U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:08 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,503,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
It is very difficult to identify an Italian, some are tall and thin others are short and fat, someone is red others are brunette or blond, someone is a poet, someone is an hero, others say lies, the question is long
Yes, mitico, this is true, but one thing unites them: "sono tutti spassosi!" For an Italian, that's an art form.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,128,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
As a expert on genealogy, how would you explain the appearance of the same group in Southern Norway? Do they have the same complexion? Are Southern Norwegians darker than their Central neighbors?
I am not exactly following your question, nor did I claim to be an expert on genealogy. You are asking me to explain the complexion of Norwegians in various parts of their country? I wasn't aware that the appearance of Norwegians changed based upon their location.

I received my information from this data set.

European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by country - Eupedia

Notice that Italians have about a 20% frequency of Haplogroup J as their paternal haplogroup. This haplogroup is found in only 1% of Norwegians though.

Haplogroup J is the majority haplogroup found in all of the Arab countries. The mixing of Europeans and other Mediterranean people's on the Italian peninsula has resulted in the darker appearance of Italians compared to other European groups today.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Depends which subclade. J1 is generally Arab, and is present in Sicily at a rate of like 5%. Most Italians who have that haplogroup are J2, which is common in Southeastern Europe, Turkey, Armenia, Assyrians and people like that.
You are right. Haplogroup J1 isn't very common in Italians according to this data set.

European Y-DNA haplogroups frequencies by region - Eupedia

It isn't exactly very common in Arabs either though. Only about 10% in most countries. Italians, particularly southern ones have a frequency of J2 very much in line with the peoples of countries in the Middle East.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I don't know if you're beng sarcatstic, but I would be careful with Internet "genealogy experts". They tend to be the kind of nutters who those wacky Internet forums where they discuss pseudo-scientific concepts that were already outdated in the 19th century. He probably doesn't even have a university education.
Well, haplogroup testing has only been around for a little over a decade, so it is hardly outdated.

Not that it is relevant to this conversation but I do have a university education. I majored in Business. Nothing genealogy related.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 PM

618 posts, read 2,625,171 times
The thing that shocks me is that there are people who think Italians look Mexican (and I don't mean the white ones.. I mean the average Mexican American, mestizo) and Persian/Iranian. I don't think Italians look much like either.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,166 times
Hey folks......wuoda a fax
We are talking about a nation that at the time of the ancient empire had only 1.5 million inhabitants in the city of Rome, you know better than me what was its extension in that time, from the current England to Mesopotamia... from Portugal to the Danube

After the fall of empire any kind of races arrived in the peninsula, northern barbarians, Arabs, Jews and Byzantines. the unique area that has not suffered invasions is the great SERENISSIMA Republic of Venice.... until 1798 with the arrival of Napoleon, but in the meantime Venice had more dealings with the East than the current Europe, so it's population was mixed with those breeds. I am Venetian and I have an olive skin as my father, my mother is white as milk, it's evident two different sources, almost all Italian families goes in this way

Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM

9,985 posts, read 6,732,986 times
Here's a really cool anthropology site where you can
click on a city or region in Europe and see a collage of photos of
residents, its very handy and fun. It's also informative because
it uses the actual anthropology terms instead of the modern
"ethnic" or "national" terms.

Anthroeurope

helpful with Italy,England,Spain but sadly missing France ?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM

618 posts, read 2,625,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Here's a really cool anthropology site where you can
click on a city or region in Europe and see a collage of photos of
residents, its very handy and fun. It's also informative because
it uses the actual anthropology terms instead of the modern
"ethnic" or "national" terms.

Anthroeurope

helpful with Italy,England,Spain but sadly missing France ?
The person who compiled those seems to always pick odd looking people, and I've heard others have the same complaint.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:04 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,518,592 times
On European pigmentation, in general Italians are quite dark-haired and dark-eyed and tan really well in summer months. They have healthier skin tones than people of Northern Europe particularly the British and Scandinavians. They are also 'better-looking' since they don't age as fast as those in Northern Europe. Pictures below are great examples:

However in northern regions of Italy, there are many individuals who fair-haired or fair-skinned or both with blue eyes. They are slightly more in common in Italy as a whole than in Portugal/Spain.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 AM

91 posts, read 112,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
And also because you have fake Italians (i.e. half Italian, half Puerto Rican or mestizos) on Jersey Shore and people are too stupid to know the difference.

I'm afraid not....Italians in the US are just like that for real...
I mean, you don't find those people in Italy.
They probably came from very specific towns and regions..and they intermarried with their own people while living in ghettos, so you have those strange people you see in NY that you don't see in Italy.
Jews there are also very ugly, lot of people with "inbred" faces and inbred congenital defects, many are sort of cockeyed, they have problem with their feet, etc.
In Argentina, Italians there are from Rome up (polenta eaters), definitely better looking, some gorgeous women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe