Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM

16 posts, read 54,716 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My husband got a 6 month job with the University in Cordoba Spain. We've never been to Europe, although we've traveled the Americas quite a bit. This is super exciting! We'd be there summer thru fall.

We have a 4 yr old daughter (and a lazy cat) and I won't be working while we are there. I would really appreciate advice.

Could you suggest good, safe, pleasant neighborhoods within walking or biking distance from the University? We won't have a car, but could get a bike or is that too hazardous? How do people in Cordoba (or Spain in general) find housing?

What is grocery shopping like? Farmer's Markets or regular stores?

What type of activities are available for young children in Cordoba? I surely don't know if there is library storytime or soccer classes for 4 yr olds. How might we connect with a community of people with small children?

Do most people have cars or is the public transportation a great option?

Is it very safe or are there places that we should avoid living or visiting?

Will my Spanish (learned in central America) be passable in southern Spain?

Is there anything else that we should know or be prepared for? I'd like to hear anything you might suggest. Perhaps there is something that I don't even know to ask!

We are really excited and so grateful for your considerate time and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 AM

190 posts, read 571,447 times
Cordoba is a nice city with many tourists. The Mosque and the old town are packed with tourists, all pickpockets are around that area. Apart from that, it's a walkable city, with markets and large superstores outside, modern sections and much cheaper than Barcelona or Madrid if you avoid turisty places around the Mosque and old quarters. Cordoba has cold winterns because the mountains, hot summers and they speak Andalusian, mutually unterstandable with your Central American Spanish. As to jobs, you could teach Spanish at home, for example.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
How do people in Cordoba (or Spain in general) find housing? I don't really know as I haven't been there but Andalucia is a cheap part of Spain, and Cordoba is not a huge city so I bet you won't have problems.

What is grocery shopping like? Farmer's Markets or regular stores? Regular stores, but in each city you can find farmer markets so it's just investigate

What type of activities are available for young children in Cordoba? I surely don't know if there is library storytime or soccer classes for 4 yr olds. How might we connect with a community of people with small children? I am sure you have plenty of activities, soccer for kids for sure, also public libraries prepare activities for kids in the whole country, maybe the Church as well and some schools.

Do most people have cars or is the public transportation a great option? Most people have cars but pubic transport is OK

Is it very safe or are there places that we should avoid living or visiting? no idea

Will my Spanish (learned in central America) be passable in southern Spain? Yeah, if you fluent it is ok if it is from America.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
About the housing, I presume you will be staying a hotel at first. Just ask and they will refer to you some very popular sites for rental homes.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,714 times
I am from Barcelona, (North-East of Spain),never been to Cordoba, but here's a few thoughts:

Cordoba is a small city, so everything will be at walking distance. Andalucia in general is cheap and touristy, and Cordoba is articular is very culture-aimed due to her rich past. Don´t worry about safety, Cordoba is not a dangerous place at all, perhaps some pickpocketing as in all touristic cities. Andalusian accent is very similar to Latin American, so you won´t have communication problems.

Enoy your stay.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 54,716 times
Thank you for your ideas and comments.

Where do people in Spain advertise for housing on-line? I cannot seem to find a proper website for finding house/apartment rentals. Perhaps it is best to use a hotel for the first week until we find a 6-month residence? I would be worried that it might be hard to find something so short notice, if we wait until we get there.

Is there nice housing near the University or is it all noisy/wild because of the students?

Do people commute through Cordoba via bike?

Thanks again!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
I've been a few times, but as a tourist and only know about the touristic parts of the city so I don't know about good and pleasant neighborhoods and don't know where the Universty is.

The spanish usually look for houses through the internet, magazines about real states, but mostly walking on the streets. Stroll around the neighborhood that interests you, because usually houses for rent have signs with a phone number.

Also look where exactly your husband will work, in wich Campus because in Spain the universities do not have all the faculties in the same place.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeB View Post
Hello there!

My husband got a 6 month job with the University in Cordoba Spain. We've never been to Europe, although we've traveled the Americas quite a bit. This is super exciting! We'd be there summer thru fall.

We have a 4 yr old daughter (and a lazy cat) and I won't be working while we are there. I would really appreciate advice.

Could you suggest good, safe, pleasant neighborhoods within walking or biking distance from the University? We won't have a car, but could get a bike or is that too hazardous? How do people in Cordoba (or Spain in general) find housing?

There are several websites out there google.es and look do a search for alquilar..

What is grocery shopping like? Farmer's Markets or regular stores?

Mix of both, I don't know the market day in Cordoba, but usually the markets are open everyday with one day of the week being the biggest day.

What type of activities are available for young children in Cordoba? I surely don't know if there is library storytime or soccer classes for 4 yr olds. How might we connect with a community of people with small children?

There are parks everywhere in Spain.

Do most people have cars or is the public transportation a great option?

Take public transportation, your on the ave line to Sevilla, the regional trains run everywhere from there. Also bus is cheaper and you can get to many places on it.

Is it very safe or are there places that we should avoid living or visiting?

Will my Spanish (learned in central America) be passable in southern Spain?

Yes, you may want to take Spanish classes to reinforce what you know, also it's a good social way to meet friends and pass the time.

Is there anything else that we should know or be prepared for? I'd like to hear anything you might suggest. Perhaps there is something that I don't even know to ask!

Just have an open mind.

We are really excited and so grateful for your considerate time and advice.
good luck

Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
I just started a thread on Cordoba then found this.

Has anyone actually been to or lived in Cordoba?

Not much rental or for sale properties online.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
MIL ANUNCIOS.COM - Anuncios de pisos por alquilar en cordoba pisos por alquilar en cordoba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe