U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,737,849 times
Reputation: 3272

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, in case of an emergency you will not be denied treatment anywhere in the EU. We still save people before we ask for the credit card
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,737,849 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Brazil is also easy to retire to, you need an income of 2000 USD per month, that is pretty much all it takes when you are over 50

Don't know about Australia, they still need working immigrants, even for simple jobs such as truck driving.
I'm staying put in Scotland but we did look at retirement to Australia after our first visit. They had a retirement visa but it required enough money to buy a home and 500K in the bank. The visa has been withdrawn now. Guess they don't want old people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times
Reputation: 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm staying put in Scotland but we did look at retirement to Australia after our first visit. They had a retirement visa but it required enough money to buy a home and 500K in the bank. The visa has been withdrawn now. Guess they don't want old people.
Gee, who has that much money?! I suppose that visa became obsolete because people who have that kind of cash can buy their way into better places anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,737,849 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Gee, who has that much money?! I suppose that visa became obsolete because people who have that kind of cash can buy their way into better places anyway.
It was in Aussie dollars and at that time it was $2.50/1. But what's wrong with Australia that you'd say 'better places'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,247 posts, read 19,240,834 times
Reputation: 8460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
It was in Aussie dollars and at that time it was $2.50/1. But what's wrong with Australia that you'd say 'better places'?
For my taste the weather is too extreme, often it is too hot, then again there is extensive floods and what not. Not to mention all the snakes And most important, I would feel like living at the end of the world. Plus, I can't stand the sound of Australian English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,737,849 times
Reputation: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
For my taste the weather is too extreme, often it is too hot, then again there is extensive floods and what not. Not to mention all the snakes And most important, I would feel like living at the end of the world. Plus, I can't stand the sound of Australian English
I've got lots of inlaws there which is one reason we liked it there. But, yea, the snakes and spiders are scary. And it would have made it even harder to visit my grandkids in the US. I think the Aussie accent is cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,106,799 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, in case of an emergency you will not be denied treatment anywhere in the EU. We still save people before we ask for the credit card
So do we. I don't know how it's different in this regard. You are still stuck with the bill if you are not normally resident in the country you sought treatment in, unless you have an EHIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,921 posts, read 7,717,887 times
Reputation: 4448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Perfect. Just to be clear, if I am a property owner in Ireland, without residency, it will not affect the type of visa they give me? I can't imagine how they would know that I'm a property owner-well, actually I can; everything is on computer records nowadays-but my concern is that property ownership in Ireland may require me to obtain a non-tourist (or resident) visa? Thx for the replies, they have been very helpful.
I do not believe that owning property will give you any leeway. Have you already looked into the site

Move to Ireland Free Site - Help for Immigrants Moving to Ireland ? It was very helpful when my family moved over (my husband is an Irish citizen) so it was obviously a different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Betwixt and Between
463 posts, read 979,746 times
Reputation: 421
Thanks for that link-I hadn't seen that site before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
3,921 posts, read 7,717,887 times
Reputation: 4448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Thanks for that link-I hadn't seen that site before.
If you ask your question on the message board, the site owner will respond with just about anything you need to know. It sometimes takes him a while to answer, however so be patient!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top