Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:49 PM

58 posts, read 208,253 times

Advertisements

Grenoble looks very beautiful!
Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 AM

158 posts, read 381,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone posted an OP very similar to this in the "World" section. Everyone seems to want a mediterranean climate, a strong arts community, medium-to-large city, affordable housing. In other words: perfection at half the price.

OP, how would you get a work visa for France? Is there a reason you think your skills would be in such demand that home-grown talent couldn't satisfy the demand? Have you thought this through?
Very good questions!! OP, forget about the climate and the art for now, try to find a job first. Once you move to France, you can always relocate. The VISA and the working permit is what should concern you. Take it from someone who has been through this and is sick of the french birocracy.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM

2,860 posts, read 5,231,740 times
Hello. In your field it would be very very difficult to find a job, anywhere in the country, especially since you are foreign. In urban planning (I'm myself urban architect without job...) there is very little job opportunities outside of the Paris area. In Paris you might find some big architecture and urban planning agencies (but they tend to diminish the number of their employees). Since some of them have prject in the international growing economies it can be possible to get a job there for a non-french. But outside of of those big Parisian agencies, it is almost impossible. In Province (non-Parisian France); the only possibilities in urban planning are public jobs that are open only to french citizens that have get a "public concours".
Anyway, whatever in which field you want to work, you'll need to be prefectly french-speaking (excepted if you work in a very big international company that works for english-speaking clients, most of them based in Paris region)
Don't forget the unemployment rate is very high for french people, for foreign it is worse.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM

7,373 posts, read 15,936,016 times
Unless you hold a European passport, you're pretty much out of luck. Unless, of course, you're a rocket scientist and there's a need for your skills at the time you want to move there.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM

102,057 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
That's not how it works. The employment rate of France is:

Employment-to-population ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

63.8%.

The OP just needs to realize that unemployment is very high in France. And, since he needs a visa, he is better off looking somewhere else.

You might as well move to Germany, somewhere along the border, since Metz was suggested and it's close to the German border, and just go to France whenever you like.

I'm puzzled by all these North American OP's who think they can just pick up and move anywhere in Europe at a time of high unemployment, with no exceptional skills beyond what workers in Europe already offer, and land a job in their field. North America is not part of the EU, just in case anyone was confused about that....??

Eurozone unemployment figures hit a new high - latimes.com

5.4% in Germany.

I don't really know much about the OP's major, but it sounds like it's something not many folks major in, so there shouldn't be a flood of job applicants, and you are more likely to get a job and a visa.
But if he wants to live in Germany but work in France, why should the Germans give him a visa? As a Canadian, your only hope of getting a start in the EU is England, through Commonwealth ties. Then maybe you can work something out with France from there.

I'm puzzled by all these North American OP's who seem to think they can just hop over to Europe and find a job in their field, in spite of high unemployment, and their not having any exceptional skills besides what the citizens of their target countries offer themselves. North America isn't part of the Eurozone, in case anyone was confused about that....??

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM

2,234 posts, read 5,463,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
That explanation doesn't make any sense given the 2010 numbers (and every year before that, actually). The population in the US is younger in part because it has more kids, but also because France has relatively more elderly people.

That extremely low 2012 wiki number for the US (58%) is unsourced. I think it's more likely to be an apples-to-oranges comparison than anything else.
Umm, that's what I said.. kids are included..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Unless you hold a European passport, you're pretty much out of luck. Unless, of course, you're a rocket scientist and there's a need for your skills at the time you want to move there.

No, he's not completely out of luck. You can do what I suggested. As a matter of fact, there are lots of Indians who move to Canada to get into the U.S. Just the other day this was discussed on here (again ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But if he wants to live in Germany but work in France, why should the Germans give him a visa? As a Canadian, your only hope of getting a start in the EU is England, through Commonwealth ties. Then maybe you can work something out with France from there.

I'm puzzled by all these North American OP's who seem to think they can just hop over to Europe and find a job in their field, in spite of high unemployment, and their not having any exceptional skills besides what the citizens of their target countries offer themselves. North America isn't part of the Eurozone, in case anyone was confused about that....??
No, that's not what I was saying. You can move to and work in Germany, and then cross the border whenever you like. Might not be the best solution to his problem, but it depends on what his priorities are. Maybe even the NL, but it's much smaller than Germany, and I, personally, like bigger countries/cities, so I suggested Germany.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 PM

58 posts, read 208,253 times
1. I'm not a Canadian but a US citizen, studying in Canda
2. Obviously I'd have to get a visa, but this is THEORETICALLY speaking, which city would be ideal regardless of the visa issue.
3. Why is everyone assuming I'm a guy when my avatar is female?
4. Don't want to live in Germany but a French-speaking country...
Thanks anyways.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Umm, that's what I said.. kids are included..
Elderly people too, so your point doesn't really work... besides, my main point was:

2010: France 64% US 66.7%
2012: France 63.8% US 58.7%

Your explanation doesn't make sense for 2010, only for 2012. It's wrong, because there hasn't been such a big demographic shift in the US from 2010 to 2012.

That 58.7% number is bogus anyway (and unsourced in the wiki page, as I wrote earlier). The real 2012 number according to the BLS is around 64%.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM

69 posts, read 217,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Elderly people too, so your point doesn't really work... besides, my main point was:

2010: France 64% US 66.7%
2012: France 63.8% US 58.7%

Your explanation doesn't make sense for 2010, only for 2012. It's wrong, because there hasn't been such a big demographic shift in the US from 2010 to 2012.

That 58.7% number is bogus anyway (and unsourced in the wiki page, as I wrote earlier). The real 2012 number according to the BLS is around 64%.

Exactly

France:
'10% unemployed' '90% of worker' = '100% working population' = '63.8% (The employment rate of France is)'
A child is not included in the working population

Last edited by Nanty; 11-05-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,405,900 times
The climate criteria alone will exclude much of France except along the north and west coasts.. even though the average high temperatures are not 85, actual temperatures could regularly reach those levels in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe