U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Milan, Italy
263 posts, read 817,512 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

We all know little Estonia. From it being brung up, to its business deals as of late making news...

But why is this Baltic nation, fairing so much better than the other nations that broke from the USSR?
It's wealthier than pretty much all of its neighbors and their neighbors (aside from Scandanavia)

Is it their emphasis on the technology field?

In my opinion, it's because of their government, location, businesses and focus on IT. I really am impressed by Estonia.

Edit - I feel that Estonia still has a long way to go. It's still somewhat poor... Much better than a lot of places still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Turku, Finland
317 posts, read 330,419 times
Reputation: 288
Estonia is a transparent place to do business, which attracts outside capital and gives ambitious citizens an incentive to create their own ventures.

When you can't make money selling oil or minerals, you've got to make it some other way. Wise countries like Estonia have realized that a safe business environment where property rights are respected and intellectual capital is promoted is a national resource that can actually be created from scratch. It's a blessing that small countries without natural resources can enjoy, because the only durable way to build prosperity is through creating value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
 
15,029 posts, read 13,618,313 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
We all know little Estonia. From it being brung up, to its business deals as of late making news...

But why is this Baltic nation, fairing so much better than the other nations that broke from the USSR?
It's wealthier than pretty much all of its neighbors and their neighbors (aside from Scandanavia)
Two main factors here;
Foreign investments ( Estonia is practically a subsidiary of Scandinavian companies - Swedish and Finnish)

Foreign investments in Estonia


Plus austerity that Estonia dutifully practices in exchange for money that EU sent to Estonia to keep its economy afloat.

"How do Estonians practice austerity? The young girls go to London to work as waitresses. They earn a decent wages, but choose to live like mice, three to a tiny room. The men, who go to work on the buildings in Finland, bring their provisions for the week with them – sausage, cheese, cartons of soup and cans of beer – and leave nothing behind them apart from rubbish and a bad smell. When the symphony orchestra gives a concert abroad, the musicians bring bags of sandwiches, so they can spend their pocket money on books. Austerity is strict...."

...Let’s just say that austerity is a state of mental and physical health that is well-known to Estonians, and one that we have lived with throughout history. Now that the economic crisis has put paid to its project, launched in 2005, to make Estonia one of Europe’s richest countries, the Reform Party appears to have chosen an alternative objective – to feature in the ranking of the most austere countries in Europe, before setting its sights on being the most austere country in the world. Clearly, this is a very interesting goal for our political elite who want to avoid boredom while they govern Estonia."


Austerity as a way of life | Presseurop (English)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 AM
 
1,736 posts, read 1,590,922 times
Reputation: 1130
Estonia seem to be physically, linguistically and culturally much closer to a Nordic country -Finland- than the other Baltics. There is probably considerable benefit to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 AM
 
2 posts, read 7,384 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post

Is it their emphasis on the technology field?

In my opinion, it's because of their government, location, businesses and focus on IT. I really am impressed by Estonia.

Only because of the focus on technology (University of Technology is one of the best universities here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Estonia seem to be physically, linguistically and culturally much closer to a Nordic country -Finland- than the other Baltics. There is probably considerable benefit to that.
I guess it helps a lot when your language comes from the same language subgroup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Turku, Finland
317 posts, read 330,419 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I guess it helps a lot when your language comes from the same language subgroup
And as we all know, speaking one of the mighty Finno-Ugric languages allows one to tap into a market of billions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Turku, Finland
317 posts, read 330,419 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Two main factors here;
Foreign investments ( Estonia is practically a subsidiary of Scandinavian companies - Swedish and Finnish)

Foreign investments in Estonia


Plus austerity that Estonia dutifully practices in exchange for money that EU sent to Estonia to keep its economy afloat.

"How do Estonians practice austerity? The young girls go to London to work as waitresses. They earn a decent wages, but choose to live like mice, three to a tiny room. The men, who go to work on the buildings in Finland, bring their provisions for the week with them – sausage, cheese, cartons of soup and cans of beer – and leave nothing behind them apart from rubbish and a bad smell. When the symphony orchestra gives a concert abroad, the musicians bring bags of sandwiches, so they can spend their pocket money on books. Austerity is strict...."

...Let’s just say that austerity is a state of mental and physical health that is well-known to Estonians, and one that we have lived with throughout history. Now that the economic crisis has put paid to its project, launched in 2005, to make Estonia one of Europe’s richest countries, the Reform Party appears to have chosen an alternative objective – to feature in the ranking of the most austere countries in Europe, before setting its sights on being the most austere country in the world. Clearly, this is a very interesting goal for our political elite who want to avoid boredom while they govern Estonia."
Can I paraphrase your post by saying that Estonians are one of the few EU nations that get the idea that one should sacrifice for free money?

What a novel concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:37 AM
 
15,029 posts, read 13,618,313 times
Reputation: 6916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Can I paraphrase your post by saying that Estonians are one of the few EU nations that get the idea that one should sacrifice for free money?

What a novel concept!
Well can I then paraphrase your post by saying that the key to "Estonian success" is free money that has been sent to them by E.U.?

What a novel concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM
 
2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well can I then paraphrase your post by saying that the key to "Estonian success" is free money that has been sent to them by E.U.?

What a novel concept!
Somehow I don't think that's what Judge_Smails implied.

I would interpret your previous quotes the same way he did, except I would remove the word "free". By definition, people can't "sacrifice for free money". It's not free money if people have to make sacrifices to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top