U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM

372 posts, read 424,667 times
Default Americans retiring to Ireland

Are there any Americans on the forum who have retired (full time or part time) in Ireland? I'm thinking about buying a vacation home and spending summers there. I'd like to hear from others who have tried it. I have close friends in the UK and I wouldn't have to work. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM

18,497 posts, read 8,630,331 times
Retiring to Ireland

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM

Been there, done that but thx very much for the reply. Forgot to mention that I also have Canadian citizenship if that matters.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM

18,497 posts, read 8,630,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Been there, done that but thx very much for the reply. Forgot to mention that I also have Canadian citizenship if that matters.
That doesn't matter. The only citizenship that would matter is if you have citizenship of a country part of the EU or EEA (includes Switzerland and Norway). If you don't, you're limited to the maximum amount of time in Ireland visa free, or you must apply for a visitor's visa to extend past the 3 months leave, or whatever it is, most people automatically get.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:27 AM

2,651 posts, read 7,103,456 times
Quote:
Are there any Americans on the forum who have retired (full time or part time) in Ireland? I'm thinking about buying a vacation home and spending summers there. I'd like to hear from others who have tried it. I have close friends in the UK and I wouldn't have to work. Anyone?
But you're not retiring to Ireland, you're just planning to live there a few months a year. This is vacation, and not any kind of permanent or temporary residency?

Most non-visa destinations allow a visitor 90 days of easy breezy visitation. After 90 days all other kinds of residency regulations come into play which vary by country, visitor nationality, local property ownership, and all kinds of other particularities.

Your question is too vague to answer accurately.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I realize that I would get the 3 months stay and I'm not trying for residency. When I was living in Peru and my tourist visa ran out (didn't have my residencia), I would just go to Bolivia for awhile and then get 3 more months when I returned. I'm wondering if the situation is the same for Ireland? I'd like to buy a cottage and then use it as a base to explore Europe. Or would I be limited to one tourist visa per year for example, limiting me to 3 months per year?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,210,406 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I realize that I would get the 3 months stay and I'm not trying for residency. When I was living in Peru and my tourist visa ran out (didn't have my residencia), I would just go to Bolivia for awhile and then get 3 more months when I returned. I'm wondering if the situation is the same for Ireland? I'd like to buy a cottage and then use it as a base to explore Europe. Or would I be limited to one tourist visa per year for example, limiting me to 3 months per year?
Ireland is not part of the Schengen area. You could "reset" your status by entering, for instance, France and then return to Ireland. You should then get another 90 days. The U.K. is also not part of the Schengen area. So if you leave Ireland, you would get an additional 90 days in the U.K. In the Schengen area, it dosent matter if you go from country to country. Your 90 day limit will not be "reset".

Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Ireland is not part of the Schengen area. You could "reset" your status by entering, for instance, France and then return to Ireland. You should then get another 90 days. The U.K. is also not part of the Schengen area. So if you leave Ireland, you would get an additional 90 days in the U.K. In the Schengen area, it dosent matter if you go from country to country. Your 90 day limit will not be "reset".

Perfect. Just to be clear, if I am a property owner in Ireland, without residency, it will not affect the type of visa they give me? I can't imagine how they would know that I'm a property owner-well, actually I can; everything is on computer records nowadays-but my concern is that property ownership in Ireland may require me to obtain a non-tourist (or resident) visa? Thx for the replies, they have been very helpful.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM

663 posts, read 1,383,817 times
There is no guarantee that you can get a new 90-day tourist visa every 3 months by taking a day trip to France etc. You can probably get away with it 2 or 3 times but sooner or later immigration control are likely to take the view that you are abusing the system. When that happens you will be refused entry - as a tourist you have no rights to enter the country - it's at their discretion. If you stick to 3 months per year you should be ok.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM

20,680 posts, read 7,222,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Can you actually do that though? I wouldn't want to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe