U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,097,982 times

Advertisements

Are you saying Lonely Planet isn't a reputable source?

Anyhoo lets talk about other cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:46 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,809,305 times
So when the arguments turn against you, we should change the subject?

Thatcherism is still going strong in the UK, and even if Margaret saved the economy, she destroyed the welfare state. And as a eternal class-society, I can't predict a very bright future for the UK. The élite will probably continue to keep the UK as a first-line intellectual society, but as the desperate chavs take the streets once again... socioeconomically you'll might be heading for another disaster.

Btw, GO RANGERS, Celtic will not make the Champions' league next year.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM

548 posts, read 1,171,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Not top, FASTEST GROWING. Potential, investment, improvements, culture, entertainment, history. These cities have that.
That is exactly right.

There is a difference between the top growing and fastest growing.

The fastest growing are those you mentioned.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,097,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So when the arguments turn against you, we should change the subject?

Thatcherism is still going strong in the UK, and even if Margaret saved the economy, she destroyed the welfare state. And as a eternal class-society, I can't predict a very bright future for the UK. The élite will probably continue to keep the UK as a first-line intellectual society, but as the desperate chavs take the streets once again... socioeconomically you'll might be heading for another disaster.

Btw, GO RANGERS, Celtic will not make the Champions' league next year.
???????? strange post

One things for sure no Finnish football team will get there
BBC Sport - Champions League qualifying: HJK Helsinki 0-2 Celtic (agg 1-4)

Has a team from your country won the European cup? Thought not. Has a team from your country beat the best team in the world this year......... or ever? Thought not.
BBC Sport - Celtic 2-1 Barcelona

Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 PM

317 posts, read 331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I believe you called all citizens of Glasgow scumbags. You've been nothing but nasty and vile, bashing a city I enjoy and in-laws and friends live in. What do you think I'm going to call you, sweetheart?
As I recall I said Glasgow was a city full of junkies, neds and jaikies. Which is completely true. Now unless that comment cuts a little too close to the bone I'd say you're taking it all a bit too personally.

Or maybe it's only a deflective response because you know whatever can be said for Glasgow is doubly true for Smacktown-on-Tay.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
Now, it's pretty obvious what is happening here, even a dyslexic two year old could see it. I think the two Finnish posters are having fun at your expense. They know that they are making unfounded and baseless claims, about a city they probably know very little about, that it is, apparently, entirely populated by undesirables who would enjoy nothing more than smashing your face in with a beer glass.

But, any sane person, who is not a troll, and does not have some ridiculous and pathological hatred of Glasgow, and, what appears to be, the UK as a whole, can see that Glasgow actually has decent people, people who do not want to rob you, shank you, murder you or throw rocks at your head, and in fact, Glasgow has plenty of attractions for tourists, that are entirely confined in areas of the city where you can easily avoid undesirables and where you are unlikely to be a victim of crime.

Also, I can't disagree with a lot of what Ariete has said regarding the UK, it is a class-obsessed nation and is clearly very disproportionate, but that's for another thread - this thread is supposed to be regarding Europe's fastest growing tourist destinations, not about the UK's social problems, which are not hidden or trying to be hidden. If the UK is really such a hot topic for you, feel free to create a thread where we can specifically discuss this.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-23-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Now, it's pretty obvious what is happening here, even a dyslexic two year old could see it. I think the two Finnish posters are having fun at your expense. They know that they are making unfounded and baseless claims, about a city they probably know very little about, that it is, apparently, entirely populated by undesirables who would enjoy nothing more than smashing your face in with a beer glass.
Unfortunately, at least one of those two Finnish posters has had more encounters with Glasgow than one human being should have to endure. Ariete can speak for herself.

Of course any location has decent people, but in few places in Britain are they so overwhelmed by the lowest forms of humanity as they are in Glasgow. I've said it before and I'll repeat: Glasgow is infested with junkies, neds and jaikies. Only someone who never ventures a few blocks beyond George Street between the hours of 2000 and 0600 would deny this.

Quote:
But, any sane person, who is not a troll, and does not have some ridiculous and pathological hatred of Glasgow, and, what appears to be, the UK as a whole, can see that Glasgow actually has decent people, people who do not want to rob you, shank you, murder you or throw rocks at your head, and in fact, Glasgow has plenty of attractions for tourists, that are entirely confined in areas of the city where you can easily avoid undesirables and where you are unlikely to be a victim of crime.
Excuse yourself, I for one love the UK. It's been home to me for nearly a decade. Having spent that time in Newcastle I also have a high tolerance for living in a city with less than perfect economic circumstances. But Glasgow is just too much.

Just as any beautiful woman can have an unsightly wart on her wrist, so the UK has Glasgow. It's just too bad that Glasgow can't be burnt off with liquid Nitrogen.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM

274 posts, read 740,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
???????? strange post

One things for sure no Finnish football team will get there
BBC Sport - Champions League qualifying: HJK Helsinki 0-2 Celtic (agg 1-4)

Has a team from your country won the European cup? Thought not. Has a team from your country beat the best team in the world this year......... or ever? Thought not.
BBC Sport - Celtic 2-1 Barcelona

Paul

Thanks for calling Barça rge best team in the world. It was a defeat we could stomach because we like Celtics.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,694,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Unfortunately, at least one of those two Finnish posters has had more encounters with Glasgow than one human being should have to endure. Ariete can speak for herself.

Of course any location has decent people, but in few places in Britain are they so overwhelmed by the lowest forms of humanity as they are in Glasgow. I've said it before and I'll repeat: Glasgow is infested with junkies, neds and jaikies. Only someone who never ventures a few blocks beyond George Street between the hours of 2000 and 0600 would deny this.

Excuse yourself, I for one love the UK. It's been home to me for nearly a decade. Having spent that time in Newcastle I also have a high tolerance for living in a city with less than perfect economic circumstances. But Glasgow is just too much.

Just as any beautiful woman can have an unsightly wart on her wrist, so the UK has Glasgow. It's just too bad that Glasgow can't be burnt off with liquid Nitrogen.
I've been to Glasgow, I know people from Glasgow, I've never encountered trouble, I have never been abused or attacked, and my friends are definitely not junkies, nor do they attack people for no reason.

Again, it would be great to know where in Glasgow you went - I can't imagine any tourist visiting there wondering east of High Street - there is nothing there besides sink estates, there are absolutely no tourist attractions. I don't care if you hate Glasgow, I hate plenty of places, but trying to proclaim that most people in Glasgow are neds, junkies and jaikies, is definitely stretching the truth, just a little bit..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I've been to Glasgow, I know people from Glasgow, I've never encountered trouble, I have never been abused or attacked, and my friends are definitely not junkies, nor do they attack people for no reason.

It would be great to know where in Glasgow you went - I can't imagine any tourist visiting there wondering east of High Street - there is nothing there besides sink estates, there are absolutely no tourist attractions. I don't care if you hate Glasgow, I hate plenty of places, but trying to proclaim that most people in Glasgow are neds, junkies and jaikies, is definitely stretching the truth, just a little bit..
I've been to Celtic Park, the West End, the Centre, and these days most frequently in Clydebank where most weegies that work actually do work. During every miserable encounter with Glasgow my first reaction has been "Wow, this place really does look like Mordor" and my last has been "Thank God I have a clean home and healthy family to return to."

Indeed, Glasgow is a pit of dispair.

May I mention how ironic it is that the Weegies that happen to be awake at normal work hours are the ones that tend to complain about the few Poles that work there...they are after all the few people in Glasgow who are good looking, healthy, and dressed for work.

Last edited by Judge_Smails; 11-25-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or