U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM

181 posts, read 446,284 times

Advertisements

When I went to Costa Del Sol in Spain I was shocked how few obese people there were. Especially those under 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM

78,878 posts, read 70,665,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
When I went to Costa Del Sol in Spain I was shocked how few obese people there were. Especially those under 40.
Right. So tell us about those over 40. One wouldn't expect obesity under 40, would one? Barring exceptional health issues.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM

610 posts, read 1,127,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Yes, there are definitely regional and socioeconomic elements to it in the US. Generally less affluent people tend to be fatter, and as for the regions, this map should explain things rather well:
Everyone do keep in mind that this map does not show the percentage of people in the US who, as one poster called it, "350-pound people wearing sheets" - I believe it is the percentage of people with a BMI greater than 22.0. For example, a man standing 5'10 (1m78) weighing 155 pounds (70.3 kg or 11 1/14th stone) would contribute to the percentages in the map.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,997,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Everyone do keep in mind that this map does not show the percentage of people in the US who, as one poster called it, "350-pound people wearing sheets" - I believe it is the percentage of people with a BMI greater than 22.0. For example, a man standing 5'10 (1m78) weighing 155 pounds (70.3 kg or 11 1/14th stone) would contribute to the percentages in the map.
Actually its for BMI greater than 30.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM

567 posts, read 911,649 times
When I first set foot in northern Italy, where I now live, I was astonished at how slender everyone was. I had thought people were exaggerating when they said that everyone was so comparatively slim in Europe. When I went back to America I spent the first several days noticing how dumpy every other person looked. The thing about how well Italians dress is also entirely true. My first day here I felt like I was walking through the world's biggest fashion shoot, unable to wrap my brain around the fact that millions of ordinary people would dress like that, and not just rich highfalutins from Manhattan. It's a little more difficult to distinguish rich from not-rich here than back home, let's say.

Since I have been here (over a year), I would have to say that truly, truly obese people are as rare as narwhal sightings. Just last night I saw a lady and I had to stop myself from staring, not out of disdain but (as another poster put it) out of wonder. And I was born and raised in America, not here, and have only left it recently. As others have said, in an American Walmart you could easily see a dozen such individuals on any given night, and it wouldn't be remarkable at all.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 AM

38,058 posts, read 55,850,828 times
I agree that the way most Americans dress and feel comfortable are not flattering. The most common is a over-sized t-shirt, or tank shirt, baggy shorts and flip-flops. Or sneakers. Hanging AND visible belly, or crack. Sloppy.
Big women just love to buy clothes at least 3 sizes to small ( I guess, with everything made with spandex they are thrilled to fit in XXXXL instead of XXXXXXL. )
It is pretty hard to find natural fabrics. All is easy care some sort of polyester - no ironing necessary. In fact people wear clothes right out the dryer. You don't see people wearing clothes out of dryer in Europe.
Yes, fat slobs, dressed like that would be socially less accepted, and ridiculed.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 AM

188 posts, read 450,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Being overweight/fat has always been viewed as normal in several European countries, especially for the middle-aged and beyond.

That's not true whatsoever - and there is a difference between 'overweight' by 20/30 pounds and
being over 300 pounds like 'being fat' is considered in the states. It's no coincidence that the slimming industry is a multi million pound business just like it is in the states, the only main difference is that the portion sizes when eating out are different as are the prices in grocery shopping. Tell me where in Europe being 'fat' is considered normal? The fattest nation in Europe is probably the UK and if you were as fat as some Americans I saw wobbling about you would get abuse, simple as that, and good luck in trying to get a decent job.

Last edited by bejarano; 11-13-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,751,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
That's not true whatsoever - and there is a difference between 'overweight' by 20/30 pounds and
being over 300 pounds like 'being fat' is considered in the states. It's no coincidence that the slimming industry is a multi million pound business just like it is in the states, the only main difference is that the portion sizes when eating out are different as are the prices in grocery shopping. Tell me where in Europe being 'fat' is considered normal? The fattest nation in Europe is probably the UK and if you were as fat as some Americans I saw wobbling about you would get abuse, simple as that, and good luck in trying to get a decent job.
True. There's overweight, obese, grossly obese, morbidly obese.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
As I said, there are plenty of fat people here, but it's not socially accepted really, people make fun of fat people all the time - and who can blame them? They're comedy gold.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,726,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As I said, there are plenty of fat people here, but it's not socially accepted really, people make fun of fat people all the time - and who can blame them? They're comedy gold.
And that is a big reason why people commit suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or