U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM

188 posts, read 449,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
How did you observe this? I'm born in Sweden and have lived there off and on for six years and a typical family doesn't eat what you described. On occasion yes but mainly home cooked meals. No hot pockets.
She get's most of her information on Europe from the 'National Geographic' channel, Phil. She thinks the Italians are one of the fattest nations in Europe even though the obesity rate in Nicaragua and Suriname is higher than in Italy. I doubt she has left America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,685,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
So, why do so many Brits emigrate to Canada? And New Zealand?
People will always emigrate. Some see a better life in Canada and New Zealand - many do not find what they are looking for and end up returning.

People emigrate from every country every single day.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! "Sheet people"! Thanks for clarifying ^_^ .

I think you're right about the Germans, and I think that because they're stockier (with a strong tendency toward overweight after 40), being overweight isn't stigmatized, it's normal. But my info could be out of date. Anyway, for further clarification, are we talking about overweight among younger people (under 40-ish), or the population as a whole? I've read that recently young German women are tending toward overweight, whereas that wasn't common before. I would guess that there would be more pressure on young people to stay thin, than there would on older people.
That's true. I didn't have a specific age in mind; I guess I'd say old enough to care about how they look, but younger than the age most people say "Screw it, I don't care anymore, pass the schnitzel".

Quote:
We always say...in America, you turn your head to look at an attractive woman, in Europe, you turn your head to look at an obese person. It's very true.
Lol, interesting saying. Gets tricky if the two overlap, though. This woman is considered obese according to the BMI (American of Sicilian descent, btw):

Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM

161 posts, read 214,394 times
Quote:
She get's most of her information on Europe from the 'National Geographic' channel, Phil. She thinks the Italians are one of the fattest nations in Europe even though the obesity rate in Nicaragua and Suriname is higher than in Italy. I doubt she has left America.
I'm willing to hear her out but to say we occasionally eat fish? That's insane. That's practically all we eat in Sweden! Also, Sweden has been rated in the top 3 healthiest countries in the world for quite some time. So to say we don't eat healthy is just lack of awareness.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People will always emigrate. Some see a better life in Canada and New Zealand - many do not find what they are looking for and end up returning.

People emigrate from every country every single day.
They do but people tend not to emigrate from the UK solely because the weather is crap.

Also, many do stay where they emigrated to.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM

161 posts, read 214,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
That's true. I didn't have a specific age in mind; I guess I'd say old enough to care about how they look, but younger than the age most people say "Screw it, I don't care anymore, pass the schnitzel".

Lol, interesting saying. Gets tricky if the two overlap, though. This woman is considered obese according to the BMI (American of Sicilian descent, btw):
she's average here in Seattle WA!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM

78,755 posts, read 70,607,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
How did you observe this? I'm born in Sweden and have lived there off and on for six years and a typical family doesn't eat what you described. On occasion yes but mainly home cooked meals. No hot pockets.
I observed it living there for months, and staying with different friends and their families. Where in Sweden are you from? Maybe it's different in Stockholm, idk. I didn't say categorically people don't eat healthy. I questioned what the definition of "healthy" food was, and gave my observations. Anyone is free, and in fact, welcomed, to contribute their experience. I didn't see much fish at mealtimes in Sweden or in Norway. Meat, definitely. On farms in Norway, stews and roasts were routine ("gammeldagsmat"). In spite of villages being located on coastline, people didn't eat fish. Meat was far preferable. I realize Norway is a fishing nation in part, but this was my experience, working on a farm for part of a summer, and then traveling around the country.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-14-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I observed it living there for months, and staying with different friends and their families. Where in Sweden are you from? Maybe it's different in Stockholm, idk. I didn't say categorically people don't eat healthy. I questioned what the definition of "healthy" food was, and gave my observations. Anyone is free, and in fact, welcomed, to contribute their experience. I didn't see much fish at mealtimes in Sweden or in Norway. Meat, definitely. On farms in Norway, stews and roasts were routine ("gammeldagsmat"). In spite of villages being located on coastline, people didn't eat fish. Meat was far preferable. I realize Norway is a fishing nation in part, but this was my experience, working on a farm for part of a summer, and then traveling around the country.

You never ate 'Janssons Temptation' ? Sweden's most famous national dish is Fish based.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
She is obese. But she knows how to package herself. And the photo is dark, it's not very clear. Knowing how to package yourself is everything. It just goes to show that men do love overweight women.

Americans lately have come to associate obesity with extremes. Obesity is technically defined as a certain percent over ideal weight. "Cinnamon roll people", and "walking rolls" (lolol!) are an extreme.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-14-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
That's not true whatsoever - and there is a difference between 'overweight' by 20/30 pounds and
being over 300 pounds like 'being fat' is considered in the states. It's no coincidence that the slimming industry is a multi million pound business just like it is in the states, the only main difference is that the portion sizes when eating out are different as are the prices in grocery shopping. Tell me where in Europe being 'fat' is considered normal? The fattest nation in Europe is probably the UK and if you were as fat as some Americans I saw wobbling about you would get abuse, simple as that, and good luck in trying to get a decent job.
But we're not talking about obese people who wobble. (lol!) We're talking about fat/overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or