U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Yes, there are definitely regional and socioeconomic elements to it in the US. Generally less affluent people tend to be fatter, and as for the regions, this map should explain things rather well:

That map doesnt show how obese they are, a borderline obese person could still look pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM

38,020 posts, read 55,817,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Being overweight/fat has always been viewed as normal in several European countries, especially for the middle-aged and beyond.
I agree with you to some extent - yes, you see overweight, mostly middle-aged or older people in Europe. As I stressed they are "just" overweight and not obese or morbidly obese like many in the US.
In America YOUNG people and kids are obese, some morbidly.
You can't argue with statistics - except of Great Britain, the obesity rate in Europe is way lower than in the US.
http://www.lovelljohns.com/blog/wp-c...map-global.png

Obesity In America Compared To Other Countries | LIVESTRONG.COM

I think OP should tell us what he consider to be "fat": an overweight ( BMI 25-30), obese (BMI 30-40) or morbidly obese (BMI > 40) person?
Because yes, there are overweight people in Europe, mostly older, though. There are some obese people as well. And there are rather few morbidly obese ...
However the percentage of obese and morbidly obese individuals in Europe are in no comparison to the US.
The prevalence of obesity is less than 10% in Romania and Italy, but greater than 20% in the UK, Ireland and Malta.
About 79% of Americans are overweight or obese. On average, just over 15% of adults in Europe are obese, as compared with 36% for adult Americans.

Sadly all Northern European countries are noting an increase in the weight of their citizens...

That said... there is also a fundamental difference how obese people get dressed up in the US and Europe.

I also agree with bejarano: it is really hard to find X+ clothes in Europe.
It is explained here:
http://racked.com/archives/2012/08/1...-americans.php

US women don’t want to know their real size, so manufacturers re-label bigger sizes with smaller numbers. In ASTM’s 2008 standards, a size 8 had increased by five to six inches, becoming the rough equivalent of an European size 14 or 16.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-12-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM

548 posts, read 1,171,189 times
The UK and Ireland is mainly the answer.

British and Irish are not as weight obsessed or as worried about being fat or not.

In other European countries is where it seems to be more of a concern.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM

78,813 posts, read 70,635,877 times
I agree that "fat" needs to be defined on these "fat" threads. Also some of us are comparing apples with oranges. For example, Europe in the 2nd half of the 20th century had a lot of "fat" people, mostly middle-aged and above. That was less common in the US at the time, though it did exist. Now, possibly, the roles have been reversed. Obesity in the US, especially among the young, is a relatively new phenomenon, so I tend to discount it, especially since I don't see it. It's not much of a West Coast, or NE, or SW phenomenon. It's more common in the South and Midwest.

So can we even talk about the US as a whole? And what about Europe? Are people more of a healthy weight in Northern Italy than Southern? In Northern Germany vs. Bavaria? Are there regional differences? Should we be talking about regions, rather than entire countries? Just trying to clear up the picture a little.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post

British and Irish are not as weight obsessed or as worried about being fat or not.

In Russia it's always been live-and-let-live on this score. Though there seems to be a lot of pressure on young women to be elegant and thin. But there are plenty of women who don't fit the stereotype, and no one gives them a hard time.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM

38,020 posts, read 55,817,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Obesity in the US, especially among the young, is a relatively new phenomenon, so I tend to discount it, especially since I don't see it. It's not much of a West Coast, or NE, or SW phenomenon. It's more common in the South and Midwest.

So can we even talk about the US as a whole? And what about Europe? Are people more of a healthy weight in Northern Italy than Southern? In Northern Germany vs. Bavaria? Are there regional differences? Should we be talking about regions, rather than entire countries? Just trying to clear up the picture a little.
Even in the "thinnest" state - Colorado, the obesity( not overweight ) rate is over 20%

Here is a map of America’s most obese states | Grist

I am glad you live in a place where you "don't see obesity in the US", or maybe overweight people look thin compared to obese.
At our work we have few morbidly obese people. They think the others, "just" overweight, have a dream body...

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control, 34% of Americans age 20 and older are obese and another 34% are overweight. Nearly 20% of youths ages 6 to 19 in the U.S. are obese, triple the rate of a generation ago.
Science & the CSU Coming at obesity from many angles
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-12-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,690,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post

With regards to the UK, I think that is totally false.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
How about Scandinavian countries?

I always hear about Sweden and Denmark being the least prejudice countries in Europe.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,284,777 times
In most of Europe, people make fun of you if you are fat unfortunately. Wear black clothes, and don't eat in public.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How about Scandinavian countries?

I always hear about Sweden and Denmark being the least prejudice countries in Europe.
I haven't seen "fat" anywhere in Scandinavia. People may fill in a bit at middle age, but I haven't noticed fat adults like I have in Germanic countries or Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or