U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
UK 11 21.15%
Italy 19 36.54%
Austria 18 34.62%
An Equal Preference/Tie Between Two of the Countries or All Three Countries. 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 AM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
A “pseudo” is such a false term for that. I already know the exact definition for that term and the negative connotations related to “pseudo.”

Someone that has a username such as “ThePastPresentAndFuture” obviously can be impressive and is the real deal for someone that can know a lot about life for plenty of important topics. I am sure you are aware of that but just denying it.
Unless I'm mistaken, pigeonhole is French; "pseudo" has been used (instead of username or screen name) in French for a long time. I know I used that term in the pre-Internet era (BBS).

You are indeed the most peculiar poster on the World forum. Impressive? The real deal? I don't know about that. "Quality of people"?? Sheesh, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM

122 posts, read 234,969 times
i lived and worked in all three. I like the UK best

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 AM

7,751 posts, read 6,579,797 times
Quote:
However, Brighton is kind of disappointing if that is the Nice France for England. How can any British person feel superiority over France when France is clearly the better superior country in so many categories.
Who says that Brighton is the 'Nice' of England!!!???? If you want blue sea's, sandy beaches and palm trees you need to head to the South West of the UK, Brighton is more like London-by-the-sea than Nice!!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,094,166 times
In my opinion, this type of thread is not constructive, proponents should take into account that it inspires negative feelings

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM

7,751 posts, read 6,579,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
In my opinion, this type of thread is not constructive, proponents should take into account that it inspires negative feelings
Most posts on the Euro forum seem to turn into 'UK bashing' :-).

Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,650,440 times
Quote:
I would take some more airplane and train trips for that geographic distance. The previous post said the amount of miles and hours of driving from UK to Italy.

I don’t know, maybe you really don’t want to live in the UK that much after all if you want those frequent Italy trips.

With Morocco, you would have to cross two small bodies of water in the way and put your car on a train and a boat. And car theft might be a problem in Morocco.
Trust me i would love to live in the United Kingdom, i just like taking road trips so thats why i was asking. Just curious if the American road trip culture is popular in Europe.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 PM

8,118 posts, read 6,633,811 times
Some people do road trips during summer holidays. A friend of mine did a Scandinavia roadtrip a couple summers ago and a Spain one the year before. I went to Scotland by car last summer and there were quite a few Dutch, German, French and Belgian camper trucks on the touristy roads. In southern France and I guess most of southern Europe, you'll see lots of Dutch and German campers.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,802,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, pigeonhole is French; "pseudo" has been used (instead of username or screen name) in French for a long time. I know I used that term in the pre-Internet era (BBS).

You are indeed the most peculiar poster on the World forum. Impressive? The real deal? I don't know about that. "Quality of people"?? Sheesh, no thanks.
Oh, so the word pseudo might have another definition in French and be another word for username/screen name. Well, I guess I misinterpreted that part of the post. In English, at least based on wikipedia and free online dictionary, the word pseudo can have negative connotations.

I am almost perfect, but I admit I misinterpreted a tiny part of 1 post, and accidentally noticed for 2 minutes the source with the off topic direction.

However, you are certainly using the word peculiar in a false way, unless you are referring to yourself and you always taking posts out of context, and in an off topic direction.

I am one of the best, most informative posters on the website in the World, Europe, Asia, Great Debates, Urban Planning, and some other forums too for plenty of important topics.

Wow, so the Quality of People category does not matter to you? That says a lot about yourself if that is the case. People matter so much in every country.

Anyways, time to bring this back on topic about UK vs. Italy vs. Austria and just focusing on those countries.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
ThePast,the present and future

Hi ....your nick collects the multi-dimensional essence..
at this point I would say that everything that needed to be said.... has been said.

So, after having taken a look at the results of the pool, l will proclaim the winner

to the cd odiens

LADIES ....GENTLEMAN......and you.....

The winner is.................ITALYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I am glad other people appreciate the user name. It does collect a multi-dimensional essence. I might change my user name soon but this one is good enough.

Austria and Italy are now equally tied with the same amount of votes, but I bet that is going to change again soon. Looks like the UK is not that popular in Europe after all.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM

I should have this up again because this recently went a bit too off topic:

Quote:
These are my current personal opinions for UK, Italy, and Austria based on the specific categories/characteristics/qualities:

Excitement/Entertainment Options/Things To Do:
That can sometimes be subjective and depend on individual preference for what someone is looking for in day to day life. However, there is also a lot of objective standards that relates to everyone. I’ll focus on both of those sides in perception.

Austrian and Italian cities/towns offer plenty of excitement and entertainment options, but UK cities/towns have more variety in some ways for what they actually offer.

In other ways, Austria and Italy have more variety for Scenery, Regions, and more options for cities/towns that seem different from each other, even if those cities/towns themselves don’t actually offer more variety for actual activities.

That paradox does exist. Almost a three way tie, but overall I rank Italy first, Austria second, and UK/England third.

Cities/Towns: I’ll say my favorite cities/towns in each of these 3 countries and then see the country that has the best options with that for quality and quantity/total amount.

For Austria: Vienna, Innsbruck, Linz, Salzburg, Graz.
Italy: Genoa, Milan, Turin, Venice, Trento, Sanremo, Trieste, Rome, Florence.
UK: London, Edinburgh, Brighton, Liverpool.

Overall, I would say Austria is 1st, Italy 2nd, and UK/England 3rd.

Nature scenery: This one is a lot easier to figure out. Two way tie for Austria and Italy. UK distantly in last place.

Culture:
They all represent at least 3 separate major cultural sides of Europe, and that is one of many reasons why that is an excellent balanced combination of European countries to talk about together.

There is a lot that can be related to the idea of culture and what that indicates. A lot of it can also depend on personal preference.

Overall, I say Austria is 1st for this, and then in close distance UK and Italy at a two way tie.

Quality of Life:
I said a lot about everything related to quality of life in a separate topic in the World forum, so here I’ll just briefly rank these 3 countries. Austria 1st, and Italy/UK after that at another two way tie but for different reasons.

Music scene:
I just know a lot more about UK’s music scene. However, I am sure Austria and Italy also have plenty of good, pleasant, exciting, impressive, invigorating music.

I wonder what Austria and Italy are like for Rock n’Roll and Electronic/Trance/House music genres.

Food/Dining scene: For variety: UK, Austria, Italy.

For local cuisine originally from there: Italy, Austria, UK.

I love Italian cuisine but I also love Thai, Indian, Chinese, French, Malaysian, Singaporean, Japanese, Mexican, etc.

It seems UK and Austria has more variety for those other food options compared to Italy and I can prefer large variety over original local cuisine.

Education: Austria, UK, Italy.

Politics/Government: Austria, UK, Italy.

Economy: Austria, UK, Italy.

History:
A three way tie. All 3 countries have fascinating and impressive history.

Nightlife: Probably UK first, Austria 2nd, Italy 3rd. However, I noticed plenty of mixed reviews for UK nightlife.

Architecture: Austria and Italy are equal for this and they are some of my favorite countries for that. UK is a bit in the distance last place. I am not sure why but UK architecture just started to seem a bit too similar in appearance all the time, just not as visually pleasant compared to Austria/Italy, but I can change my views for UK architecture.

Quality of People: Austria 1st, UK and Italy tied for 2nd place.

Number of annual foreign visitors: Italy, UK, Austria based on actual statistics I read about for that. In the year 2011, Italy had 46 million tourists, UK 29 million, and Austria 23 million people.

Sociological/racial/ethnic diversity: UK 1st, Italy 2nd, Austria 3rd. The UK clearly has a lot more of that but that can be found in decent amounts in Italy and Austria.

Most peaceful to least peaceful: Austria, Italy, UK.

Least corrupted to most corrupted: When talking sociologically and everything outside of politics/government: Austria, Italy, UK.

When just referring to Politics/Government: Austria, UK, Italy.

Most impressive to least impressive: Italy and Austria are tied for most impressive. UK is not far behind.

How do people in Austria, UK, and Italy view each other? Austrians honestly don’t really seem to have positive/optimistic views of UK, especially outside of economy. There is some level of respect for UK but also kind of anti-British, or just apathetic with UK.

Austrians know Italy is very different from Austria in plenty of ways but seem to view Italy in a more positive/optimistic/respectful way compared to UK.

I’m not sure how people in UK view Austria but it’s probably not the same as how Austrians view UK.

Italians and Britons appear very idealistic with each other and not quite realistic for all that happens in each country. At least that idealism is friendly, showing interest for that other country, and can bring good relations.

The way Italians view Austrians is probably not exactly the same as how Austrians view Italians.

Which two countries are most similar to each other? All 3 countries are all very different from each other but in a very intriguing, and magnificent way, and they just had to be discussed together in the same topic just for these 3 countries.

What single country is most different from the other 2 countries? The same response for what I said in the question above.

What country would you choose to live in and is best for that? Austria 1st, Italy 2nd, and UK 3rd, even with varying living situations. I am sure I could easily have a high quality life in all 3 countries and knowing what to get from each country.

What country do you think is best to visit? All 3 of these countries have plenty to offer. However, I would say Italy and Austria are equally tied for the best to visit, and UK is very close/almost tied with them for visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe