U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 AM

274 posts, read 740,928 times

Advertisements

Are they counting UK visitors returning home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,751,312 times
Increased tourism in Glasgow. Tourism and Culture

Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,634,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Kiev
Moscow
Turin
St Petersburg
Naples
Glasgow
Manchester
Belfast
Valencia
Liverpool
I've only been to the ones in bold. Sorry if I offend denizens of these cities, or countries, but here's what I think.

Turin - way better than Milan, but off most tourists' radar screen, and the snow-capped Alps are visible, meaning France is only about an hour away, which is cool
Naples - , ok - their Centro Direzionale skyscraper cluster had a mustard-colored torn leather couch sitting next to one of its building entrances one weekend, and my cousin, who lives there, even shrugged in an exasperated manner (the image is hard-wired into my brain, since I had left my camera at their house)
Valencia - the most boring large city in Spain I have visited, and schizophrenically laid out - the old town, the taller building business area, the port district, and the new(er) cultural area with its new(er) museums are all in different places, but the residents of this city are generally friendly and helpful

I have SOME curiosity to see cities of Eastern Europe, but only the warm weather ones in places like Romania and Bulgaria, with quick access to the Black Sea.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,127,903 times
Funny to see St. Petersburg and Moscow on the list with those ridiculous Visa restrictions and costs. That 72h ferry-Visa for St. Petersburg is pretty cool, though.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,534,341 times
Just out of interest what kind of Restrictions do they have? Surely, no one could come worse than the USA.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,127,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Just out of interest what kind of Restrictions do they have? Surely, no one could come worse than the USA.
For Russia, I have to get an invitation (-> sometimes money involved) from someone in Russia and then I have to deal with the Russian embassy (-> money involved). If you need it really quickly it can cost up to >100€ (Visa agencies). I'm not really willing to pay that much for just a weekend trip. That's why I'm wondering that those cities are on the list.

Compared to that, the ferry Visa is really cool. I went from Helsinki to St. Petersburg by ferry, you simply get a special stamp in your passport and are entitled to stay for up to 72h.

A Visa for the US is, at least as an Austrian citizen, relatively easy to get. I just have to go to the Visa Waiver webpage, register online, pay a small fee (can't really remember... 15€?) and print out the receipt. Then I basically get a Visa on arrival (-> stamp, fingerprints and photo).

Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM

3,680 posts, read 8,848,273 times
Well, I helped contribute to putting Kiev in the #1 spot .

Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM

317 posts, read 331,012 times
One thing is certain, all those new visitors to Liverpool will soon find out why nobody was visiting there before.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,751,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
One thing is certain, all those new visitors to Liverpool will soon find out why nobody was visiting there before.
Plenty of Beatles fans to visit. Usually those over 50 who have the money to visit. I loved the dock area with the Beatles Museums. Much more attractive area that it used to be!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 PM

317 posts, read 331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Plenty of Beatles fans to visit. Usually those over 50 who have the money to visit. I loved the dock area with the Beatles Museums. Much more attractive area that it used to be!
Well, at least it's not as grim as Glasgow I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or