Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:05 PM

255 posts, read 926,913 times

Advertisements

Kaliningrad is a mass of land in Europe that is a Russian Oblast. It is not connected to Russia but instead Poland and Lithuania and connected by countries that are the Schengen Zone ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Area.svg.png - See that white "country" in the Baltic States)

Wouldn't it be good, if it could claim independence from Russia? It would greatly benefit the citizens of Kaliningrad. Kalinin would make a nice name for a country too. The economy is one of the best in any Russian Oblast, and it's the wealthiest per capita.

Why is this good? Greatly eliminates tension from leaving & entering Russia. (Aka Kaliningrad) and people traveling the Baltic states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Not sure I understand why the ~80% Russians that make up Kaliningrad would want to secede from the motherland.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I'm having deja vu. I had a thread on this same topic a couple of months ago. People said it would never happen, because Kalinin Oblast has a lot of military bases.

I first came across the idea of independence on a Prussian language, culture and history site (which doesn't seem to be up anymore). Descendants of ethnic Prussians want their homeland back, so it would be a 3rd independent ethnically-Baltic state, along with Latvia and Lithuania.

It's a nice dream, but that's all it'll ever be, in the foreseeable future, anyway.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Kaliningrad is a mass of land in Europe that is a Russian Oblast. It is not connected to Russia but instead Poland and Lithuania and connected by countries that are the Schengen Zone ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Area.svg.png - See that white "country" in the Baltic States)

Wouldn't it be good, if it could claim independence from Russia? It would greatly benefit the citizens of Kaliningrad. Kalinin would make a nice name for a country too.
You think so?

Mikhail Kalinin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM

749 posts, read 906,758 times
It is not favorable to inhabitants of the Kaliningrad region to separate from Russia since they (also as Vladivostok) have the special status. Through these regions passes large volume of smuggling which feeds local population, Kaliningrad call "a black hole" of Russia, but having separated they will lose this advantage.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I was wondering about that landmass. I didn't know it existed until I looked at a map recently.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
There are already other small maverick states surrounding Russia (Transdniestria, Abkhazia, South Ossetia). I believe it's enough already. Multiplicating micro-states can only be a source of trouble on the international scene.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

255 posts, read 926,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Not sure I understand why the ~80% Russians that make up Kaliningrad would want to secede from the motherland.
Because they're becoming increasingly isolated - This can really only harm Kaliningrad in the future. It's also in a longtime area of Prussian culture and ethnicity. Russia doesn't seem to have much of an interest in this area. It's almost an area of political tension for the Baltic countries having yet another Russian border.

I wouldn't be happy there, or in a city near there in Poland or Lithuania. I can't really imagine them either - essentially it functions as a country when it comes to everything but politically. It has it's own economic and culture-tied niches.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Because they're becoming increasingly isolated - This can really only harm Kaliningrad in the future. It's also in a longtime area of Prussian culture and ethnicity. Russia doesn't seem to have much of an interest in this area. It's almost an area of political tension for the Baltic countries having yet another Russian border.

I wouldn't be happy there, or in a city near there in Poland or Lithuania. I can't really imagine them either - essentially it functions as a country when it comes to everything but politically. It has it's own economic and culture-tied niches.
I'm not sure I buy your premise about isolation, but I admit I don't know the specifics. My only point is that the people of Kaliningrad have the same ethnic makeup as 'mainland' Russia, so why would they want to become their own country?

Sadly, WWII took care of the "longtime area of Prussian culture and ethnicity". Unless you're advocating a massive return of Prussians (the Russians won't like that), this enclave is never going to become a country on the basis of its Prussian heritage. The timeline is obviously different but IMO it's similar to Serbia's claims to Kosovo for historical reasons -- it's just too late now.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm having deja vu. I had a thread on this same topic a couple of months ago. People said it would never happen, because Kalinin Oblast has a lot of military bases.

I first came across the idea of independence on a Prussian language, culture and history site (which doesn't seem to be up anymore). Descendants of ethnic Prussians want their homeland back, so it would be a 3rd independent ethnically-Baltic state, along with Latvia and Lithuania.

It's a nice dream, but that's all it'll ever be, in the foreseeable future, anyway.
Prussians? What Prussians? The Baltic Prussians were ethnically cleansed by the Germans (Teutonic Knights) with the Prussian culture going extinct by the 17th century. The German Prussians just adopted the old name of the peoples they exterminated, they are the same "settlers" as current Russians, both are not native populations of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe