U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see the US presidential election?
Fairest in the world 2 3.64%
As fair as an election can be 9 16.36%
Fairly fair, but flawed 16 29.09%
Seriously flawed and unfair 18 32.73%
At the Third World levell of corruption 10 18.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,592,854 times

Advertisements

The term 'fascism' was invented in the 1920s to mean the fusion of state and corporate power. This exactly describes what American politics has become in the 21' century. Most politicians are bought men - in the pockets of their campaign contributors. You can vote for the Fascist Party or you can vote for the Very Fascist Party. Either way you get a government of the corporations by the corporations and for the corporations. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 AM

6,567 posts, read 10,637,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He might have done better if Republicans in Congress hadn't been so eager to throw the country under the bus. Bipartisanship is dead.
I fundamentally disagree. The Constitution is specifically designed with checks and balances built in, government works best, that is least, when its several branches are at loggerheads. I view the approval rating for Congress as an inversely proportional indicator that it is functioning (little as possible) as designed, the lower the better.

Barring an upset, the US electorate at large is poised to re-affirm the status quo since the 2010 mid-term elections, which has been much better than the 2001-2010 period when the government suffered from some serious misbalances, with some very serious adverse consequences domestically and globally.

I am more concerned about the 2014 mid-term elections than these 2012 general elections.

I voted as fair as they can be: all systems and ideologies are great on paper, but it is people who screw things up, not institutions and systems: to be sure, you can tinker with systems and institutions, but if you want better ones, no matter which ones, then improve the people which are the ones that really count and who are ultimately responsible for the concrete results.

Good luck with that!

The people who invented things like seed-planting, water irrigation and plumbing systems, metalworking and iron ploughs, the wheel, industrial machinery and series production, electricity, the internal combustion engine, pasteurized milk, antibiotics, refridgeration and air-conditioning, and, even as we speak, such communications technologies as iPhones, etc., have done much, much, much more for the progress and comfort of humanity than any president or elected officials, or any other politician of any kind, hands down.

In the end, what we have and what we deserve converge.

Last edited by bale002; 11-06-2012 at 03:43 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 AM

887 posts, read 1,374,026 times
Would it be fair to compare the President of the European Council to the President of the US?

The two-party system makes politics very boring, and i do find a voter registration system to be a bit of a foreign concept. I'd find much more energy to follow the elections if a first round introduced various candidates from different political parties.

I've never thought of the Democratic Party of being a very right-wing party. In fact, things like affirmative action and tendency for widespread corruption in local governments would be considered very "leftist".

Old 11-06-2012, 04:14 AM

23,682 posts, read 65,795,277 times
It is weird that "the worlds greatest democracy" only has two parties to vote for.
That´s one more than a dictatorship.
Also the american democrats everybody is cheering for is said to be to the right of the swedish centre right party (and they are pretty right wing) which makes me wonder how far to the right the republicans really is?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,984,588 times
I see the American elections as a Circus. Too many powerful lobbies, too much money involved and not enough candidates. There should be at least a third viable and credible party, a fourth would be even better.

Way too much in the American elections is about who wins the personality contest, a lot of the campaign seems to hinge on looks , wearing a little American flag and showing your devotion to God rather than genuine policies and intellectual acumen.

Also the country has become so polarised and partisanship so fierce that you end up with really quite nasty demonstration of bile in the campaign process, dirty tricks, lies etc... There is no moderation, little reason and the stakes are so high that you get the feeling people are almost fanatic about their votes. This election has given me the feeling that violence could erupt anytime in the streets with blood being shed whoever wins which is pretty scary.

It really is a bit like a freak show, millions of people with their little flags and buttons hanging on every word of whichever candidate, it is more the atmosphere of a football game than something as important and serious as an election.

And I do wonder what would happen if a candidate did not profess his love for his country or god in every speech ? It seems so childish to have to be seen to say certain things rather than dealing with it maturely and simply accepting that not everyone has to wear their hearts on their sleeves. You can believe in God and for it to be a private thing, same with loving your country. A Politician should not have to do this on demand, it just seems contrived and immature.

Basically I don't find it very grown up nor very positive. And the amount spent on campaigning should be limited to a tiny amount IMO. It should not be about who can raise the most money fastest but who has the best policies for the country. Lobbies should be reined in and kept on a leash. It's bad enoguh over here as it is, the American lobbies might as well just take over the White House publically as they seem to own it...

I think the media exacerbates the situation as it is also so polarised and the some parts of the media can blissfully spread lies and pretend they are facts and people simply gobble them up quite happily. Adding the word "news" after a channel does not make it a reliable source of news, facts, knowledge or truth... Too many people vote with their hearts rather than their brains which is scary.

I am seriously disenchanted enough with the process over here which is also pretty undemocratic but at least I find the elections process to be a little more mature ( with some exceptions of course, all politicians descend into nastiness at some point) and a bit more balanced.

Waiting with baited breath for the results though as whatever happens in the US will have a huge impact on the UK one way or another and sadly we are to be dragged down if the US goes down too. Nobody can escape such a huge whirlpool and the effects will be felt all over the world.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,105,957 times
I won't comment on the policy of each candidate, because I don't think that this is a factor whether an election is fair or not. Neither can I as a foreigner evaluate the internal politics of each party. But here are some other observations:

Dirty or negative campaigning: Both candidates often don't offer facts, they are just gossiping on the other candidate. It seems especially popular amongst the Christian right and ex-military guys. We also have that in Europe, but it's definitely not as big as in the US.

Antiquated voting system: Be it the electoral college, the two party system or the non-nationwide use of a standard voting procedure (ballots vs. computers). That's all a bit fishy.

I went with "Fairly fair, but flawed". It's not the fairest in the world, not as fair as it could be, but it's also not completely unfair.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:42 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,297,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He might have done better if Republicans in Congress hadn't been so eager to throw the country under the bus. Bipartisanship is dead.
When Obama was first elected, he had a mandate from the American people and a filibuster proof majority in both the Senate and the House. And all we got from that was a health care law which was largely a sell out to special interests when many of us were hoping for - and had been led to expect - a fundamental reform of a broken system. To me, Obama has been a huge disappointment. The fact that he subsequently lost his majorities is a result of his mishandling of that reform and of the public debate around it.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,362,698 times
On the whole it seems to be an advertisement for the failings of a two party system. Lambasting and deformation are seemingly more widely discussed and viewed as more important than policies.

No middle ground, no room for political discourse, no intelligent compromise.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM

263 posts, read 816,114 times
It just amazes me that Americans can vote for Romney. He just talks to get elected and constantly contradicts himself. Plus most Americans just vote for their party, so it's seriously flawed. The amount of money going into the elections could fund NASA for a few years.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,297,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
It just amazes me that Americans can vote for Romney. He just talks to get elected and constantly contradicts himself. Plus most Americans just vote for their party, so it's seriously flawed. The amount of money going into the elections could fund NASA for a few years.
That is why the election is close. Had the Republicans put up a really good candidate then Obama would lose heavily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or