Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Right, because you have met them all. Lololol.
You dont need to meet every single national of a country to establish comparisons.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
The person in denial is you, who tries in every moment to distance the UK and France, Turning France in a typical romance bull fighting country and ENgland in a thor-look-alike northern european one, both very distant from the really.
Well, southern France is actually a typical romance bull fighting area.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM

599 posts, read 2,593,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascarrillo View Post
Well, southern France is actually a typical romance bull fighting area.

Your are right, mediterranean southern france is, but not france as a whole, let alone northern france.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Quote:
Your are right, mediterranean southern france is, but not france as a whole, let alone northern france.
southern France is as much France as northern France... As "easthome" you seem to assume that "France" is somehow limited to the north of it... Curious. Is only Germany only northern Germany? or Italy only northern Italy?...

By the way, bullfighting is not specifically "latin/romance". Italy doesn't practice it.

Also, not all regions of Spain or Portugal are practicing bullfighting, and bullfighting in France is as much (if not more) a south-west thing (Atlantic regions, Aquitaine, Basque country, etc.) as a "mediterranean southern french" thing.
http://static.ladepeche.fr/content/p...21450_zoom.jpg

Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
What means light hair? lightbrown to light blonde? Most brits have medium/mousy brown hair, then darkbrown/black, then lightbrown/darkblonde, then red and the least common is light blond.

If light brown means anything from lightbrown to any shade lighter (including red) then I doubt anything above the 40% mark of britons would actually be considered fair haired. Poland as a whole is slighty blonder than the UK, Russia is blonder than both of those countries.
Would you stop confusing Londoners for brits for the love of god.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
No, the british (trow Irish in) are just noticeable darker than the rest of northern europe.

The person in denial is you, who tries in every moment to distance the UK and France, Turning France in a typical romance bull fighting country and ENgland in a thor-look-alike northern european one, both very distant from the really.

For me the British just look closer to the people in northern france (not exactly but somewhat similar)

Lastnames existing in both UK/France:

Archer
Barret
Baron
Barron
Barry
Beaumont
Bennet (mostly Scottish in UK)
Berry
Bodin
Burton
Cantillon (rare in England)
Colson
Cousin
Darcy
Dillon (rare in France)
Ferry
Forest
Fort
Granger
Granville
Harcourt (rare in France)
Hardy
Havard
Hayes
Herbert
Jolly
Jordan
Lambert
Lombard
Mace
Mandeville (rare in France)
Morel (rare in Britain)
Noble
Page
Paget
Parry (mostly Welsh in UK)
Percy (rare in France)
Perry
Roche
Rose
Roy
Royal
Salmon
Samson (mostly Scottish in UK)
Talbot
Vernon
Stop now. Just stop! The British and the French have nothing in comparison when it comes to genealogy. I have spent 3 years doing my family tree I know alot about Genealogy and the French certainly did not have an input. The French hate the brits too much. (Honestly)

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Stop now. Just stop! The British and the French have nothing in comparison when it comes to genealogy. I have spent 3 years doing my family tree I know alot about Genealogy and the French certainly did not have an input. The French hate the brits too much. (Honestly)
Ever hear of the Plantegenets?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Or Brittany

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
The french do not hate the British. Being different doesn't mean we should hate each other. most french people do not care much for British, let's remind us that we have 7 other neighboring countries to care about.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Ever hear of the Plantegenets?
The Plantagenets almost never put their feet on British soil. They were just owning the land.
We shouldn't confuse in the middles ages, as many people do, the history of the owing aristrocraties with people's histories. They were usually distinct. When we speak about the 100 years wars and we say it was wars between French and English people, that is completly wrong. All this is pure historic deformation. The 100 years war was a war between two french-based owning families which one of them just happend to own lands in Britain thank to their mariage with Normand families. "french" and "english" (if we can say such a thing already existed) peoples at that time were just puppets of these rivalry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe