U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
 
Location: 59N
5,198 posts, read 5,845,878 times
Reputation: 3976

Advertisements

Please stop trolling. Northern and Central Europe are doing much better than Southern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,588,725 times
Reputation: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You people are just utterly unrealistic. Look at your economy, about 60% of exports are oil and gas. It is easy to say Norway could do without that, since it doesn't have to do without it. It is like saying I could easily live without a tv set while having a giant plasma tv in my living room.
Norway is doing without that.

For many years, all the income from oil and gas have been saved up in a sovereign wealth fund, which is now the biggest in the world. In fact it owns more than 1 % of all publically listed stocks on the planet. I don't think you fully appreciate how big the investments from the oil have grown.

Long before the oil runs out, the returns of the stocks will be bigger than the oil ever were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times
Reputation: 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Please stop trolling. Northern and Central Europe are doing much better than Southern Europe.
You are such a fool. People are not trolling just because they disagree with you. You have no idea what trolling means.
Of course central Europe is doing better, Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, etc. have solid economies without oil/gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times
Reputation: 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Norway is doing without that.

For many years, all the income from oil and gas have been saved up in a sovereign wealth fund, which is now the biggest in the world. In fact it owns more than 1 % of all publically listed stocks on the planet. I don't think you fully appreciate how big the investments from the oil have grown.

Long before the oil runs out, the returns of the stocks will be bigger than the oil ever were.
See, what the oil/gas has enabled...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
 
Location: 59N
5,198 posts, read 5,845,878 times
Reputation: 3976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You are such a fool. People are not trolling just because they disagree with you. You have no idea what trolling means.
Of course central Europe is doing better, Germany, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, etc. have solid economies without oil/gas.
Ohh. So you are not a troll afterall? I am not sure

Ranking: Most competitive economies in the EU - 2012:

1. Sweden (no oil)
2. Finland (no oil)
3. Denmark (no oil)
----
4. Netherlands
5. Austria
6. Germany
7. UK (some oil)
8. Luxembourg
9. Belgium
10. France

The Nordic region is doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times
Reputation: 8460
We were talking about Norway, not other Scandinavian countries. It is certainly no coincidence that Norway is not in your top ten list there. Actually it ranks only 15th in the world, clearly worse than Sweden and Finland. See map:

Global Competitiveness | World Economic Forum - Global Competitiveness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Socialist Scandinavia
88 posts, read 122,527 times
Reputation: 87
Problem with using WEF's index is that it also takes market size into account (guess who's no.1). Also if you actually go into the report you'll find that in term of basic requirements Norway is ranked 9 and in macroeconomic environment is 3th.
If Norway didn't have oil (which we would like back please!) it would've, and has to a large extend, structured its economy like the rest of scandinavia and we're doing just fine, so why the need for this discussion?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: 59N
5,198 posts, read 5,845,878 times
Reputation: 3976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggie View Post
Problem with using WEF's index is that it also takes market size into account (guess who's no.1). Also if you actually go into the report you'll find that in term of basic requirements Norway is ranked 9 and in macroeconomic environment is 3th.
If Norway didn't have oil (which we would like back please!) it would've, and has to a large extend, structured its economy like the rest of scandinavia and we're doing just fine, so why the need for this discussion?!
I do not know. The guy lives in Portugal. I guess the PIGS just hate us..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,234 posts, read 23,588,189 times
Reputation: 8599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We were talking about Norway, not other Scandinavian countries. It is certainly no coincidence that Norway is not in your top ten list there. Actually it ranks only 15th in the world, clearly worse than Sweden and Finland. See map:

Global Competitiveness | World Economic Forum - Global Competitiveness
Look, considering Norway's oil isn't going anywhere anytime soon, this entire discussion is based on pure speculation and nothing else. You have absolutely nothing to back up your claims that Norway wouldn't be well off without oil. But the argument that Norway would be economically stable, similar to Sweden and Denmark, without oil, is pretty solid, and if it does experience any trouble in the future due to its oil 'running out', then it will reform and restructure its economy, it will take lessons from its neighbours. It would probably see its long-term unemployment rise, particularly amongst the young, which would bring it in line with the rest of the Nordics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
See, what the oil/gas has enabled...
Yes, and all that accumulated wealth will provide future Norwegians with a happy and stable future - Norway is going to be absolutely fine. If only the UK had put all the money it received from North Sea Oil and Gas into a sovereign wealth fund - we'd be so much better off right now.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-19-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Socialist Scandinavia
88 posts, read 122,527 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I do not know. The guy lives in Portugal. I guess the PIGS just hate us..
Who doesn't, you guys are not getting any sympathy from us until you give us our oil back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top