Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruban View Post

What I don't understand is why you would ever -need- the right to carry a gun wherever you want. Why do you need a gun in your home, why do you need a gun strapped to your belt when you go to the store? Why do you need a gun anywhere other than the gun range or out hunting? The answer is hopefully because you don't feel safe. Any other reason for bearing arms is completely invalid, and if you don't feel safe in your own community THEN SOMETHING IS WRONG AND NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
It never will be fixed. It might be minimized by having a society that went back to enforcing individual liberty, private property and personal space as well as having some morality and judgmentalism about right and wrong.

It's true that here in the USA that guns end up involved with murder and suicide. However it is usually criminal on criminal and in many cases ownership of guns acts as deterrent to commit crime or stops the crime in progress. Around where I live in PA, home breakins and business holdups are very uncommon because around here most people have a gun, so your criminal career will not last for long before getting plugged and you die of lead poisoning.

If you look at crime rates, Europe is way more violent and criminal overall. Anecdotal evidence from the many Europeans I know all say how much safer the USA is and how much theft, burglary and assault they undergo. All of my british friends have all endured multiple house robberies and car thefts as well as vandalism. Crime runs rampant in Europe because crims don't get locked up for long and there is no risk of people defending themselves.

I also watch a lot of European reality cop shows and the cops have their hands tied and criminals know it. There are few consequences for criminals in Europe.

If you look at problem crime areas in the USA, they are all in the most restrictive places with gun laws. Chicago is a great example of the failures of gun control.

I own guns because not only are they a way of obtaining protein and fat if it comes to that, but also for target shooting and defense. I don't live in utopia nor in government protected paradise. Instead I have chosen to take personal responsibility to defend my own space and not have to rely on government to be there when life goes bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Let's say Adam Lanza or the Columbine shooters lived in Australia. As a teenager, it's nigh on impossible to obtain a weapon like he used. So yes, nobody is forgetting that these people aren't 'normal', but what is the teenager here gonna do, stab 20 kids? He'd be stopped after he stabbed 1 or 2 at most. Only with a semi-automatic rifle could he so easily mow down 20 innocent children in a matter of minutes, like a video game. There is one mass shooting in Australian history on this scale of civilians, in Port Arthur. Even after that our government responded swiftly - it was a pretty unanimous decision. Any sort of gun death is so rare here it makes the news, let alone a mass shooting which categorically almost never happens. It's not Europe, but the situation is similar to Europe. You can't say gun laws have NO IMPACT on homicide rates or firearm homicide rates, at least.
And look at how crime rates have skyrocketed in Australia, with many putting bars and security doors on their houses to keep out the crims. The use of illegal firearms is also going way up in the commission of crime.

I know a few police officers that have been confronted by people with knives. You've been watching too many movies if you think that you are going to wrestle a crazed madman to the ground that is running around knifing people. In China recently a criminal knifed 20 kids at a school.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The problem with Adam Lanza was not the weapon, but him. If he had gone into that school with a machete, it would have been the same result: Dead people. The only difference was that the shooting just made everything faster. Other than that, Adam Lanza was evil and mentally unstable.
He could have done the same thing to the point of possibly it being worse, because all indications were that his gun jammed and he didn't clear the stoppage.

In regards to Europe lets not forget only back in the 1990's the gruesome amount of mass slaughter in the former Yugoslavia that made any school shooting in the USA look like nothing. This was right smack dab in the center of Europe with countries like Austria, Italy, Greece, etc all next door. Europeans sat and watched on TV and did nothing while tens of thousands were raped, stabbed, murdered, machine gunned and tortured.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM

190 posts, read 567,827 times
Shootings occurs in Germany and Europe every X amount of years. The populace stays at ease and then start killing each other for some idiotic thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe