Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They can happen anywhere
They can, but as someone else pointed out, incidents in Europe, Scandaniavia, UK, etc are much more rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
There is something particularly heinous about the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. This guy targeted as many 6 and 7 year-old schoolchildren as he could and killed each of them with multiple bullets that penetrated different parts of their bodies from a military-style assault rifle.

This is more obscene and evil than anything I've heard in the U.S. in recent memory.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM

72,974 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
They can, but as someone else pointed out, incidents in Europe, Scandaniavia, UK, etc are much more rare.
These kinds of shootings hardly ever happen in Switzerland, and most of the male population has a firearm. And the nations you mentioned have better mental health systems than the USA does.

And even then, you have some nut like Anders Breivik.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM

72,974 posts, read 62,554,457 times
The problem with Adam Lanza was not the weapon, but him. If he had gone into that school with a machete, it would have been the same result: Dead people. The only difference was that the shooting just made everything faster. Other than that, Adam Lanza was evil and mentally unstable.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:52 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And even then, you have some nut like Anders Breivik.

Yeah, but again, that was a rarity.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruban View Post
What I don't understand is why you would ever -need- the right to carry a gun wherever you want. Why do you need a gun in your home, why do you need a gun strapped to your belt when you go to the store? Why do you need a gun anywhere other than the gun range or out hunting?
Well then YOU are certainly free NOT to carry one. Don't tell me that I shouldn't be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruban View Post
P.S.: I have a concealed carry license, and I shouldn't need one to feel safe.
Then you sir are a complete hypocrite.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is something particularly heinous about the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. This guy targeted as many 6 and 7 year-old schoolchildren as he could and killed each of them with multiple bullets that penetrated different parts of their bodies from a military-style assault rifle.

This is more obscene and evil than anything I've heard in the U.S. in recent memory.
Well, more recent reports indicate the killings were primarily carried out with pistols, while the rifle was only used rarely.
The reality is that such "mass crimes" are tied to the American fetish for having those w/serious mental illnesses live "in the community", rather than to be better monitored (as is more common in the Western world). That's where some sort of resolution lies...

Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 AM

255 posts, read 926,913 times
To make a long story short

Europe is a group of countries and we all have cities.

They are different - from laws to how we enforce them. The country itself, how effective the city is. There are a lot of factors.

It's worse in some countries, such as UK or Italy, and then very rare in others such as Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia.

Oh, you also have Russia where they happen near as much as the US... Maybe not as much but fairly close?

(PS - It's possible that since I live in Italy, I may view our shootings as more frequent than most of Europe just because I hear about it when we may not hear about a minor one in say Germany.)

Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Access to guns isn't necessarily the issue in the US - guns are intrenched into their culture and many are already in circulation, so limiting gun access would make little difference. Conversely, guns have never been popular here.

Access to mental healthcare is a really big factor - people who are mentally ill should be encouraged or even forced to go to mental healthcare professionals/institutes, and not gun stores.

But to answer the question, they happen, but not frequently. Gun related deaths here are very low, as far as the average person is concerned, they might as well not exist.

mental health policy in the uk ( and ireland ) is devised by liberals nowadays and they are vehemently opposed to the idea of forcing anyone to turn themselves in for treatment for mental illness , no matter how severe , the increased liberalisation of mental health policy has done nothing only increase the prison populations of various countries , when they done away with the traditional mental assylum , a significant chunk of patients either ended up homeless or in jail

Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Interesting - but getting a gun would still be easier than getting mental healthcare, voluntary or not, and that is the issue that really needs looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe