U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 10:41 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,204,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
If anything Denmark should merge with the Scandinavian countries, they are more similar.

But I don't think that should happen. Scandinavian countries have the highest quality of life in the world. Why fix something that isn't broken? Smaller populations are easier to manage.
easy to manage, but lack the economy of scale. The EU wants to put everyone together only to have the competitiveness to compete with US, China etc.

Only large countries have the resources to do a lot of things. Is it possible to Sweden to have a successful aviation company? Not likely. A larger population, economy and market have more benefits than the inconvenience. If China had 30 million people, nobody would give a damn what it does or does not do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 10:43 AM

4,220 posts, read 2,344,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Europe needs another Napoleon.
Maybe Putin is suitable for this?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Maybe Putin is suitable for this?
I never consider Russia to be European. For me Europe ends at Finland, Belarus and Bulgaria. Russia is in its own universe.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:23 PM

77,945 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
I never consider Russia to be European. For me Europe ends at Finland, Belarus and Bulgaria. Russia is in its own universe.
I don't think Napoleon saw it that way.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:51 PM

4,220 posts, read 2,344,863 times
Quote:
You are wrong.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
You are wrong.
of course I am wrong. That's just my interpretation, that's all.

And I meant it as a compliment to Russia. Russia is too big to be lumped with a bunch of tiny nations. Plus, RUssia is not all Europe, that's true.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:21 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,183,124 times
Quote:
What makes Belarus more European than Russia? They're almost indistinguishable, everybody basically speaks Russian there and the president Lukashenko is probably even more authoritarian than Putin.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
What makes Belarus more European than Russia? They're almost indistinguishable, everybody basically speaks Russian there and the president Lukashenko is probably even more authoritarian than Putin.
that's completely true. Belarus is basically Russia. I don't know why it exists.

I like tough leaders such as Putin by the way. His existence annoys many brainwashed westners, but pleases me. What is better is that he will still be around for a loooog time. The next US and Frence president both expressed willingness to work with him. Great news for the world.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 PM

77,945 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
that's completely true. Belarus is basically Russia. I don't know why it exists.

I like tough leaders such as Putin by the way. His existence annoys many brainwashed westners, but pleases me. What is better is that he will still be around for a loooog time. The next US and Frence president both expressed willingness to work with him. Great news for the world.
lol! That's so funny! Sometimes these discussions devolve into the absurd. I get your point, but it's still funny.

And don't assume anything yet about the "next US President". Wait until December 20, when the Electoral College people cast their votes. It's not over until the fat lady sings. Remember that.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM

605 posts, read 463,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
No benefit - the people and citizens would benefit.

And gosh, no. Don't give it to Lithuania. I really think it should gain independence. Economically it's just far outperforming its neighbors. It's not a big deal if its culturally similar to Russia - many countries culturally similar to another gained independence. Iceland from Denmark. Cuba from Spain. Why? For the benefit of the people.

Russia is progressing slowly and Kaliningrad is progressing fastly - the people of Kaliningrad shouldn't feel the penalties of Russia's poor government. Nor the lack of EU activity. Russia has more than enough land. I used to think that Russia was a good country, while its certainly not bad, they need to pay more mind to human rights.

You should look into individual statistics for Russia's Moscow or Saint Petersburg, than Kaliningrad.
As someone who has been to both Iceland and Denmark, I can say that those two countries are not culturally similar aside from the fact that Iceland used to be a Danish colony at one point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe