Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 AM

370 posts, read 950,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You have a sense of humour, so dark Germans like Goebbels, Himmler, Mattaus, Ballack, Schroeder, Kohl did not inherit their dark brown/ black hair from Southern Europeans, right? Dark hair in the British Isles is a Celtic heritage! Celts were not as blond as Teutons who were the blondest Europeans. Dark hair = dark brown or black hair, maybe you are a little confused. Areas with stronger Teutonic influence usually have more light blonds than those that don't. What the Celts have Germans lack, is red hair which is rarer than blond. However most people in British Isles are fair-haired as kids, this just darkens as they get older. It's time to stop being ridiculous and rather to think.

Again, reading cooked data in Internet. Ancient Teutons as described by Romans had mostly reddish hair. Blonde hair probably came later, quite recently, after the invasions from Jutland and Scandinavia.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,898 times
I don't want to continue this weird racial debate, however, there is just one last thing I want to make clear.

Saxonworld and Don_Caballero (looks like they are the same person anyway) don't know anything about the history of the European ethnicities at all. Firstly, "Teutonics", "Germanics", "Celts" and "Romans" don't have their own "genetic" countries and also don't form specific "ethnic" blocks. If Don_Cabellero claims that e.g. Germans are mostly "Germanics" or "Scandinavians" and British mostly "Celtic people", "Brythonics" (never heard of it before ) or "Romans" this is total nonsense.

There has been a LOT of inner migration and mixing going on for centuries between different nations and "tribes". For instance, Prussia (what today would contain Berlin, most of Eastern Germany and Poland) was always a destination for persecuted religious/ethnic minorities, hence, they had up to 30.000 French Huguenots residing in their boundaries which was about 20% of the total population in Berlin and surroundings back then in the 16th/17th century. Also, there were many Jews from Southern/Eastern Europe fleeing to that region and along with the Hugeunots became "random" and "unrecognizable" Germans/Prussians within one generation. Same goes for any other European region like parts of France, Britain, Italy, Spain etc.

Germany ≠ Germanics
British Isles ≠ Celts
Italy ≠ Roman Empire

and no, British Indie bands like Oasis don't look "Southern European" at all:

"Gosh, they look sooo Sicilian or Cypriot, do they?"

Last edited by brabham12; 04-05-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
This is true. I had a discussion about this recently with another poster and I showed him this map of the distribution of blonde people in Europe:

Source: 214 - The Blonde Map of Europe | Strange Maps | Big Think

There are actually more blonde people in most parts of England and Scotland than there are in countries like Germany and the Netherlands. The dark-haired people primarily live in Wales, Southern England, Ireland and Northern Scotland. I'm sure the number of blonde people there is closer to 20% than to 49% although it's the same colour on the map.

You are actually right, but there is much better map posted by "French User". However I do agree with that southern Britain has the highest amount of dark eyes and hair in the British Isles.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
I don't want to continue this weird racial debate, however, there is just one last thing I want to make clear.

Saxonworld and Don_Caballero (looks like they are the same person anyway) don't know anything about the history of the European ethnicities at all. Firstly, "Teutonics", "Germanics", "Celts" and "Romans" don't have their own "genetic" countries and also don't form specific "ethnic" blocks. If Don_Cabellero claims that e.g. Germans are mostly "Germanics" or "Scandinavians" and British mostly "Celtic people", "Brythonics" (never heard of it before ) or "Romans" this is total nonsense.

There has been a LOT of inner migration and mixing going on for centuries between different nations and "tribes". For instance, Prussia (what today would contain Berlin, most of Eastern Germany and Poland) was always a destination for persecuted religious/ethnic minorities, hence, they had up to 30.000 French Huguenots residing in their boundaries which was about 20% of the total population in Berlin and surroundings back then in the 16th/17th century. Also, there were many Jews from Southern/Eastern Europe fleeing to that region and along with the Hugeunots became "random" and "unrecognizable" Germans/Prussians within one generation. Same goes for any other European region like parts of France, Britain, Italy, Spain etc.

Germany ≠ Germanics
British Isles ≠ Celts
Italy ≠ Roman Empire

and no, British Indie bands like Oasis don't look "Southern European" at all:

"Gosh, they look sooo Sicilian or Cypriot, do they?"

Not the same person as "Don", O.K. and to correct you, I might know more about European ethnicities, more than you ever will! I do know that there was a lot of inter-migration within Europe. Scots migrating
to Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia, German Palatinate coming over to Ireland, Flemish people going
to Britain, Ashkenazi Jews migrating to France, etc... I was debating with the Don, since I didn't agree
that most British looked Southern European. I didn't only voiced my opinion, but also scientific evidence.
This is not a racial debates, because it only involves one race. All indigenous Europeans are part of the
Caucasoid racial group by the way. Whether German/English/Spaniard, all are Caucasoids. None of them are Africanoid or Mongoloid people. So drop your 'racial debate'.[/quote]

Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
Again, reading cooked data in Internet. Ancient Teutons as described by Romans had mostly reddish hair. Blonde hair probably came later, quite recently, after the invasions from Jutland and Scandinavia.

You're so unknowledgeable! Go read Romans accounts in the battle of Germania, maybe then you might catch something. [/quote]

Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Caballero View Post
Ever been in england? besides a small patch in east anglia, england is far from blonde, dark and medium shades of brown predominate. England is in no way comparable to scandinavia, netherlands or even germany when it comes about blondness, also those figures come from different studies so they arent comparable. No everybody has the same definition of blond.
I didn't see many blondes in England on a three week vacation I took there. Most looked like me - medium brown hair. My family ancestry is predominantly of English and Lowland Scots stock and there is exactly one blond amongst my immediate family, grandparents and aunts/uncles. All the rest are brunette - mostly with blue eyes and fair skin.

One thing I did notice about England that is more pronounced than North America or Continental Europe - the number of Redheads. I've never seen so many natural redheads! Much greater frequency than here. I think that's more interesting feature of the population than the frequency of blondes.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Welsh, Northern English and Scots Irish, as well as the Black Irish and Northern Irish do have very dark hair and eyes. They seem to have medium complexions, with some more fair and other light skinned.

Some even seem to look Asian - my sister is partially of this ancestry and has slanted eyes. As did the late John Lennon.

In fact, all of the Beatles have dark hair and eyes. They seem to be perfect examples of this appearance.
Paul Mccartney although old now, had medium brown hair and and hazel-grey eyes, his skin tone is not olive but white, his facial features are refined like most Northern Europeans. Ringo Starr was not dark, he had medium brown hair and deep blue eyes, what's so dark about that? John Lennon also had dark reddish-brown hair and actually his beard was more of an auburn tone. George Harrison was the one
you had real deep dark brown. Not be dismayed by black and white pictures.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM

219 posts, read 436,193 times
Brits, southern European-looking? In whose world? Anyone studied the history of the peopling of England? A lot of Scandinavian and Germanic input, people! They don't call the language Anglo-Saxon for nothing, yo! There's major Germanic heritage going on there!

Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM

219 posts, read 436,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I didn't see many blondes in England on a three week vacation I took there. Most looked like me - medium brown hair. My family ancestry is predominantly of English and Lowland Scots stock and there is exactly one blond amongst my immediate family, grandparents and aunts/uncles. All the rest are brunette - mostly with blue eyes and fair skin.

One thing I did notice about England that is more pronounced than North America or Continental Europe - the number of Redheads. I've never seen so many natural redheads! Much greater frequency than here. I think that's more interesting feature of the population than the frequency of blondes.
My grandfather was from Scotland, and had red hair. Red hair used to be common among Germanic peoples, back when they were roaming around, conquering and colonizing. Romans and ancient Greek records describe the Germans as fierce and red-haired. Don't be surprised if you produce a kid or grandkid with read hair. A lot of us probably have that as a recessive gene.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
I just want to ask people to clarify what they mean by "Celtic" and "Germanic" as used in this thread. There is no such thing as "Celtic" genes and looks. There are Celtic languages. Celtic is such a misused term. I've read in this thread that darker hair is from the Celts. That is just ridiculous. Who were the Celts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe