Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 AM

233 posts, read 449,467 times

Advertisements

Paris is more diverse, and I have been to the two cities.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Paris is more diverse, and I have been to the two cities.
I have been to Paris and Madrid and Ive found London to be the most diverse by FAR , Paris is still very French, Madrid is still very Spanish but London is far more cosmopolitan, but what has that even got to do with the point I am trying to make?? The question is 'why do so many British people look Southern European' I suggest that its something to do with immigration and suddenly you start talking about Paris!???

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 AM

No, it does not have to do with immigration since were are talking here about ethnic British. Most "blackheads" come from rural settings without immigration and they are entirely British. They come in packages from their hometowns with no ethnic minorities at all. They speak unintelligible dialects.

And Paris is mostly non-European. French, rather rich and middle class, live in some downtown areas, but the vast majority lives in banlieus composed by blacks, nordafs, etc, etc.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Paris is still very French in the way it gores about its business and in the atmosphere of the city, London is not as English in atmosphere, anyway the point I have been trying to make is that historically (including very early history) the islands of Britain have been places that people have migrated to from other parts of the world (first by people from other parts of Europe, in more recent times from other parts of the planet) so perhaps this may explain the mix in the British look??

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
No, it does not have to do with immigration since were are talking here about ethnic British. Most "blackheads" come from rural settings without immigration and they are entirely British. They come in packages from their hometowns with no ethnic minorities at all. They speak unintelligible dialects.

And Paris is mostly non-European. French, rather rich and middle class, live in some downtown areas, but the vast majority lives in banlieus composed by blacks, nordafs, etc, etc.
Paris has a French feel to it. London has an international feel to it. The Architecture of Paris is European whereas the Architecture of London is just international.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
I found London to be more diverse. Paris may have a higher percentage of Africans, Middle Easterners and Muslims, however, it only happens in London that you are on a bus with a Sikh, a Hasidic Jew, an Eastern European, a hijab wearing Muslima, a Jamaican, an American and an Irish guy sitting next to you.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
I found London to be more diverse. Paris may have a higher percentage of Africans, Middle Easterners and Muslims, however, it only happens in London that you are on a bus with a Sikh, a Hasidic Jew, an Eastern European, a hijab wearing Muslima, a Jamaican, an American and an Irish guy sitting next to you.
It is just that "non-white diversity" in Paris is found more in the suburbs than in the city center
Which is less the case in London. If you visit Paris outisde the historic center you will see how "non-white" it is. In the greater Paris there are a lot more African (black African and north African) people than in London; while London has more people from southern Asia.

Also, in France it is not well seen as expressing a foreign cultural identity (the french republican integration model is different to the Anglo-saxon "multiculturalism"); as such you might see many people of north African (msot of them of not really distinguishable) or other origins in Paris and not even notice that they have non-french; and you feel they are "very french".
To me, compared to the republican assimilation model, I find a city like London with its ethnicized districts "multiculralism" to be very Anglo-saxon, as well as New York. That doesn't mean that those cities are more "diverse" it just means that deal with their diversity in a very different way than it is done in France (I didn't say that one was better than the other)

That said, even in the historic part of the city there are a lot of diversity even if it seem to be more "white". (most people you'll meet in the street of Paris city center are not french people), but tourists, and more "high class diversity" usually more "white", with many Anglo tourist and expats, as well as Chinese, Japanese, European, etc. students, expats, etc). Go around notre-Dame, St Michel, chams Elysées, etc... very few french people there. I think many tourist, when walking in Paris historical areas do not realise that 80% of the people they see in the streets are not french; but Germans, British, Spaniards, Americans, Dutch, Russians, etc...

Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Paris has a French feel to it. London has an international feel to it. The Architecture of Paris is European whereas the Architecture of London is just international.
London has a English feel to it. London (also New York) to me is a VERY Anglo city. Both APris and London as as much international, on is international in an Anglo way the other in a french way. That's it.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
anyway the point I have been trying to make is that historically (including very early history) the islands of Britain have been places that people have migrated to from other parts of the world (first by people from other parts of Europe, in more recent times from other parts of the planet) so perhaps this may explain the mix in the British look??
What I'm trying to make you understand is that it is not different to the other European countries, including the other countries in northern Europe such as Netherlands or Germany; and certainly even less than in non-northern European countries such as France or even Spain or Italy. (during their histories, thanks to their central position, closeness to Africa, in contact to the mediterranean (not islands off in the north sea); have been obviously much more mixed than the British isles.

That is what I want to say that the UK is not an exception at all on this regard; even if it seem to makes you angry to hear that reality.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Paris is still very French in the way it gores about its business and in the atmosphere of the city, London is not as English in atmosphere, anyway the point I have been trying to make is that historically (including very early history) the islands of Britain have been places that people have migrated to from other parts of the world (first by people from other parts of Europe, in more recent times from other parts of the planet) so perhaps this may explain the mix in the British look??

Your knowledge of European history is next to nihil. England was only invaded by Romans, Barbarians and William the Conqueror in 1066. Countries like Spain, France, Germany or Italy have been invaded dozens of times, they have changed hands many times. The migration of people from other parts of Europe is insignificant compared to countries like France, Spain or Germany.

If you watch films about England during the 40's, there were no non-Europeans there. Great Britain started to receive non-ethnic immigrants during the 50's, before there was none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe