U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,190 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438

Advertisements

Not really, just facts...

 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,190 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Germany and Britain are very similar actually. Both are more nordic than southern, but, thanks to their size, both have a few regions where the darker type prevails.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 AM
 
541 posts, read 1,236,875 times
Reputation: 916
It depends on the region. Northern Germany (states of Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklemburg-Vorpommern) tends to be more similar to the Dutch, English and Danish, whereas Eastern Germany (states of Brandenburg and Saxony) is basically a version of a German-speaking and non-religious Poland. However, this doesn't mean that there are only "Nordics" in the North, "Slavics" in the East and "Romans" in the "Deep South" (e.g. Bavaria). Any hair colour ranging from light blond to black is quite common all over Germany.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,751 posts, read 6,579,797 times
Reputation: 5261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germany and Britain are very similar actually. Both are more nordic than southern, but, thanks to their size, both have a few regions where the darker type prevails.
Neuling I am English and I live in England, I just want to state the facts once an for all because this thread is starting to get on my nerves, I have been to EVERY corner of this sceptered Isle and the fact is there are FAR more people with dark hair that there are blondes, now I couldn't say what its like in Germany because I've never been, but I have been to both Belgium and Holland and found both to be a little more blond - I don't think that dark haired Britain's look southern European though (apart from the ones that do!) lol It also doesn't mean that there are no blond and red headed Britain's too! Is there a higher percentage of brunettes in Britain compared to other North European countries? It seems so, but at the end of the day who cares? It means nothing!! :-)
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
 
607 posts, read 2,063,667 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
It depends on the region. Northern Germany (states of Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklemburg-Vorpommern) tends to be more similar to the Dutch, English and Danish, whereas Eastern Germany (states of Brandenburg and Saxony) is basically a version of a German-speaking and non-religious Poland. However, this doesn't mean that there are only "Nordics" in the North, "Slavics" in the East and "Romans" in the "Deep South" (e.g. Bavaria). Any hair colour ranging from light blond to black is quite common all over Germany.
England is by no means comparable to northern germany, even germany as a whole is easily much blonder and germanic looking than england. Blondes in many areas of the UK are quite uncommon, Even in southern germany blondes are seen everywhere.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
 
607 posts, read 2,063,667 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Being located in majority "dark-skinned" South America and only using some sick Online Genealogy forums as a source isn't a that appropriate experience, isn't it?
I have been to england many times, Even the british users on this forum have told that britain, specially southern england is 80% brunette, deal with it. Germany is blonder than the UK, but still not as blonde as a whole like scandinavia/netherlands/finland (although it can be to a regional level)
 
Old 04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,190 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Neuling I am English and I live in England, I just want to state the facts once an for all because this thread is starting to get on my nerves, I have been to EVERY corner of this sceptered Isle and the fact is there are FAR more people with dark hair that there are blondes, now I couldn't say what its like in Germany because I've never been, but I have been to both Belgium and Holland and found both to be a little more blond - I don't think that dark haired Britain's look southern European though (apart from the ones that do!) lol It also doesn't mean that there are no blond and red headed Britain's too! Is there a higher percentage of brunettes in Britain compared to other North European countries? It seems so, but at the end of the day who cares? It means nothing!! :-)
So what's your point? I was comparing Germany to Britain. Both are similar in that they are diverse, which is to be expected from big countries. People in southern Germany don't look like those in Hamburg or Berlin, either. I am talking about natives, though. Over the past decades a lot of people moved from the north to the south, which also shows in the dialects, where natives are complaining about the northern dialects moving in.

I assume there have been such migrations as well in Britain as it is also heterogeneous in terms of wealth and economy.

I have not been to every corner in Britain, but in the places I did visit, people seemed more nordic on average than in Bavaria where I come from. That goes especially for Newcastle. In many UK cities there are lots of minorities, which makes the general population seem darker than it would be without them.

I agree with you that even those darker white Brits don't look southern European, though.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 AM
 
314 posts, read 965,273 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So what's your point? I was comparing Germany to Britain. Both are similar in that they are diverse, which is to be expected from big countries. People in southern Germany don't look like those in Hamburg or Berlin, either. I am talking about natives, though. Over the past decades a lot of people moved from the north to the south, which also shows in the dialects, where natives are complaining about the northern dialects moving in.
But the diversity of looks in the UK or Germany should have other reasons than the size of the country.
Greece is a small country but very diverse and Spain is bigger than UK or Germany and is quite homogeneous.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,128,893 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
I have been to england many times, Even the british users on this forum have told that britain, specially southern england is 80% brunette, deal with it. Germany is blonder than the UK, but still not as blonde as a whole like scandinavia/netherlands/finland (although it can be to a regional level)
BS! You have NEVER been to ANY country outside of South America. You are completely ignorant of the world and it's peoples.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,190 posts, read 19,212,676 times
Reputation: 8438
Sure, history also plays a role, but so does size. The bigger a country, the more likely there are corners where people become kind of isolated and develop in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top