U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM

263 posts, read 815,466 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this... But

If I wanted to become fluent in Dutch (another European language) - what would you say to use? Rosetta Stone? I learned Danish through Transparent.

Are there are alternatives (maybe free)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 PM

5,320 posts, read 11,001,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Not sure if this is an appropriate place for this... But

If I wanted to become fluent in Dutch (another European language) - what would you say to use? Rosetta Stone? I learned Danish through Transparent.

Are there are alternatives (maybe free)
Go there (else you will NEVER get to be *fluent*), you are not that far away ...
Then get a girl friend (sadly not entirely free), and the rest takes care of itself !

Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 AM

I'm legally a resident of Italy, and this is fine by me!

However, if going there to learn a language is the best way, so be it. I have several close Dutch friends I know via the internet would like to communicate with and surprise them by using their own language.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,101,285 times
I really recommend some sort of language class at the university or similar institutions. Interaction with others is a huge benefit when learning a language.

As far software is concerned: I heard good things about Rosetta Stone, but I really don't know about the Dutch version.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
if going there to learn a language is the best way, so be it.
I learned 4 languages while in school, but only became fluent when I started to live and work in the countries of that specific language.

You do have one advantage, and that is you bilingual capability already, if I may assume that you do speak English and Italian (you live there ?)
Once you know two of them, than all you need is *vocabulary and pronunciation*.
You might even pick up the local dialect ...

I think the grammar is similar when you know Italian.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I learned 4 languages while in school, but only became fluent when I started to live and work in the countries of that specific language.

You do have one advantage, and that is you bilingual capability already, if I may assume that you do speak English and Italian (you live there ?)
Once you know two of them, than all you need is *vocabulary and pronunciation*.
You might even pick up the local dialect ...

I think the grammar is similar when you know Italian.
Yes, I do live here and speak both of them.

Anyway, it was more of a thing for my friends. I visit them often but don't have intentions to live / work there in a Dutch speaking country.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I visit them often but don't have intentions to live / work there in a Dutch speaking country.
I know what your *problem* is with Dutch Friends.
You will have a hard time making them speak Dutch to you !!!
You just have to insist !

In my case, when we visited our family in Holland, all the cousins of our kids (our kids do not speak Dutch well -- my fault !) spoke English, and just refused to speak Dutch to our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe