U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 46,358 times

Advertisements

It seems like major school shootings happen at least once a year in the U.S..In this latest one 27 were murdered, most of them children between the ages of 5-10. I'm moving to Germany in a few years to go to school, and things like this are one of the biggest reasons. I have to keep a loaded gun in my house just for my wife and I to feel safe, it's sad really. I don't think I ever want to have kids in the U.S.. Between the shootings, the poverty, and corporate America I just can't handle it anymore. It's sad too, because America is a beautiful, wide open country.

27 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut School, Gunman Dead - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM

5,599 posts, read 8,288,967 times
They don't happen as often, but they aren't unheard of in Germany or elsewhere in Europe - I actually used to know a girl who was at the school in Erfurt which had one in 2002:

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I'd always thought American school shootings were a modern phenomenon, since I'd never heard of any before Columbine and I remember how big a news story that was. Reading the Wiki article though it seems they've been going on pretty regularly for centuries.)

Last edited by ben86; 12-14-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM

48,259 posts, read 45,529,249 times
They can happen anywhere, with or without gun laws. If someone is that evil and doesn't care, he or she will find a way to kill many people. Gun laws in Germany are stricter than in the USA. And yet, shootings happen there too.

Timeline: Tragic school shootings - Europe - World - The Independent
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/wo...anted=all&_r=0
16 die in rampage in German school, towns - World news - Europe | NBC News

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM

6,630 posts, read 10,684,371 times
Norway massacre in 2011 is somewhat akin to this, I believe around 77 dead, many children.

Latest report in the Connecticut incident is that the gunman, a father or uncle of a student, had an altercation with the school principal.

Insanity is everywhere.

My heart aches for the parents of the children.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,978,474 times
much more rare , the norwegian massacre was on a huge scale , their has been about half a dozen massacres in the uk in the past twenty five years

Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,544,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
They can happen anywhere, with or without gun laws. If someone is that evil and doesn't care, he or she will find a way to kill many people. Gun laws in Germany are stricter than in the USA. And yet, shootings happen there too.
Yes, but this fact holds no water in the minds of anti-gun zealots from outside of (and within) the United States.

I guarantee that virtually no one on this thread will scrutinize the motives and background of the killer(s), no one will scrutinize the police response, and everyone will reflexively blame U.S. gun laws alone, with total disregard for the fact that CT, along with most of the NE region, has what are amongst the strictest gun laws in the country.

But who cares, right?

The obliteration of firearm ownerhip is an ideology unto itself--it has nothing to do with facts, statistics, preserving life, etc.

Let the anti-gun moralizing begin...

Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,097,982 times
Happened once near where I live absolutely shocking how young they were Dunblane school massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one in the US sounds dreadful. Sympathies to all the victims and their family. Beyong belief.

And montguy its just happened and you are moaning about anti-gun people.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM

7,148 posts, read 7,978,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Happened once near where I live absolutely shocking how young they were Dunblane school massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one in the US sounds dreadful. Sympathies to all the victims and their family. Beyong belief.

And montguy its just happened and you are moaning about anti-gun people.
i passed by the exit for dunblane while on route from the north of england ( M6) to stranraer , isnt dunblane in dumfries and galloway ?

tennis player andy murray is from there , isnt he

Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,544,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Yes, this incident immediately brought to mind the Dunblane massacre, along with the political ramifications that followed.

Intuitively, I do believe that this tragedy will bring about national consequences for schools, students, teachers, and, of course, gun owners. This incident will be politicized to the greatest extent possible in the months (or even years) to come, and that, to me, is a tragedy in and of itself.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM

38,058 posts, read 55,833,861 times
I agree, shootings happen in every continent. However you need to take a close look at the wiki listings:
the lists are long, but some were incidents without anyone getting killed, lots with "just" 1-2 people killed. Real big shootings happen only few times during the last 50 years or so.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or