U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,749,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Well, at least it's not as grim as Glasgow I suppose.
Ever been to Glasgow? Recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 AM

317 posts, read 330,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Ever been to Glasgow? Recently?
As recently as this summer when attending a conference at Glasgow Uni, and before that frequently during my 9 years in Newcastle...I ventured there many times for shows at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut and for a few football matches. I've spent most of my time in the charming parts in the centre and west, and I'm sorry, it's not enough to spruce up the brutal, depressing Jaikie-land that surrounds it.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,334,945 times
The idea of Glasgow as a tourist destination is not a fanciful one but it does need a healthy dose of realism.

First, there is probably sufficient to see in Glasgow for a two or three day visit. Not more. It does have some of the finest museums and art galleries in the UK outside of London. In the city centre and the West End you have some of the best Victorian architecture in the UK. For those interested in architecture there are also excellent examples of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's work. Glasgow also has a very good shopping area and some great restaurants. But that is about it.

On the negative side, barring June and September, the weather is awful. In the winter you get just eight hours of daylight and, any time of year, you can get all four seasons in the same day. And, like any big city, there are some especially grim areas that the tourist would do well to avoid.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The idea of Glasgow as a tourist destination is not a fanciful one but it does need a healthy dose of realism.

First, there is probably sufficient to see in Glasgow for a two or three day visit. Not more. It does have some of the finest museums and art galleries in the UK outside of London. In the city centre and the West End you have some of the best Victorian architecture in the UK. For those interested in architecture there are also excellent examples of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's work. Glasgow also has a very good shopping area and some great restaurants. But that is about it.

On the negative side, barring June and September, the weather is awful. In the winter you get just eight hours of daylight and, any time of year, you can get all four seasons in the same day. And, like any big city, there are some especially grim areas that the tourist would do well to avoid.
No one has suggested someone spend a week or two in Glasgow. I wouldn't even suggest spending more than 2 or 3 days in Edinburgh either. As for weather, all of Scotland is like that, not just Glasgow.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,340,040 times
My sister is going to Moscow for a school trip this winter, or she was. My alma mater (a small liberal arts school in the Upper Midwest) took Russian students and any other interested parties on a month-long trip to Duluth's sister city of Petropavlosk and other Russian destinations each June (and the price was very good, about $4,000 including R/T airfare). Russia seems to be quickly transforming into an economic powerhouse and regaining some of the clout it lost after the dissolution of the USSR, so it would make sense that tourist arrivals there are growing. However, the visa issue must turn a lot of Americans off to Russia.

One European destination in particular that has attracted many Americans over the past ten years is the Cinque Terre, whose popularity might be traced to the popular American travel guide Rick Steves raving about it. It sure looks beautiful in the pictures.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
After London and Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester are the UK's most fun cities to visit. Great museums, great live music, good nightlife etc. It beats the hell out of anything Finland has thats for sure Judge_Smails.

You don't go to Glasgow for a week, you go for 2 days max. Shopping, see a band, see a comedian, watch a game of football in 2 of the most atmospheric stadiums in Europe, visit a museum, go to a nightclub etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
After London and Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester are the UK's most fun cities to visit. Great museums, great live music, good nightlife etc. It beats the hell out of anything Finland has thats for sure Judge_Smails.

You don't go to Glasgow for a week, you go for 2 days max. Shopping, see a band, see a comedian, watch a game of football in 2 of the most atmospheric stadiums in Europe, visit a museum, go to a nightclub etc.
I live about 1 1/2 hours from Glasgow. It's a nice day trip or an overnight trip. Sometimes we spend the night and go to a classical concert or to the cinema, various museums, eat out, and of course great shopping.

The tourism figures soared in Scotland this year due in part to newly renovated Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow, new Transport Museum in Glasgow, and newly renovated National Museums in Edinburgh.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM

317 posts, read 330,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Stick to what you know. I've experienced both locations in extreme detail. And I can tell you the nightlife isn't so vastly superior in Glasgow to make it worth settling for the local female talent or ending the evening at best with a basket of soggy chips or at worst a pint glass in the face.

In Finland our music scene offer less choice, but the odds of ending your evening on a high note are much, much better. Fact.

But in the end, with all the possible places in the planet one could spend an evening, I can think of a hundred places better than Glasgow.

Last edited by Judge_Smails; 11-20-2012 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
I can think of hundreds better than any city in Finland, and if you think the music scenes better then thats weird. You ever heard of Paolo Nutini, Emile Sande, Biffy Clyro, Belle&Sebastien, Amy Macdonald, Primal Scream, Travis, Texas, Calvin Harris, Franz Ferdinand, Annie Lennox, Eurythmics, AC/DC, KT Tunstall, Simple Minds, The View, Idlewild, Garbage, Glasvegas, The Fratellis, Sheena Easton, Gerry Rafferty, Midge Ure, Bay City Rollers, Nazareth etc? All Scottish. Aswell as all the British music acts who tour Scotland every night?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,680,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post

In Finland our music scene offer less choice, but the odds of ending your evening on a high note are much, much better. Fact.
You see, they don't publish statistics for how often people end their evenings on high notes, so making unfounded statements such as this can never be justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or