U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denmark,The Netherlands, or Finland
Denmark 20 34.48%
Finland 9 15.52%
The Netherlands 29 50.00%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 AM

15 posts, read 34,205 times

Advertisements

Just an individual who's considering moving to one of the above countries. Please, tell me your personal favorite and elaborate as to why. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,597,033 times
I'm curious as to why you pick these three countries. Do have fluency in all three languages?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Denmark is like the Netherlands (a very progressive, environment friendly society), but with only half NL's density. DK wins!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 AM

263 posts, read 817,811 times
Overall, I think Denmark may be a better country. The Netherlands is good too. Finland is a bit weird, it's socially and politically the best out of the three, but honestly it lags in the other aspects.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 AM

317 posts, read 330,609 times
Yes, that is an odd choice of locations. Especially Finland. The factors that would make Denmark and the Netherlands attractive probably won't be found there.

A short but very important question - are you a Schengen national or have some other legal right to be in any of the three countries? If not you might find it complicated to realize your plan.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM

78,603 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Denmark is BO-ring!! The Netherlands can literally barely keep its head above water. Finland is cool. The language is cool, too. And they have cool reindeerherding traditions in the north.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-06-2012 at 12:23 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,121,745 times
Most stunning nature: Finland
Most vibrant cities: Netherlands
Overall best: Denmark

Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,390,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Denmark is BO-ring!! The Netherlands can literally barely keep its head above water. Finland is cool. The language is cool, too. And they have cool reindeerherding traditions in the north.
Exaggerate much?

Without sounding like an obnoxious nationalist, I'd choose the Netherlands out of those options. It is wealthier, better health care system, more major cities, more diverse population, most progressive, excellent tertiary education, great infrastructure, not as cold, etc.

Finland has the best primary/secondary education system out of the three, the nicest language (imo) and probably the most beautiful nature.

Denmark has a lot of the same qualities as the Netherlands. It is not as densely populated which is undoubtedly a plus for some (e.g. Pigeonhole in this thread). I can see why people must think of the Netherlands as one big city considering the size of the population (17 million) for such a small country but it's not evenly spread out. Almost half of the population (7+ million) live in the Randstad, a relatively small area in the West of the country that includes the four biggest cities Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht. The Northern and Eastern provinces of the Netherlands are not nearly as densely populated. They mostly consist of countryside, villages and small towns, although they're still relatively densely populated compared to most parts of Denmark and Finland. If you're looking for wide open spaces and miles of uninhabited land, the Netherlands is not the place for you

Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
I would choose Denmark. I like the land and sea, the culture, the food.

If there was something you absolutely loved about one of the others, say, Amsterdam's cities or camping on a Finnish lake, they are not so far afield.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:32 PM

263 posts, read 817,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would choose Denmark. I like the land and sea, the culture, the food.

If there was something you absolutely loved about one of the others, say, Amsterdam's cities or camping on a Finnish lake, they are not so far afield.
Danish cities are amazing too!

It's a really amazing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or