Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM

272 posts, read 903,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
More= Uk.
Less= Not sure, probably Spain or Italy.
On a general rule, British are larger and heavier. People on Northern Spain are larger and heavier than southeners, so it mut be related to weather (just a theory) and food. In the south, they have "Med food", more vegetables, more produce, more outdoor activities.

English food and food eaten in Northen Spain is not healthy, a lot of fat, heavy stews. For example, here we have many places that sell "English breakfast", eggs, bacon, pork and beans, Scot eat Scotch pies...Traditional foods here are very similar, but in most Spain (except Northen Spain) such breakfasts and such foods are considered "cholesterol bombs" and people are very health conscious.

I believe that the only real healthy food in western Europe are Mediterranean and Scandimavian food.

German food is also very unhealthy and basic, but delicious.

Problem is that a lot of traditional food was OK when the level of activity was ten times more.,,,Before people used to eat a lot of pork, cook with lard, drink 5 times more wine and brandy, but not anymore...

Last edited by Pizarro; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,754,749 times
I wonder if people of British descent are more prone to getting fat than say, Swedish people.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM

272 posts, read 903,101 times
Not at all, Scandinavians are fitness nuts and their food is very healthy.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM

4,499 posts, read 6,313,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
their food is very healthy.
Apart from lacking salt, I can't really see that much healthy food (at least) in Finland. Cream-based sauces, meat, ... But yeah, they are sporty here.

Menu for tomorrow at our university cafeteria:

Salmon nuggets, mustard relish sauce
Creamy ham & potato casserole
Bean tacos with sour cream
Pureed creamy potato and leek soup
Shrimp and coconut curry Thai-style, Jasmine rice
Pork sirloin Black & White, roasted potatoes

Quite good, but you should definitely exercise a bit. Otherwise...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,586,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
Not at all, Scandinavians are fitness nuts and their food is very healthy.
Interesting that you say that; I remember this Danish girl I knew who ate potatoes all the time, and she and her family were all thin. Take that, anti-carb people

Also, looking at the WHO link, it seems people in the German-speaking region of Europe are some of the heavier people of Europe, and from the German people I've known (surprisingly many, actually, but that's another story), they seem like naturally big people, not necessarily fat, but with broader shoulders, heavier frame, etc. How would you rate Germany/Austria/Switzerland in terms of the perceived normalcy/stigmatization of being fat? And again, we're not talking about bejarano's sheet people, just your everyday pot-bellied person.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM

163 posts, read 269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
What?
I think he's saying that Americans are so fat they wear sheets cause they can't find clothes to fit.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I was born in Europe and lived there off and on throughout my young life. Yes, there are some overweight people but you never see these cinnamon roll looking people like you do here at Costco or wal Mart for exmaple. Where the rolls just layer down the body so they look like walking rolls. The best example is to think of what the dough looks like in one of those pressurized cinnamon roll packages at the store.

We always say...in America, you turn your head to look at an attractive woman, in Europe, you turn your head to look at an obese person. It's very true.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM

102,075 posts, read 107,068,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
And again, we're not talking about bejarano's sheet people, just your everyday pot-bellied person.
lol! "Sheet people"! Thanks for clarifying ^_^ .

I think you're right about the Germans, and I think that because they're stockier (with a strong tendency toward overweight after 40), being overweight isn't stigmatized, it's normal. But my info could be out of date. Anyway, for further clarification, are we talking about overweight among younger people (under 40-ish), or the population as a whole? I've read that recently young German women are tending toward overweight, whereas that wasn't common before. I would guess that there would be more pressure on young people to stay thin, than there would on older people.

I wonder what people have in mind when they say that Scandinavian food is healthy. The standard diet I observed in Sweden was bread, cheese, butter, and cucumbers. Daily. 2-3 times daily, in fact. Occasionally some meat or fish. Potatoes, for variety, in place of bread. Green veggies and fruit are very expensive, so they're a luxury, a rarity. So I'm wondering what the definition of "healthy" food is. Young people weren't physically active, but the men stayed thin, some young women were a little heavier, but not fat.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

255 posts, read 559,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
No, its the rain and cloud.

So, why do so many Brits emigrate to Canada? And New Zealand?

Old 11-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I wonder if people of British descent are more prone to getting fat than say, Swedish people.
I'm Swedish and everyone in my entire family is under 160 pounds and were all tall . But yes I think it's true. It's genes.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! "Sheet people"! Thanks for clarifying ^_^ .

I think you're right about the Germans, and I think that because they're stockier (with a strong tendency toward overweight after 40), being overweight isn't stigmatized, it's normal. But my info could be out of date. Anyway, for further clarification, are we talking about overweight among younger people (under 40-ish), or the population as a whole? I've read that recently young German women are tending toward overweight, whereas that wasn't common before. I would guess that there would be more pressure on young people to stay thin, than there would on older people.

I wonder what people have in mind when they say that Scandinavian food is healthy. The standard diet I observed in Sweden was bread, cheese, butter, and cucumbers. Daily. 2-3 times daily, in fact. Occasionally some meat or fish. Potatoes, for variety, in place of bread. Green veggies and fruit are very expensive, so they're a luxury, a rarity. So I'm wondering what the definition of "healthy" food is. Young people weren't physically active, but the men stayed thin, some young women were a little heavier, but not fat.

How did you observe this? I'm born in Sweden and have lived there off and on for six years and a typical family doesn't eat what you described. On occasion yes but mainly home cooked meals. No hot pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe