Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It looks like American siding. When a cluster of contemporary cottages was built outside Yakutsk in the 90's, everything had to be shipped in from Canada by a Canadian construction company. Everything.
I wouldn't doubt that the siding is Chinese or Korean. It could now be made locally, I really can't say.
I know that when my friend built his house on Russkiy Island they got their siding and roofing from Korea and their flooring from Italy. However, it is a very expensive home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I know that when my friend built his house on Russkiy Island they got their siding and roofing from Korea and their flooring from Italy. However, it is a very expensive home.
If I ever get back to the RFE, I'll be contacting you for your friends' contact info. I've gotta see this. And have some conversations!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
If I ever get back to the RFE, I'll be contacting you for your friends' contact info. I've gotta see this. And have some conversations!
No problemo!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Middle class housing, LOL, yeah, right. All the places you have posted are upper-middle class or upper-class, at least if they're in the city.
The city is pretty big. In downtown or Chaika - sure, upper middle at least. But in Vesennyaya land is quite a bit cheaper.

Quote:
I'll bet none of those places would sell for under 7m rubles ($230k +) which is hardly middle class.
The average apartment costs 5m, which is only 2m short from your huuuge 7m. 2m is just 27k a month in mortgage - perfectly doable for two middle class earners in a city, where average income is about 50k.

Plus a couple may easily have two apartments, or one bigger than average. Plus houses are generally built, not bought - that's a 30-50% saving.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It looks like American siding.
Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, German.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
The city is pretty big. In downtown or Chaika - sure, upper middle at least. But in Vesennyaya land is quite a bit cheaper.

The average apartment costs 5m, which is only 2m short from your huuuge 7m. 2m is just 27k a month in mortgage - perfectly doable for two middle class earners in a city, where average income is about 50k.

Plus a couple may easily have two apartments, or one bigger than average. Plus houses are generally built, not bought - that's a 30-50% saving.
You posted houses as examples of "middle class" houses, not flats.
Vessenaya is the middle of nowhere; I used to consult at Coca-Cola out there.
2m is quite a bit different from 5m, isn't it?!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
Massive or not, but about 300,000 apartments per year are financed by the state. Comparing to Soviet times - not massive at all.

Complete ownership. Here are apartments for sale in a recently built 100% free (all apartments were provided for free) district in Vladivostok:

Íåäâèæèìîñòü - Êâàðòèðû ïðîäàæà - Ïîèñê: ñíåãîâàÿ ïàäü

Very expensive.

Even if you take the minimum estimate, the result is pretty high. Definitely in line with other developed countries.
Which raises a rather interesting question. Seeing that free housing is obviously contructed a massive rate, it still is hardly enough to satisfy the needs of the whole population all at once. People who receive free housing are obviously at a very significant financial advantage compared to those who'd have to wait for their turn, all at while paying market prices for middle class housing out of their pockets, as some of your links to realtors indicate.

So how is it determined who is in line first to receive such a benefit from the government, and who has to spend decades waiting for theirs?

Another factor is housing prices. Obviously the resale value of housing varies on numerous parameters, even inside a single housing complex consisting of exactly identical apartment units. Not to even mention location. You can mostly estimate the future resale value of housing at least on the short term, in this case compared to other free housing. How is it determined who has the priority for the obviously more valuable housing stock?

Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
You posted houses as examples of "middle class" houses, not flats.
I didn't say that people built those houses, while keeping their apartments.

Quote:
Vessenaya is the middle of nowhere; I used to consult at Coca-Cola out there.
This middle of nowhere is called Vladivostok. And it's a very desirable location. Vladivostok doesn't have too much land, being located on a tiny peninsula - so it is spread far to the north..

Quote:
2m is quite a bit different from 5m, isn't it?!
The average apartment costs 5m.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It's so obvious that those houses aren't middle class houses. Anyone can see that.

I still don't know how we're defining "middle class". I guess it's indefinable, if you postulate a "grey economy". All I know is that in the US, academicians are middle class. In Russia, many can't hope to own a flat or a house. So who are the members of the "middle class" in Russia? Not counting government officials who used their influence to get an apartment by means other than saving for it and buying it, that is.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that people built those houses, while keeping their apartments.

This middle of nowhere is called Vladivostok. And it's a very desirable location. Vladivostok doesn't have too much land, being located on a tiny peninsula - so it is spread far to the north..

The average apartment costs 5m.
Huh? You posted houses.
If Vessenaya was desirable, it wouldn't be cheap, would it? You know, supply and demand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe