U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 AM

2,645 posts, read 4,026,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
It's hard to say that when you already know their nationality.

The issue is when people actually don't know and that's when truth comes out that they really don't have the eye they think they have. Say I put any of these people in the pictures of those Spanish soccer fans. Nobody here would pick them out and say they're not Spanish and these are not exceptions to the rule. They are all famous and all common features at least in [sunnier] America. Lighter features are simply more common in northern Europe where Germanics had more of an influence along with the fact that people can't really go out and get a tan when it's 55 degrees and overcast. That's it. The Spanish are not a different race from the British and when a someone of British Isle descent inherits darker features they could easily fit in southern Europe where a good chunk of their ancestry hails from, just as there are many Spaniards who can fit in England as proven in the soccer photos. Heck, these people below are darker featured than a decent portion of the people in the Spanish soccer pictures.

Ben Affleck (Irish, English, Scottish and German)

George Clooney (Irish, English, German)

Megan Fox (Irish, Scottish, English, French, German, and supposed but questionable Cherokee)

Grainne Seoige (Irish)

Colin Farrell (Irish)

You can post individuals from every country that look a certain way. I could post pictures of Irish, English etc that could fit in Scandinavia as well. It is when you get group pictures that you can tell as the people above are not representative of what the majority of people look like in the British Isles. Most of them are also American of mixed ancestry. Grainne Seoige and Colin Farrell are both very goodlooking but not all Irish people have that colouring. You really need crowd photos to compare and not cherrypicked pictures. Also what are you basing your statement on that a good chunk of British Isles ancestry is from Spain?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:12 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,037,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
Clearly you missed the point. As for exceptions, that woman was no exception.
Then, why all people who pretend that British people are dark always post the same few "exemples"... Of people who are usually not even British but Americans of mixed ancestry or Irish people...

Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 AM

2,645 posts, read 4,026,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Then, why all people who pretend that British people are dark always post the same few "exemples"... Of people who are usually not even British but Americans of mixed ancestry or Irish people...
Colin Farrell always gets a good showing in these types of threads. You could also post a picture of Ronan Keating to show that all Irish people are fair. It is just cherrypicking examples of what suits the agenda.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 AM

21,125 posts, read 19,157,951 times
I agree with virulentpeach.

Yes, Brits are no different race compared to Spaniards or Greeks or Germans etc. Europeans (except immigrants of course) are white. However, we are different peoples that developed by various phases of isolation, migration, and specific mixing. Same thing in Africa. Nigerians look completely different from Ethiopians, despite being referred to as black, i.e. the same race, having brown/black eyes and brown/black hair. The physiognomy is different, the body figure is different...

Regarding those actors and actresses, one of the reasons why people are successful in show business is because they look different and better than the average wherever they come from.
Clooney for instance does definitely not look like your typical Brit, which is one reason he is adored by women. The Latin look is in demand in the entertainment industry. Fox does not have a typical Mediterranean physiognomy. My mother also has dark brown hair and green eyes, but she looks nothing like Portuguese women with brown hair and green eyes. Brown hair and/or brown eyes do not automatically make you look Mediterranean.

There is a German singer (terrible at that, by the way ) who might pass for a Spaniard, but still, despite being nothing but northern German, she does not represent the standard look of Northern Germans, unfortunately...

Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 AM

200 posts, read 222,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
You can post individuals from every country that look a certain way. I could post pictures of Irish, English etc that could fit in Scandinavia as well. It is when you get group pictures that you can tell as the people above are not representative of what the majority of people look like in the British Isles. Most of them are also American of mixed ancestry. Grainne Seoige and Colin Farrell are both very goodlooking but not all Irish people have that colouring. You really need crowd photos to compare and not cherrypicked pictures. Also what are you basing your statement on that a good chunk of British Isles ancestry is from Spain?
I picked easy and famous people and posted their pictures. They descend from the British Isles, they are not pale and light haired and the majority of people in the British Isles do not have light features. They may be on the pale side yeah but it's not easy to tan when the weather sucks. These phenotypes are not rare whatsoever among British descendants. They are not as common as Spain but they are not uncommon by any means.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,385,400 times
I struggle to tan and so do most people. When i goto spain for like 2 weeks and sit outside everyday all I get is a slight really really light yellow tinge.

I dont burn though. On the otherhand my sister burns like hell.

My eyes are blue and every single person in my fathers family has blue eyes.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,037,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, at the same latitude as central France. (Just to prevent any misunderstandings, the red area in the map is not Switzerland, the bigger gray area to the right of it is.)
Many Europe maps are turned clockwise to a certain extent, that might create the impression that Switzerland is further to the South than it is, relative to France.
Yes, obviously the red area is not Switzerland but the exemple I give of the french region (Franche-comté) situated about at same latitude as Switzerland, west of it.

Many maps of Europe are not really "turned", but are projections that do not represent the same latitudes as horizontal lines (Lambert projections). Such projections can give the idea that palce that are represented horizontally lined are at the same latitudes when they are not actually.

In these maps, the places on the west and east part of the maps appear to be further north than they really are, in comparaision to the places situated more in the middle of the map.
When not paying attention to the few latitude lines, Northern Spain seems to be situated at the same latitude as Switzerland or Austria; when it is actually lined with Tuscany. The same way, north-western France seems to be at the same latitude as Northern Germany or Poland; when it is actually more like Bavarian or Austrian latitudes...

Other projections represent the parrallels as horizontal lines, and in that respect it is bett, but do not repect the surfaces; the areas in the north appear much bigger than they really are.
This kind of projection is usued in google maps. latitudes are good, but the lands in the north seem huge. Here Scandinavia is disproportionaed to the rest of Europe, especiall comparec with the south.
map europe - Google Maps

Quote:
I read somewhere that Ötzi was actually from Corsica.
I read this, but it was not said that he was from Corsica, but that he has some genes that today exist only in Corsica and Sardinia. Maybe these genetic characters were existing in other areas at that time, and because of their isolation those islands were a sort of refuge for those genes... we don't know actually.

Quote:
Seems that people from the Mediterranean have been roaming the Alps thousands of years ago for whatever reason
well, that's nt surprising at all... The Alps are not far from the mediterranean sea. the southern part of the Alps actually touch the med in the region of the Cote d'Azur. half of the french Alps are actually situated in the mediterranean region of Provence.

by the way "Otzi" has been found in Italy, not far from the Austrian border, less than 200 kilometers of the mediterranean sea. "people from the mediterranean" do not live in the sea itself but in the areas around it. The Alps have been sort of geographical barrier between the mediterranean area and "central Europe", but also somhow a meeting point peoples from both areas.

Quote:
Hehe, looking at your third map, that confirms what I witnessed in Britain.
Yes, Obviously. that is what we all wintnessed. For my experiences in England and Germany, England usually appear lighter than southern Germany.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 AM

200 posts, read 222,118 times
Quote:
I agree with virulentpeach.

Yes, Brits are no different race compared to Spaniards or Greeks or Germans etc. Europeans (except immigrants of course) are white. However, we are different peoples that developed by various phases of isolation, migration, and specific mixing. Same thing in Africa. Nigerians look completely different from Ethiopians, despite being referred to as black, i.e. the same race, having brown/black eyes and brown/black hair. The physiognomy is different, the body figure is different...

Regarding those actors and actresses, one of the reasons why people are successful in show business is because they look different and better than the average wherever they come from.
Clooney for instance does definitely not look like your typical Brit, which is one reason he is adored by women. The Latin look is in demand in the entertainment industry. Fox does not have a typical Mediterranean physiognomy. My mother also has dark brown hair and green eyes, but she looks nothing like Portuguese women with brown hair and green eyes. Brown hair and/or brown eyes do not automatically make you look Mediterranean.

There is a German singer (terrible at that, by the way ) who might pass for a Spaniard, but still, despite being nothing but northern German, she does not represent the standard look of Northern Germans, unfortunately...
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to phenotyping. I've already fooled people and I can do it again to anybody here and not by posting exceptions either but common cases.

As for northern Germans, what do you mean by "unfortunately?" There is absolutely nothing wrong with a blonde blue eyed girl. They're considered a standard of beauty throughout the world and icy blue eyes are simply magnificent.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by lobsta; 03-15-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 AM

25,060 posts, read 23,024,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Actually, lobsta is right, much to my error. I had this conversation with a Catalonian several years ago and it didn't click until lobsta pointed out my mistake. Much, if not all, of the Celtic peoples of the British Isles descended from Gaul and Galicia thousands of years ago. That would be your source as to why lobsta says some Brits can pass as Spanish, especially if they are Irish, Scottish, Welsh, or Cornish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I struggle to tan and so do most people. When i goto spain for like 2 weeks and sit outside everyday all I get is a slight really really light yellow tinge.

I dont burn though. On the otherhand my sister burns like hell.

My eyes are blue and every single person in my fathers family has blue eyes.
I tan super easily, and I burn moderately despite having naturally pale skin. My face and forearms, as a result, always look tanned but the rest of my body is as white as a sheet of paper.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,385,400 times
You are spanish descent. I have planned to do a geneology dna test and I bet my results will show scandavian haplogroup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or