Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Just read an article about a Hungarian political party calling on making a list of prominent Jews in Hungary. Have read other articles about vandalism and attacks against Jews in other parts of Europe including in France. I can see, but not agree, such attacks coming from muslim immigrants. But this isn't muslim immigrants. In the Hungarian example, this was native people of a country that sided with Nazi Germany in the 1940s. Even some Europeans, and some Americans, who opposed Nazi Germany agreed with their hatred of Jews. This has been going on long before the nation of Israel was ever created and recognized by the United Nations. Israel is just an excuse for continuing hatred of Jews. I just don't understand the source of the hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
I think it may have to do with economic situations. Anti-semitism is always there, but when others are out of work and the economy is bad - they start blaming those who have been wise and have prospered. In nearly every nation, that would include much of the Jewish population. Generally speaking, they value hard work, education, and helping each other out (including interest free loans within their synagogues). The Jews have been suffering persecution every where for such a long time that they have honed their survival skills (which also includes business survival skills). all people could learn from them in how to be success oriented (and many have). But most don't and so they grow resentful. They demonize them for it and then they think that they can be successful by eliminating those who are on top.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 12-17-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
i used to own an appartment in budapest ( never lived there ) , i did sense a significant degree of anti semetism in that city

Old 12-17-2012, 10:01 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Just read an article about a Hungarian political party calling on making a list of prominent Jews in Hungary. Have read other articles about vandalism and attacks against Jews in other parts of Europe including in France. I can see, but not agree, such attacks coming from muslim immigrants. But this isn't muslim immigrants. In the Hungarian example, this was native people of a country that sided with Nazi Germany in the 1940s. Even some Europeans, and some Americans, who opposed Nazi Germany agreed with their hatred of Jews. This has been going on long before the nation of Israel was ever created and recognized by the United Nations. Israel is just an excuse for continuing hatred of Jews. I just don't understand the source of the hatred.
The reason? Dumb and uneducated people.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think it may have to do with economic situations. Anti-semitism is always there, but when others are out of work and the economy is bad - they start blaming those who have been wise and have prospered. In nearly every nation, that would include much of the Jewish population. Generally speaking, they value hard work, education, and helping each other out (including interest free loans within their synagogues). The Jews have been suffering persecution every where for such a long time that they have honed their survival skills (which also includes business survival skills). all people could learn from them in how to be success oriented (and many have). But most don't and so they grow resentful. They demonize them for it and then they think that they can be successful by eliminating those who are on top.
The Jews lost their homeland (for the second time) around 135 AD and they did not get it back until around 1,900 years later.

In the meantime, they scattered (the diaspora) and in many cases form an "international" network whose loyalty goes beyond that of the host nation, citizens of it or not.

I would guess that anti-Jewish sentiment and policies arise at times when a country feels economically and/or politically threatened from abroad. This may true about anti-foreign sentiment in general - the foreign scapegoat or bogeyman to garner domestic support is one of the ruling classes' oldest tricks in the book -, but often the Jews are considered the most powerful "foreign" body within a body politic, so.

Personally I can only admire a people who have so zealously guarded their cultural identity for some 5,000 years, spanning several civilizations, forms of body politic, languages, continents, and even such momentous changes as the industrial revolution, astutely allying themselves to the nascent industrial powers while their closest enemies remained for the most part in the previous era in terms of technology and social organization and have been slow get with the new game, so to speak.

In short, the Jews to a significant extent have remained ahead of the curve in world developments, often arousing the resenment of those who feel threatened by them. The result is survival and retainment of cultural identity. Over 5,000 or so years that is a great achievement.

Those who fail to stay ahead of the curve in world developments become subsumed by larger powers of the day that do and become buried in history, while the Jews seems to slide their way through time after time after time after time.

My father used to say, "God helps those who help themselves".

God bless them, then.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
It's a tough economy. In a really bad economy, scapegoats are sought. The Jews are an easy mark. Almost since the dawn of history they've been persecuted, expelled from one place or another, and attacked.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
In many cases throughout history, the Jews have done very well for themselves while maintaining a separate lifestyle and culture (refusal to assimilate) from their host community even when not being actively persecuted. This has caused suspicion and resentment from the indigenous people. Throw some ancient religious animosity into the mix and, voila, anti-Semitism.

The Reform Judaism movement was started just to ameliorate this phenomenon. Unfortunately, it was not enough to end anti-Semitism in the 20th century.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
Muslim immigrants, leftists/left wing extremists, Neo-Nazis/right-wing extremists.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Stupidity and ignorance to begin with, add a nasty dose of economic recession and you have a perfect storm ready to unleash. Bad times always bring out the worst in people. What was always there but dormant is suddenly awakened and a scapegoat has to be found for whatever difficulties people find themselves in, be it immigrants, or people from other races, etnicities, cultures, faiths, sexual orientations etc...

Human beings are herd animals. We tend to congregate around those who are like us and for some bizarre reasons it seems to make us feel better to point the finger at and bully those who are not. We always have to find someone else to blame and I don't think it is only Jewish people who bear the brunt.

Prejudices run deep and because they are not based on reason, logic or facts there is often sadly little chance of diffusing what is basically a form of fanaticism.

I find what is happening in Hungary ( and to a certain extent all over Europe with the popularity of extreme right wing parties) really worrying. It reminds me a little too much of the 30s in Germany. A few whackjobs who are on the edge of society suddenly become mainstream and it can't be good...

You can't argue with a fanatic whose idelogy is based on fear, knee jerk reactions and blind hatred. It is like talking to a brick wall. There is no reasoning with people who do not use reason as an argument. They whip ordinary people into a hysterical frenzy based on suspicions and wariness of the "other" rather than facts. Dangerous and pathetic.

And sadly there are too many people willing to be taken in , waiting eagerly for a reason, any excuse to shift the blame on minorities. Jewish people tend to be successful and often perceived by a certain side of society as taking something away from "ordinary" citizens. Ludicrous, wrong and utterly moronic but a popular one with many people who just want to hate simply because....

Old 12-18-2012, 04:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
I made a dent in my neighbor's hatred of Jews. Many african-americans here have a similar hatred towards jews. However, she is deeply religious in Christian based faith. I was surprised when she expressed her hatred towards Jews so I calmly appealed to her religious faith and pointed out that Mary, Joseph, Jesus, and all his apostles were Jews. She was honestly surprised and hadn't thought of this. She then said Jews hate black people. I then pointed out Sammy Davis Jr. and the tribes of Africans who are Jewish. She knew and trusted me and I mentioned all this to her in a calm manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Stupidity and ignorance to begin with, add a nasty dose of economic recession and you have a perfect storm ready to unleash. Bad times always bring out the worst in people. What was always there but dormant is suddenly awakened and a scapegoat has to be found for whatever difficulties people find themselves in, be it immigrants, or people from other races, etnicities, cultures, faiths, sexual orientations etc...

Human beings are herd animals. We tend to congregate around those who are like us and for some bizarre reasons it seems to make us feel better to point the finger at and bully those who are not. We always have to find someone else to blame and I don't think it is only Jewish people who bear the brunt.

Prejudices run deep and because they are not based on reason, logic or facts there is often sadly little chance of diffusing what is basically a form of fanaticism.

I find what is happening in Hungary ( and to a certain extent all over Europe with the popularity of extreme right wing parties) really worrying. It reminds me a little too much of the 30s in Germany. A few whackjobs who are on the edge of society suddenly become mainstream and it can't be good...

You can't argue with a fanatic whose idelogy is based on fear, knee jerk reactions and blind hatred. It is like talking to a brick wall. There is no reasoning with people who do not use reason as an argument. They whip ordinary people into a hysterical frenzy based on suspicions and wariness of the "other" rather than facts. Dangerous and pathetic.

And sadly there are too many people willing to be taken in , waiting eagerly for a reason, any excuse to shift the blame on minorities. Jewish people tend to be successful and often perceived by a certain side of society as taking something away from "ordinary" citizens. Ludicrous, wrong and utterly moronic but a popular one with many people who just want to hate simply because....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe