Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
I've read some stuff about people from Europe being unfriendly. Like people from Paris, Ireland, and eastern Europe. Is it really true? I always thought Europeans were friendly, especailly since Europe is pretty liberal.
It's hit and miss.

Some European countries are generally more aloof than others, but they generally function well and a modicum of politeness can reasonably be expected.

Other situations are dependent on how acculturated you are to their specific country or region - for me, that would be Portugal. I don't have a shred of Portuguese in me, but have taught myself the language and show an affinity for their country and culture, so they treat me well. Similarly, if one speaks decent French, their experience in France should be largely positive.

The country I can vouch for best is Italy, having gone countless times. As you know, the top of Italy is considered "continental." The south, such as Sicily, is considered an entity onto itself. At the top of Italy, I find that service is uniformly good and they are super nice to me, probably assuming that's where I have my ancestral roots. They are also more likely to have traveled and are more used to travelers (in Milan, Venice, etc.). On the other hand, Sicilians present a different scenario. They can either be the nicest of people, practically walking you to your desired destination, or the rudest of people, to which a "vaffan****" is both called for and rolls right off the tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
To be honest I actually expects clerks to be that way. They are paid to be nice to customers, aren't they?
I don't understand why anybody would hire someone who can't be polite to paying customers unless they want to drive these customers away. There is such a thing as professionalism...
I think everybody expects politeness, that's a given. But in my opinion, they don't have to smile like a retard all the time. In 99% of the cases I don't know the clerk personally, so I expect some "distance" between us.

One of the few shops in Austria where you get "typical" American customer service is Hollister. Besides the other oddities in this shop, it always feels like they know me for ages. But not in a very pleasant way. While that may be considered as one of the most professional customer services (well trained etc.), it just doesn't feel right outside of the US.
You know what you get, when you enter Hollister. But if some other store would pull that off, it would be considered as highly unprofessional.

In my opinion it's just a cultural difference in customer service. I don't really regard Americans as more friendly, nor do I consider an Austrian shopkeeper as rude, just because he doesn't have a choreographed sales pitch.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,527 times
Quote:
To be honest I actually expects clerks to be that way. They are paid to be nice to customers, aren't they?
I don't understand why anybody would hire someone who can't be polite to paying customers unless they want to drive these customers away. There is such a thing as professionalism...
I can't stand clerks who are overly friendly. When I enter a store, I want to be left alone. I don't like it when they walk up to you and try to start a conversation (asking you what you're looking for, giving advice, etc.), it feels pushy and uncomfortable. If I have any questions, I know where to find a clerk myself.

Reminds me of this, lol

Last edited by LindavG; 12-03-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,009,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarnight View Post
The people in Germany are quite friendly, but it takes time to break the ice. Once the ice is broken, they can be very friendly and loyal.
But we stare

Staring Germans, why do they do it so? - Toytown Germany

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I can't stand clerks who are overly friendly. When I enter a store, I want to be left alone. I don't like it when they walk up to you and try to start a conversation (asking you what you're looking for, giving advice, etc.), it feels pushy and uncomfortable. If I have any questions, I know where to find a clerk myself.

Reminds me of this, lol

Lol

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Do you realize that some people got infractions just for "telling it like it is" and here you have a moderator doing the bashing?
If you have a problem with a moderator,

Complaints

Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

61,637 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I didn't expect this because, well, your name is in bold, with a star beside it, you know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I'm glad that you've mentioned this, barneyg. It really is strange that this sort of thing qualifies as "moderating" here on C-D (especially considering that when Americans post comments of this nature, they're likely to be removed immediately as "trolling" comments).

Cripes, how come I haven't been nominated for moderator yet (HAHAHA)?

Let's just see how long this comment (and my membership) lasts, if you know what I mean...
When I moderate, I post in red and everyone will clearly know when and why.
Moderators are also members of the C-D community. We do post in many forums like any other member.
We also are allowed to have and voice an opinion.
My post here has nothing to do with moderating.

Last edited by elnina; 12-03-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
When i was in Europe this year i found the people in Sorrento and that area (Massalubrense, Amalfitani coast) to be the nicest and more polite and welcoming i ve ever seen in the world.
And i found people in Amsterdam to be extremely nice and friendly.

Paris not so much, not as bad as i thought, but not extremely friendly either.

Rome was the worse. People were rude as i ve never seen before.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPablo View Post
I think that in Spain people are more friendly that other european countries that I have visited, but obviously there are differences, in the south, people are more extroverted, in big cities as Madrid and Barcelona people are less nice, and in the north where I live actually people are less cheerful than in my hometown at first, but when you know a bit more about them, they are good people too.

Which part of Spain has you visited?

Sorry for my English I'm Spanish
Andalucia, Barcelona, Basque Country (Guipuzcoa), and Madrid

Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Americans fall all over themselves being friendly/curious/helpful towards European visitors. Europeans will often be polite and kind towards American visitors, but not the "puppy dog friendly" Americans are towards them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe