Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM

69 posts, read 229,507 times

Advertisements

If an American moves to Ireland (a retiree) does anybody know where to find cost of private health insurance?

KM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
Eire or Northern Ireland? For NI try BUPA. If you are an EU citizen, you may be covered by the NHS. Private Health Insurance, Individual, Group, Family Healthcare | Bupa UK

Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maliretriever View Post
If an American moves to Ireland (a retiree) does anybody know where to find cost of private health insurance?

KM

theese are the main insurance providers

vhi
laya

bare in mind that the private health insurance industry in ireland is extremley vague in how it opperates

if you have insurance , you will certainly get to see a consultant in a private capacity much quicker than in the public sphere

for elective surgery - proceedures , you will get work done much quicker

if you go into hospital for emergencys , you will be treated no differently to a public patient who has no insurance , i have private health insurance and during a stay in hospital in 2008 , i spent one night in a private room , before being moved to a public ward for the remaining six days , the vast majority of hospitals in ireland are public owned so even you have insurance , the best you can hope for is a private room in a public hospital , this is especially the case outside dublin

Old 11-17-2012, 03:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Private insurance in Ireland really dosnt do much for you. Yeah, sure it may move you to the top of the list, but you will still have to pay certain bills ; I think even the anesethologist isnt covered. When my sister there had her two children, she still had to pay over 400 euro for that.

You may get a private room in a hospital. Otherwise, the wards normally have 6 people in them. Consultants do not work at weekends so if you go into hospital on a friday, you may stay there until you see the consultant sometime on Monday.
Healthcare in Ireland is a sham. I am battling the HSE at the moment because of my mother in law who lives there and has dementia. I asked if I could go private for her geriatrician but he dosnt take private patients. The general waiting list for a mammogram is well over a year.Hospitals are dirty. My mil was in hospital in sept for 3 weeks so I kind of know what I am talking about. Try talking to the doctor or even getting a second opinion ; then you are a trouble maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe