U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 AM

274 posts, read 740,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
El Corte Ingles is a "posh" store, kind of like Macy's, isn't it? I saw plenty of clothing that would fit obese people at the Alcampo in Granada, which is certain more like Wal-Mart than El Corte Ingles. Not to mention a billboard advertising a store specializing in "big and tall" cuts with obese models on the highway between San Sebastian and Irun.

I agree, too, that from what I've seen (on my paltry 18 days in Spain), Spanish men do not tend to be as "broad or tall" as their American counterparts. Even excluding the obese population (which admittedly is much greater in the U.S. than in Spain), a fit American man is likely to be "bulkier" than a fit Spanish man. This goes for several other European nationalities as well, and I have had the one European person I've made this observation to (an unusually chubby girl from Italy) agree. I would attribute this to:

1) Americans walking less than Europeans. This does not automatically make them fatter, but it does create a situation in which fitness is more of a personal choice than a default state. I've been questioned numerous times why I don't just drive to a store two or three blocks away rather than take my car, usually by fit young men.

2) (Some) American men working out more than their European counterparts, especially doing strength-training exercises which build muscles.

3) Dietary differences - Americans eat more meat per capita than almost anybody in the world.

El Corte Inglés has a "Monster section" where they sell oversize sizes up to xxxxxl or so. There's another chain I don't recall the name and they have xxxxxxxxl, C and M, Decathlon, etc.

People here walk more, eath healthier because we do not have as may chains and greasy spoons and rations are smaller. We do not eat as many unhealthy snacks (not yet) (donuts, slice of greasy pizzas, chains that sell crap, mexican food, etc). Food is not as processed (yet).

Yes, there are fatsos, but American behemoths are hard to find, even considering the fact that the country is a leader in bariatric surgery.

Behemoths are more related with anxiety that with food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,388,989 times
There are fat people everywhere, but that WTF American obesity is much less common elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or