U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see the US presidential election?
Fairest in the world 2 3.64%
As fair as an election can be 9 16.36%
Fairly fair, but flawed 16 29.09%
Seriously flawed and unfair 18 32.73%
At the Third World levell of corruption 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 AM

37,731 posts, read 55,391,166 times

Advertisements

Montguy: are you European or living in Europe??? This is thread is addressed to Europeans.

OP wrote: If you are from Europe, or live there, what kind of an impression do you have of the voting process for the US President?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-08-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,567,066 times
The way American political leaders are idolised disgusts me. Is the US the only country in the developed world where political leaders are celebrated and cheered? It's so corny, and resembles some dictatorship. Not only that, but it makes the electorate look stupid, like they are cheering for the sake of it and don't know why they are there or who they are voting for.

It's probably the reason why I have never taken great interest in US presidential elections.

Oh, and I think the Electoral College should be abolished.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,536,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Montguy: are you European or living in Europe??? This is thread is addressed to Europeans.

OP wrote: If you are from Europe, or live there, what kind of an impression do you have of the voting process for the US President?
Uhhh, yes...yes, you could say that I'm European. Indeed.

And it seems that my innocent display of free speech and input has been rejected on the basis of my nationality. Is this, you know, conisdered legit around here? I wasn't aware that Americans were prohibited from contributing to Europe forums???

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 AM

23,656 posts, read 65,774,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I've never heard a single reasonable argument to oppose legalizing marijuana. It's a lot less harmful than alcohol or tobacco and it actually serves a medical purpose for some people. I don't smoke, drink or use marijuana but I really don't understand why people are so irrational about this. I assume you would never support criminalizing cigarettes or beer even though any doctor will tell you they're more dangerous than pot (alcohol and tobacco are classified as 'hard drugs', marijuana is classified as 'soft drugs').

If it were up to me, no drugs would be illegal. It's better to control and regulate the distribution of drugs than to leave it to drug dealers on the street. That will probably never happen though.

Anyway, this isn't the proper thread to discuss these issues
You canīt possibly before legalization of heroin, can you?
I wouldnīt mind seeing a criminalization of alcohol and tobacco either.
I have seen and been affected enough of all three.
And just because itīs less harmful doesnīt make it good in anyway.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:14 AM

274 posts, read 736,597 times
More real, more of a real grassroot political system going from the bottom up. People are used to their tackiness, and in fact many "democracies" in western Europe envy many of the aspects American democracy.

Everybody loves Obama, including the center-right, he's considered like Snoopy back in the 60's.

Let's not forget that democracy was imposed on many western european countries, and pre-war democracies were in some cases very iffy to say the least.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,122,805 times
It's not only a question of "everybody" loving Obama, it's also the fact that Romney like McCain and Palin is a warmonger, dangerous for world peace. So the choice was between a psychopath and an "average Joe" (Obama is not a Kennedy or a Roosevelt, not even a Truman or an Eisenhower), hence the choice was pretty simple!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 AM

22 posts, read 35,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I've never heard a single reasonable argument to oppose legalizing marijuana. It's a lot less harmful than alcohol or tobacco and it actually serves a medical purpose for some people. I don't smoke, drink or use marijuana but I really don't understand why people are so irrational about this. I assume you would never support criminalizing cigarettes or beer even though any doctor will tell you they're more dangerous than pot (alcohol and tobacco are classified as 'hard drugs', marijuana is classified as 'soft drugs').

If it were up to me, no drugs would be illegal. It's better to control and regulate the distribution of drugs than to leave it to drug dealers on the street. That will probably never happen though.

Anyway, this isn't the proper thread to discuss these issues
Good Post. How can pot be illegal when it is less toxic than alcohol. Really confuses me. The way I see it, pot users will accomplish COMPLETE LEGALIZATION within half a century. It'll be accomplished when Generation Y finally gains power.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 AM

857 posts, read 1,416,550 times
What I will never understand are the queues you see on TV lasting hours.

Whenever I go voting I just
- enter the voting office which is usually a school,
- check which room I have to enter as here are several rooms for several subdistricts
- Maybe wait 2 minutes as there might be on or two other people in front of me
- hand the people the postcard telling me about the election with my address on it
- get the voting form in return
- go to the voting booth
- tick the party or candidate in the booth
- put the form into a box
and leave.
The whole has never taken me longer than 5 minutes in the last 30 years for any kind of election (local, state, nationwide or EU).

Is it bad organisation in America? Or are the queues not the norm, and the media just shows some extreme conditions?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:03 AM

274 posts, read 736,597 times
But we have no hurricanes, you saw the queue in TV in Staten Island, right?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,376,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
You canīt possibly before legalization of heroin, can you?
Yes, I do actually.

Quote:
I wouldnīt mind seeing a criminalization of alcohol and tobacco either.
I have seen and been affected enough of all three.
And just because itīs less harmful doesnīt make it good in anyway.
Most people know how to use alcohol and tobacco responsibly. Just because drugs are potentially dangerous is no reason to ban them altogether. There should be more information about the effects of different kinds of drugs (starting in high school) and less stigmatization of drug use, only then will we be able to deal with this issue rationally and really tackle the problems.

If you're going to ban products that are potentially dangerous and harmful to one's health, where do you draw the line? Would you ban fastfood and candy? What about cough syrop and many kinds of (addictive) prescription drugs? What about energy drinks and soda? The laws now are completely arbitrary and don't make any sense. There is no rational explanation for why marijuana is illegal but alcohol and tobacco aren't.

Also, the fact that I support legalization of drugs does not mean that I think drug use is a 'good' thing. As I said, I personally never use drugs of any kind, not even alcohol or cigarettes. However, I do not think our current way of handling it (banning and stigmatization) is at all effective. The whole "war on drugs" is a giant waste of energy in my view, energy that could be better spent on reducing the incentives to buy drugs in the first place.

Anyway, I don't want to drag this discussion too far off-topic. The legalization of marijuana was related to the US elections but a more in-depth discussion about it is perhaps better suited for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or