U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM

114 posts, read 483,835 times

Advertisements

I think out of Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians, and Greeks:

Spaniards and Portuguese generally look the most "Western European" (i.e. have the largest number who could fit just fine in Britain/Ireland/France) but Portuguese are slightly darker at times.. southern Spain, southern Portugal, and the Canary Islands also have some North African influence.

Italians range from Germanic types in the north, Italic types in the center, to Greek and other Eastern Mediterranean types in the south, though Norman influence can be seen in some people in Sicily. But on the other hand a lot of Sicilians can pass in West Asian countries/the northern Near East, but the predominant influence is Greek.

Greeks range from resembling Bulgarians/Serbs on the mainland to resembling darker Italians on the islands, with some Anatolian and Pontic Greeks looking more Anatolian.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM

831 posts, read 2,700,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I traveled all over Europe last year and I'm planning on doing it again this year. I went all over Italy from Florence, down to Capri and Rome, then back up to Venice and Verona. I went to damn near every part minus Milan which I plan on doing this year.

Italian men are very small. I'd say the average height is like 5'6. I'm 5'11 and I do work out and I felt like a GIANT. I tried buying a jacket, nothing fit. They are very slight, thin men.

Italian women, not much shorter than the men. I'd say the average height is probably 5'3.

Face wise...come on now, how the hell can you tell? You tell me the differnce between 100 Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, and Arabs and I guarantee you'll get half of them wrong.

I'm Arab/Turkish and natives in Spain, Italy, and Greece thought I was from their country. Several times when I was waiting for the bus/tub/subway, I got asked for directions in Spanish/Italian/Greek. If the natives can't tell the difference, how can you?

Overall vague differences. Spaniards are slightly lighter skinned, dark brown hair, and IMO...better looking.

Italians. Shorter and slighter.

Greeks. Darkest of the three and most obese.
Very good observations I do agree with all of them.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,518,592 times
Quote:
I traveled all over Europe last year and I'm planning on doing it again this year. I went all over Italy from Florence, down to Capri and Rome, then back up to Venice and Verona. I went to damn near every part minus Milan which I plan on doing this year.

Italian men are very small. I'd say the average height is like 5'6. I'm 5'11 and I do work out and I felt like a GIANT. I tried buying a jacket, nothing fit. They are very slight, thin men.

Italian women, not much shorter than the men. I'd say the average height is probably 5'3.

Face wise...come on now, how the hell can you tell? You tell me the differnce between 100 Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, and Arabs and I guarantee you'll get half of them wrong.

I'm Arab/Turkish and natives in Spain, Italy, and Greece thought I was from their country. Several times when I was waiting for the bus/tub/subway, I got asked for directions in Spanish/Italian/Greek. If the natives can't tell the difference, how can you?

Overall vague differences. Spaniards are slightly lighter skinned, dark brown hair, and IMO...better looking.

Italians. Shorter and slighter.

Greeks. Darkest of the three and most obese.

Arabs tan very well could be quite dark, they have bigger noses, fuller lips, more black hair, less blue-eyed than Italians/Spaniards or any other European people, looking less 'typically European'. To an untrained eye, Italians, Spaniards might seem similar to Arabs. However most Spaniards and Italians have dark brown hair and not pure black hair. Turks are closer to Europeans due to their proximity and having Ancient Greek ancestry as well. Italians/Spaniards have more refined facial features and look on average better than most Europeans. There Arabs who might or look European, however many of them could quite light due to European influence especially in the Levant area it's obvious, that influence came mainly from Southern Europe. [/quote]

Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,433,035 times
Tan and small with beady brown eyes.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:53 PM

910 posts, read 814,916 times
Quote:

People here aere generally lean, you failed in finding a jacket of your size because you probably have a panza and not because you are a giant
I am as much tall as you and I'm not a giant at all among people of my age
you must have looked too much at kids, elderly people and women if you felt like a giant...

Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 AM

831 posts, read 2,700,123 times
Italians, spanish, greek, portuguese all look pretty much mediterranean/southern european. I'd say Italians and Greeks tend to look older than they are compared to Spanish and Portuguese people.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 AM

114 posts, read 483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
I'd say Italians and Greeks tend to look older than they are compared to Spanish and Portuguese people.
This is true.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
There's this idea that Italians are all very tan, always have brown/black hair, and rarely have light colored eyes.

How true is this though? I've seen a lot of Italians who could easily be from England or even Scandinavia. Do people in Italy really look that much different from people in the United Kingdom or Germany, on average? Genetically speaking, all Europeans are relatively speaking quite close.

Well not all Italians are similar either. Italy is large country with a good-sized population thus could vary, northern Italians could look different from southern Italians, because in comparison to southerners they are lighter , thus have lighter eyes. There are Italians who could pass as western or northern Europeans of course, though dark pigmentation of eyes and hair is more dominant as a whole. Genetically with the exception of Finns, Italians are among the most atypical Europeans. The Alpine mountain range must have much earlier played a role as barrier for the flow of people into Italy in primitive times. Anyway, it's not such a big difference, most Europeans are genetically closer to each other in comparison to non-Europeans who are much more genetically different.

General

Hair color: (dark) brown/black
Eye color : brown>blue/green/gray
Height : average

Luca Argentero

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...t2RpM_5iGDMfbE

Last edited by Rozenn; 10-21-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 27,753 times
I think many of you need to travel more or to use Google.
I'm a northern Italian and where I live in northern Italy 50% of us have brown eyes and 50% blue or green eyes.
I think we are well represented in the world by two northern Italians: Roberto Bolle and Carla Bruni.
I myself have dirty blonde hair, green eyes and light skin.
70% of my family have blue or green eyes.
We look Central Europeans.
Central Europeans don't have only very blonde hair.
Nobody could never think we look Middle Easternern (I add this to reply to the user Turk who lie saying we Italians look like him), and we could easily pass for French, Swiss or southern Germans.
Look for Claudio Marchisio. Fabio De Luigi. Elena Barolo.
A lot of Italians with blue eyes in central Italy, for example Giulio Berutti.
Even in the south, Umberto Tozzi for example.
To be honest I don't understand why a lot of people in internet love so much to chat about Italians' features...me personally, I don't chat about Japanese, Chinese for example...where is the fun?
If there is one thing I know...northern and central Italians look white Europeans and we DON'T look Arabs.
greetings from north Italy.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Over-all genetically Italians are predominantly Mediterranean by excellence. This is seen by result given by the Genographic Project, however as in all European population there's also a Northern European component present.

The Genographic explanation of the Mediterranean component.
Mediterranean: This component is found at highest frequencies in southern Europe and the Levant—people from Sardinia, Italy, Greece, Lebanon, Egypt and Tunisia in our reference populations. While not limited to these groups, it is found at lower frequencies throughout the rest of Europe, the Middle East, Central and South Asia, due to these populations traveling through this region on their journeys and retaining that in their DNA. This component is likely the signal of the Neolithic population expansion from the Middle East, beginning around 8,000 years ago, likely from the western part of the Fertile Crescent.

TUSCAN (ITALY)

SARDINIAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe