Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,503 times

Advertisements

Here in Belgium, you'll of course see "chubby" people in the streets every now and then - but really fat people (American style) I hardly encounter to be honest. When I do, I have to admit I stare at them, more in sheer wonder than in disdain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
[url="http://<b>You don't see many fat people in Southern and Eastern Europe</b>"]

You didn't see 'plenty of fat people' in Spain.
Yes I did. You're not some all-seeing sun god, don't tell me what I did and didn't see.

Quote:
Again - overweight people are everywhere, even in China and Japan! Do you see American style 'fat' people of 350lbs plus in Spain - not at all - try and find clothes over there at that size in any shop.
Why are you limiting the definition of "fat" to being hugely obese? That was never the question; one can definitely be fat without being anywhere near 350 lbs.

Though I guess there aren't any "American style" fat people in Spai- Oh no the youtube fat people got me again!

http://youtu.be/XnvAlrGhDgo

Quote:
Is it normal/socially acceptable to be obese in Spain?!
Perhaps English is not your first language, so let me attempt to clarify: I am not asking whether being fat is outright socially accepted, as western society generally frowns on it, but instead about the varying levels of acceptance among different cultures. Surely the attitudes of Italian society would be at least a little different than those in Sweden, Germany, Greece, France, etc?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM

255 posts, read 565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Yes I did. You're not some all-seeing sun god, don't tell me what I did and didn't see.

Why are you limiting the definition of "fat" to being hugely obese? That was never the question; one can definitely be fat without being anywhere near 350 lbs.

Though I guess there aren't any "American style" fat people in Spai- Oh no the youtube fat people got me again!

Documental 1 Completo.Obesidad.Chon de Murcia.wmv - YouTube

Perhaps English is not your first language, so let me attempt to clarify: I am not asking whether being fat is outright socially accepted, as western society generally frowns on it, but instead about the varying levels of acceptance among different cultures. Surely the attitudes of Italian society would be at least a little different than those in Sweden, Germany, Greece, France, etc?

It's in funny Einstein because you asked the question 'are fat people accepted in Europe?' with Europe being a continent and the cultures being quite different in the various countries, I think it would be safe to say that being fat isn't socially accepted in any of those countries. Fat people exist for sure but in the UK - if you were as fat as some Americans you would get abuse in the street - it's not very nice and it is wrong but you can bet it would happen.

Well - you said 'The levels of Obesity' so I am assuming you are not talking about people who are 20-50 pounds overweight but American fat boy sizes - which we all know if you are European, are not a common sight.

You need to get a grip on the English language yourself, I didn't know you were an expert on European cultures living over there in Maryland. Why ask the question if you know the anwser? As for Spain. I present to you the clothes store 'El Corte Ingles' Their biggest mens shirt size is XXL - which would be an American L - go to the wal mart website for mens shirts and they go up to 5XL (which would be 8XL in Spain)

Camisetas - Hombre - Moda y Complementos El Corte Inglés

Which goes to show, there are not that many fat people to cater to in Spain, probably your memory is playing tricks on you or you saw other Americans on your travels. (Check out my username if you think you know more about Spain than me, you don't). Spanish men tend not to be as broad or as tall as American or Northern European men in general.

Do fat people exist in Spain? Of Course, are they the norm? No they are not. What about American sizes of fatness? Very very rare. Hope I made that plain and simple.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I wonder just how common Europeans think 'American-style fat, wearing sheets' is in America. I can't speak for all parts of America, it is a rather large landmass, but I don't see it very often in my city. I do see it, but I go weeks between 'sightings'.

What I would consider 'typical fat' in America is someone who is 100 kilos and about 178 cm. This person would appear overweight, but wouldn't have trouble sitting in an airplane seat or walking up a flight of stairs. And the vast majority of Americans are not as overweight as that. Of course I have heard that some cities/states are more obese than average, but I have not visited those places. I would say the average overweight American is maybe carrying 2-10 kilos too much, and plenty are at normal (or even genetically stork-like).

I just get this idea that Europeans think most Americans are wider than they are tall. I rarely see these sheet people you all are obsessed with pointing out.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM

255 posts, read 565,345 times
It's funny because all the Americans (and there have been many) I have met through my job are not fat, in fact I am hard pressed to think of any one of them who is more than 20 pounds overweight but if you go to the states you see some walking planets. It might be down to education, opportunities, social class - who knows. But the kind of fat person you see in the states is very very rare. Of course they exist in Europe but you can go a whole day without seeing one.

Might be regional too, I didn't see many overweight people in Washington state but saw plenty in the South - but then the food was far tastier so that might be the reason.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM

Yes, there are definitely regional and socioeconomic elements to it in the US. Generally less affluent people tend to be fatter, and as for the regions, this map should explain things rather well:

Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
I think it would be safe to say that being fat isn't socially accepted in any of those countries.
I couldn't disagree more. Being overweight/fat has always been viewed as normal in several European countries, especially for the middle-aged and beyond.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Look at the states with the highest obesity: Appalachia, Mississippi and Louisiana. That's poverty talking.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Being overweight/fat has always been viewed as normal in several European countries, especially for the middle-aged and beyond.
Specifically, which countries did you have in mind?

Also, this link has some statistics that may be of interest to some of you: https://apps.who.int/infobase/Compar...Color=-3342388

For example, the statistically "average" woman in Greece, Britain, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain and Portugal is considered overweight.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Well, I listed a few earlier on the thread. But you've pointed out some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe