Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie21 View Post
England seems to be less subjective and has a weaker tolerance than most European countries when it comes to immigration, also the health care system in place is better than most countries and it is pretty easy to get a job if you are willing to work. everyone in England, speaks English too, so this is the only language necessary.

Besides, there's "mass migration" to England? Said who? What's the definition of "mass migration" here? And, as somebody has mentioned, the U.K. had colonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM

317 posts, read 412,467 times
Another factor in addition to the English language is London. There are few cities on the planet with as large a mix of immigrant communities. Throw a dart at a map and you'll find a community in London for wherever it sticks. Since people tend to seek out their own kind when uprooting and settling in a strange place, London offers easier access to cultural networks to just about anybody.

But as I've understood the numbers camping at Calais are but a fraction now of what they used to be.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I've seen a few news about the campsite near Callais (France) called "the Jungle", where thousands of immigrants from Africa, Asia and Middle East spent months, even years waiting for a chance to cross the Channel into England.

And I thought: what's the big deal with England?

I mean, they have already crossed thousands of miles and are in France, why then don stay in France? Okay, let's suppose they don like France, they got Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland, etc, they got all the countries in Europe to choose, but they decided to spend months living in very bad conditions in The Jungle to get to England.

And that puzzled me. In England, living conditions in terms of salary, health, security, culture, immigration policies,etc are more or less the same than any other country in Europe (okay, perhaps Southern countries like Portugal and Spain dont perform as well as Northern countties in Scandinavia, but there is not such a big difference in general).

If I was an Afghan refugee who has spent months traveling hidden at the bottom of a lorry, I wouldn give a hoot about England, I'd get the hell out at the first European city I found and start making money asap. So that's why I found weird all this Jungle thing. Have been they brainwhased by the human traffickers into believing they are gonna be recieved in England with open arms and they are gonna be millionaries in a few days?

Any theories why this happens?
Its because the United Kingdom offers them opportunities that they would never ever get in any other country. They get the freedom to practice their own culture, they get Human rights - I could go on.

It is also the glamours rich image of fame that the UK has. The UK in some ways, for many Asians and Europeans is like a Mini-America as it is kind of "New".

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I've heard that the healthy system is not very good, but no idea :O some people I know avoid to go to doctor there and they do it here during the holidays lol. Unless is an emergency of course.
Its not 10/10 but it is great. We get free prescriptions and free hospital appointments. When I went to Spain we had to pay for EVERYTHING.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Besides, there's "mass migration" to England? Said who? What's the definition of "mass migration" here? And, as somebody has mentioned, the U.K. had colonies.
The UK gets 250,000 new immigrants a year. The USA gets 1.5million. Pretty impressive for the size of the UK.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The UK gets 250,000 new immigrants a year. The USA gets 1.5million. Pretty impressive for the size of the UK.
How exactly is that impressive? And why do you state the US's number? On a per capita basis they still receive more than the UK. There are also other European countries who receive more immigrants, in absolute numbers and on a per capita basis.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM

Really? Is that right?

I want proof.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM

266 posts, read 402,721 times
Quote:
It is also the glamours rich image of fame that the UK has. The UK in some ways, for many Asians and Europeans is like a Mini-America as it is kind of "New".
Bingo - when I was studying in London (in the health care field), there were multiple problems with the NHS: anything from insufficient funds to staff shortages. It has a lot of tweaking to do, but perhaps it looks better to certain other countries? As far as immigration, most of the natives seemed to think immigrants see England as the European America and a "land of opportunity."

Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Its because the United Kingdom offers them opportunities that they would never ever get in any other country. They get the freedom to practice their own culture, they get Human rights - I could go on.

lol Yeah, ain't that the truth. Those damn Nazis just had to occupy all of Europe and the U.S.

Quote:
That's average.

Quote:
Really? Is that right?

I want proof.
Saying the one who is dishing out claim after claim.

We want proof.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
I'm not sure about mass migration but the population of England is certainly 'booming'. Some areas of England experienced population growth in excess of 20% between 2001 and 2011.

That being said, we don't really attract any more immigrants on a per capita basis than other countries - the percentage of our population that is foreign born is lower than that of Sweden, Germany, France, Ukraine etc, and we are still facing an aging crisis which is putting strain on services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe