewhat similar to parts of boston or new york but then again so are many countries , england is similar to the usa in that they were the founding fathers , in current terms , neither country is all that similar to america bar language etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 AM
 
274 posts, read 736,597 times
Reputation: 190
Irish

I now that there are millons of Ameriancs that are buy a parody of Irish, but Irsh indeed.
But I'd say atlantic Europe, Little Britanny, Galecia, the wrecks,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:26 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,438,881 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I kinda feel like Ireland is a bit more like the US. Their accent sounds more like ours with its rhoticity, like in America religiosity didn't start to drop until the '90s, and they have a bit of a streak of passion. Also they heavily influenced American culture, especially the Scots-Irish from Ulster/Northern Ireland.
Well, I have never been to the Deep South. In terms of religion the Presbyterians can be quite religious. However, the majority of them don't attend church. But those that do attend church can be quite bitter. The Presbyterians believe that the Bible is right and that nothing in the bible is wrong. They follow the bible like a brother, they also believe in predestination. Their christianity is a different type to Catholicism. Some branches do remind me of the Westboro baptist church. Some of the things that Shirley Phelps has said is very similar to their beliefs, for example, predestination. I think some presbyterians believe that you are going to hell unless you goto their church.

Accents, not really. But we do have a few words here on this island that only us and Americans say. For example, Couch or Scallion. Although, I think Scallion is Irish? The Mountains in WV apparently have a similar accent to the Ulster-Scots. I have heard this accent and some of the words are similar but it isn't anything like Ulster-Scots at all.

In terms, overall modern similarities i'd say that England is similar. They have more links. For example, alot of our Movies and Theatre productions are connected to the American programmes. I mean look at the X-Factor quite a few of our judges have been American. Nicole Scherzinger, being this years american judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,921 posts, read 7,712,036 times
Reputation: 4443
Ireland's not like America at all....

I don't know why you'd think this. The only similarity would be waving to each other in some of the more rural areas of the either country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,483 posts, read 17,641,870 times
Reputation: 30691
Yes the only thing about Americans that is remotely similar to the Irish is rural waving. (I refuse to use emoticons anymore, so imagine the little rolling eyes one here).

I was going to say England, but some patrons at the coffeeshop I am sitting at as I type this just started playing fiddle and pennywhistle and I must say its feeling pretty Irish in here at the moment.

Of course yesterday it was Django Reinhardt so maybe America is more mid-century French?

Oh, and I am going to start clubbing people who think the Scots-Irish are Irish ethnics right on the noggin. (just kidding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
 
7,145 posts, read 7,933,206 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well, I have never been to the Deep South. In terms of religion the Presbyterians can be quite religious. However, the majority of them don't attend church. But those that do attend church can be quite bitter. The Presbyterians believe that the Bible is right and that nothing in the bible is wrong. They follow the bible like a brother, they also believe in predestination. Their christianity is a different type to Catholicism. Some branches do remind me of the Westboro baptist church. Some of the things that Shirley Phelps has said is very similar to their beliefs, for example, predestination. I think some presbyterians believe that you are going to hell unless you goto their church.

Accents, not really. But we do have a few words here on this island that only us and Americans say. For example, Couch or Scallion. Although, I think Scallion is Irish? The Mountains in WV apparently have a similar accent to the Ulster-Scots. I have heard this accent and some of the words are similar but it isn't anything like Ulster-Scots at all.

In terms, overall modern similarities i'd say that England is similar. They have more links. For example, alot of our Movies and Theatre productions are connected to the American programmes. I mean look at the X-Factor quite a few of our judges have been American. Nicole Scherzinger, being this years american judge.

even i wouldnt compare ulster presbyterians to the family of fred phelps , those people are deranged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
 
7,145 posts, read 7,933,206 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yes the only thing about Americans that is remotely similar to the Irish is rural waving. (I refuse to use emoticons anymore, so imagine the little rolling eyes one here).

I was going to say England, but some patrons at the coffeeshop I am sitting at as I type this just started playing fiddle and pennywhistle and I must say its feeling pretty Irish in here at the moment.

Of course yesterday it was Django Reinhardt so maybe America is more mid-century French?

Oh, and I am going to start clubbing people who think the Scots-Irish are Irish ethnics right on the noggin. (just kidding).
its not about ethnicity , the group known as the scots irish identify with britain

no one is saying that a protestant cannot be irish or regard thier nationality as irish but the sub group known as the ulster scots or scots irish in america have always regarded themselves as british
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,438,881 times
Reputation: 3107
Lol.

I actually don't mind them. I can see where they are coming from. While they preach hatred they don't hurt anyone. What they are doing is what they believe is right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM
 
7,145 posts, read 7,933,206 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Lol.

I actually don't mind them. I can see where they are coming from. While they preach hatred they don't hurt anyone. What they are doing is what they believe is right
1. where ( in your opinion ) are they coming from ?

2. hitler believed he was doing right

3. dont hurt anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top