U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
UK 11 21.15%
Italy 19 36.54%
Austria 18 34.62%
An Equal Preference/Tie Between Two of the Countries or All Three Countries. 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,579,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

However, Brighton is kind of disappointing if that is the Nice France for England. How can any British person feel superiority over France when France is clearly the better superior country in so many categories.
Who said Brighton is the Nice of England?

On another note - why the disdain for England? I can swear that you had nothing but praise for the place just a few months ago. Did you finally visit and was disappointed? Or are you continuing your past-time of dishing out opinions on places you do not know very well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,126,445 times
T@ thepastthe present and the future (wow what a pseudo!) : I agree weather and climate are very important to me (to us, my spouse and me), does it make us "less fulfilled" and "less interesting " human beings in your eyes ?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:56 PM

263 posts, read 815,859 times
France and England are not an easy comparison. I for one may be slightly biased against France because of its neglect to take action on its economy.

However, if I had to choose between being born in the two, I would probably choose... France.

The well known countries in Europe (UK, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Russia) seem to not be as good as the smaller ones (Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium) in my opinion. I would say it has to do with it's population, however Germany is actually a pretty great country, and there are also worse such as Poland, Slovakia and Portuga that are are not very well known.

But there is Denmark, a fairly well known nation that stands out with exceptional living qualities.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,921,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do people ever take road trips to Morocco? or do i sound crazy?
I don't know. Most of my actual knowledge of this is second hand stuff I learned from talking with Dutch, English or Belgian friends, so I could be wrong. Many told me it's not uncommon for people to drive from Amsterdam to Andalusia, the Amalfi coast, etc. I'm sure side trips to Tangier or Ceuta are fairly common but everyone I know who has told me about visiting Morocco went there by plane.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,811,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'm a bit puzzled by that comment, it's not all that far. Plenty of people do such trips every year, of course it's quite a drive from Calais to Reggio Calabria but it's not outlandish or unheard of at all. Actually, as you're from America, I didn't think you'd say such a thing, given that many Americans drive MUCH longer distances than that.
There is approximately 600 miles/965 km+ just from Southeastern England to the most Northwestern part of Italy. Also, at least 800 miles to 1,000 miles/1,287km to 1,609km to other areas of Italy.

I assume Invincible3 wants to visit most areas of Italy, including further away from the Northwest regions.

That objectively is a very long far distance with car, especially with having to bring that car onto that Rail tunnel between France and UK, at least 12 hours to 30 hours+ of driving that takes at least 5 to 7 days just for driving.

I would just take an airplane from UK to Italy and then rent a car when in Italy.

That post for that also made it sound that Invinceable3 wants to frequently go on those road trips between UK and Italy at least more than once per year.

Well, I am from a part of America in Seattle/Pacific Northwest and New York City/coastal Northeast where a much lower percentage of people drive a car compared to Minnesota part of USA and for much shorter distances on average.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Italy to U.K. is nothing, i guess i dont know about expenses though... i figured if i buy a car with good gas mileage i would be good? i guess it would be smart to take more train trips instead of road trips.
Quote:
Do people ever take road trips to Morocco?
I would take some more airplane and train trips for that geographic distance. The previous post said the amount of miles and hours of driving from UK to Italy.

I donít know, maybe you really donít want to live in the UK that much after all if you want those frequent Italy trips.

With Morocco, you would have to cross two small bodies of water in the way and put your car on a train and a boat. And car theft might be a problem in Morocco.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Who said Brighton is the Nice of England?

On another note - why the disdain for England? I can swear that you had nothing but praise for the place just a few months ago. Did you finally visit and was disappointed? Or are you continuing your past-time of dishing out opinions on places you do not know very well?
I was just making a brief comparison between Southeastern France and Southeastern UK, including coastal cities/towns such as Nice vs. Brighton. That indeed shows a huge disparity between both countries and there is plenty of other subtle examples similar to that.

I wouldnít necessarily say I have disdain for England. I have mixed views for UK/England, but I did have a gradual decline in perception for UK in the past few months to 2 years+.

The more I know about France and other European countries, the less enchanting the UK seems.

I already visited France and UK. My experience in France was a lot better, but it was good enough in UK. However, there is so many other places to see and explore further, especially in France.

Maybe my views for UK/England is just a brief phase that can change, but I find it entertainment to compare France and UK, and kind of making fun of UK sometimes, but just for some light hearted jokes, so donít be offended.

There is still some qualities I enjoy and respect about UK, but there is plenty I am not really enthusiastic with compared to before.

I know plenty of places in the World very well, so I am not sure why you wrote that sentence in that way because you already know how much of an expert I am on the World with so many perfect, important, specific posts.

Are you continuing your past time of wasting a lot of time in the Weather forum with endless silly debates about 41 degrees F/5c vs. 42 degrees F/6c temperatures in England, the made up differences between the same exact clouds/drizzle in UK weather, and how much you want an endless ridiculous amount of snow?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
T@ thepastthe present and the future (wow what a pseudo!) : I agree weather and climate are very important to me (to us, my spouse and me), does it make us "less fulfilled" and "less interesting " human beings in your eyes ?
A “pseudo” is such a false term for that. I already know the exact definition for that term and the negative connotations related to “pseudo.”

Someone that has a username such as “ThePastPresentAndFuture” obviously can be impressive and is the real deal for someone that can know a lot about life for plenty of important topics. I am sure you are aware of that but just denying it.

I see you did not respond yet to what I said in the Quality of Life Topic in the World forum about France vs. Mexico. I guess you finally agreed with everything I said again.

I am surprised that was all you said earlier about UK vs. Italy vs. Austria.

Well, it depends on how someone views what you mention. I wouldn’t say that makes someone less fulfilled/less interesting as long as they also focus on plenty of other parts of life that they view important.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
France and England are not an easy comparison. I for one may be slightly biased against France because of its neglect to take action on its economy.

However, if I had to choose between being born in the two, I would probably choose... France.

The well known countries in Europe (UK, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Russia) seem to not be as good as the smaller ones (Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium) in my opinion. I would say it has to do with it's population, however Germany is actually a pretty great country, and there are also worse such as Poland, Slovakia and Portuga that are are not very well known.

But there is Denmark, a fairly well known nation that stands out with exceptional living qualities.
I agree that France vs. UK/England in some ways is not easy to compare and maybe can cause a lot of controversy.

There are certain countries that go more easily with a comparing discussion and this one is a perfect example with UK vs. Italy vs. Austria.

How would you specifically define the “exceptional living qualities” that Denmark has? In some ways I can see that being accurate for Denmark, but in an equal amount of other ways the perception with quality of life in Denmark appears so overrated.

Well, there is an even mix of larger vs. smaller sized countries in Europe that can be seen with a lot of value and respect.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,940 times
ThePast,the present and future

Hi ....your nick collects the multi-dimensional essence..
at this point I would say that everything that needed to be said.... has been said.

So, after having taken a look at the results of the pool, l will proclaim the winner

to the cd odiens

LADIES ....GENTLEMAN......and you.....

The winner is.................ITALYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Queen - We Are The Champions (HQ) (Live At Wembley 86) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe