U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,752,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You should definitely calm down... That wasn't a personal attack against you, the citizens of Glasgow or Scots in general. He just said, that Glasgow isn't his cup of tea. And I'm sure a lot of people would agree. He even said, that he is really fond of other places in your country...

And with that statement about Finland you are just making yourself look stupid...
No, he didn't say Glasgow wasn't his cup of tea. He went on a on and on about how he thinks it's the most disgusting city there is anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,752,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Hey pal, my approximation of Weegie English is better then your approximation of Standard English. And it's not even my native tongue. You should be impressed.

Some things are so funny because they're so true.
It's not Weegie English. It's a proper language which is a cousin to English. It's called Lowlands or Lallans Scots. It's descended from the same language that English did.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM

3,515 posts, read 4,967,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Just out of interest what kind of Restrictions do they have? Surely, no one could come worse than the USA.
Read these horror stories of the (U.S.) Russian Embassy's incredible bureaucratic red-tape for Visa applicants. And more readers' comments after it, of similar experiences. Getting a Russian visa takes a lot of application - The Washington Post

Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM

317 posts, read 331,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Your a liar first of all. And you sound like a bitter nasty person, I am sure the good people of Glasgow won't lose sleep. Even with all the problems Glasgow has, predominantly confined to the housing estates, it still probably gets more visitors than every major city in Finland combined!
Vile? A bitter and nasty person you say? Now that's a bit over the top for someone who simply thinks the city is a dump, especially when I have such nice things to say about the rest of the country. When such superlatives reserved for the likes of me, what sort of compliment to you reserve for the typical methadone-sipping zombies who actually live there? Fine folks?

But by all means make whatever comparison between the number of visitors that Glasgow and Finland receive. That makes sense. Forget the fact that we're not the ones claiming to be a hot new tourist destination and no city in Finland is as big as Glasgow. Also don't focus on the type of person that visits and what they get up to when they're there. I'm sure Glasgow isn't attracting flights full of families with children coming to visit Santa Claus.

Maybe we should think about a new marketing campaign focusing on the fact that most visitors manage to return home without needle sticks. That might pull some of that traffic away from Glasgow.

Last edited by Judge_Smails; 11-22-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It's not Weegie English. It's a proper language which is a cousin to English. It's called Lowlands or Lallans Scots. It's descended from the same language that English did.
You know perfectly well the Glasgow dialect has a distinctly nasal rasp and vocabulary that's recognizable from other Scots accents.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Its an ACCENT of course it is distinguishable from other Scotish ACCENTS.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Its an ACCENT of course it is distinguishable from other Scotish ACCENTS.
Distinguished especially by the fact that it's unintelligible.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,813,881 times
Quote:
Your a liar first of all. And you sound like a bitter nasty person, I am sure the good people of Glasgow won't lose sleep. Even with all the problems Glasgow has, predominantly confined to the housing estates, it still probably gets more visitors than every major city in Finland combined!

Number of non-UK tourists in Glasgow 2010: ~750,000
Number of non-Finnish tourists in Helsinki 2011: 1,821,019

Tourism and Culture
http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/vi...lsinki0912.pdf

I've never been to Scotland, so I'm not taking part of the other conversation, but these are the facts.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM

So English visitors don't count?

Around 28% of all visitors to Glasgow come for business purposes. The City is currently ranked 22nd in the world for the number of international delegates hosted. Glasgow River Festival 2008 attracted 84,000 visitors. Glasgow International Festival of Contemporary Visual Art 2008 attracted nearly 13,000 visitors. World Pipe Band Championships 2008 attracted 40,000 visitors. The Mackintosh Festival attracted around 50,000 visitors.

UK tourists made 1.8 million trips to Glasgow in 2007.

There has been a 12% increase in visitor beds in the last 2 years.

Glasgow Tourism Strategy aims to deliver minimum growth of 60% in revenue generated by tourists, with an elevated target of 80% growth - this higher target will bring about significant change in Glasgow’s performance and will mean that in 2016 the City could welcome 4 million tourists.

A new global survey of museums and galleries placed Kelvingrove 14 in the world, ahead of the Museum of Modern Art in New York

Old 11-22-2012, 07:49 PM

From the Helsinki tourism website

""the city should be able to attract more repeat visitors. Now an estimated 85 - 90 per cent of foreign travellers are in Helsinki for the first time, and they generally leave it at that"

And helsinki and Glasgow have nearly identical overnight stays per year.

So Scotland can't count English visitors, fair dos, but I wonder what portion of helsinki's "international" visitors are Russian????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or